Grand Final decided in 2 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the debate occurring at the moment about Melbourne teams having an unfair advantage in Grand Finals due to the game being at the MCG, another idea could be to hold 2 games of football to decide the Premiers.

So basically, it would be just like the International Rules series where the Premiers are decided on the best for and against across the two games.

Obviously, each game will be at each other’s home ground, however the higher ranked team can choose whether they play at home in game 1 or game 2 (an interesting decision if you ask me). So the last few Grand Finals would obviously tell a different story, given the Melbourne teams were the lower ranked sides.

I think Gil and the AFL would be keen on this as well, it would mean much more revenue for the AFL as there would be 2 Grand Finals and it’ll also show us who truly was the best team of the year.

• Banned
Grand Final game 2 would have the sting out of it with Richmond starting with a 48 point advantage, right?
Adelaide probably would have chosen to have game 1 in Adelaide, so I think there may have been a different result... Even with a 48 point start, I think Adelaide may have gotten close at their home ground against the Tigers, plus they wouldn’t have given up towards the end of game 1.

Anyway, I think it makes for an interesting topic of conversation.

Last edited:
The grand final has been played at the MCG for decades and previous iterations of interstate teams (the late 90s Crows, West Coast, Sydney, Geelong, Brisbane) have not had a problem winning grand finals at the venue. That their successors can’t is more down to their talent, not the venue.

I've seen far dumber on bigfooty.

But it would be wierd thinking you could win game 2 by 30 points but needed to win by 31 to win the flag. Also would make for some ugly footy if you have a massive win week 1 and needed to clog it up week 2

it is not well thought out at all. injuries in game 1? can you change line-ups? one day may be wet and the other hot, conditions change. as you point out different game plans making for ugly footy.
a system like this would leave indifference and you could not walk away satisfied you have a conclusive winner. when everyone joined the afl they knew where the grand final would be played. so the whiners need to sit down and shut the front door. their teams need to learn how to play at the park where dreams are made.

Adelaide probably would have chosen to have game 1 in Adelaide, so I think there may have been a different result... Even with a 48 point start, I think Adelaide may have gotten close at their home ground against the Tigers, plus they wouldn’t have given up towards the end of game 1.

Anyway, I think it makes for an interesting topic of conversation.
Perhaps. What about the 07 GF at Football Park?

I dont think the 2 leg system works. Is it used in any other comps except World cup Qualifiers and International rules?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume this would be like soccer where the scores are combined over 2 games.

Would there also be an away goals rule to separate ties where the combined scores are tied?

I've seen far dumber on bigfooty.

But it would be wierd thinking you could win game 2 by 30 points but needed to win by 31 to win the flag. Also would make for some ugly footy if you have a massive win week 1 and needed to clog it up week 2
That would add an interesting element to it IMO
I assume this would be like soccer where the scores are combined over 2 games.

Would there also be an away goals rule to separate ties where the combined scores are tied?
Yes this is a good idea actually, however extra time at wherever the 2nd game is would work as well...

also what if its a Crows v Eagle's GF ? where are you going to play the 2 games ?

If you play away, you're going to try and clog up the match and prevent scoring. If you run up the score in the first match, you're going to clog up the next match to prevent scoring. Could produce some ugly matches which often happens in legs of football matches.

To me the best (albeit unlikely) solution is to play the match in the biggest stadium in the state of whoever finished higher.

Firstly, it would massively degrade the excitement of the single game play off to decide the premier.

Secondly, the nature of a 2 game play off would lead to the away team trying to suffocate the game. Could easily lead to a stronger defensive focus.

Thirdly, would be 'fairer'. and lead to more $. So I could see the AFL doing it.

But not until the MCG deal is over - 2378

We did it in 2010 technically. And everyone whinged how unfair it was and how the sting went out of the replay/replays in general so much so the concept was abandoned and rules changed. Why would it suddenly work now?

I agree with the concept of highest team advantage and home state. Provided there is a big enough stadium. With ANZ soon gone Perth is the only one close.

Can't help think part of this is change for changes sake. GF and finals series have been played as is since 1990 (new finals format 2000). Why change now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back