B: Hibberd Omac Jetta
HB: Lever Fost Hunt
C: Lewis Tyson Jones
HF: Petracca Hogan Melksham
F: Garlett Tmac Hannan
R: Gawn Viney Oliver
Int: Brayshaw, Salem, Harmes, ANB

Depth: Stretch, AVB, Kent, Smith, Bugg, Weideman, Pederson, Vince

Most of the depth guys are a bit stiff in some respects. Wouldn't be surprised to see one more tall in the lineup (Pedo, Weed) replacing one of the bench or Hannan

Last edited:
My best 22 injuries aside:
B. Jetta OMAC Frost
HB. Hibberd Lever Hunt
C. Lewis Oliver Brayshaw
HF Trac Hogan Melksham
F. Jeffy TMAC Hannan
R Gawn, Viney, Jones

IC ANB Harmes Smith Salem

Plenty of quality depth with Pedo, Vince, Tyson, Stretch, Kent, Bugg, VDB. Hopefully Weid starts bossing the VFL around this year.

Pardon the intrusion Demons fans but thought I'd have a crack at Melbourne's best 22, away from the strategy threads. Happy to accept any feedback

FB: Neville Jetta ~ Oscar McDonald ~ Jake Lever
HB: Jordan Lewis ~ Sam Forst ~ Michael Hibberd
CEN: Jayden Hunt ~ Jack Viney ~ Christian Salem
HF: Christian Petracca ~ Tom McDonald ~ Dom Tyson/ Nathan Jones
FF: Jeff Garlett ~ Jesse Hogan ~ Mitch Hannan
1R: Max Gawn ~ Claton Oliver ~ Nathan Jones/ Dom Tyson
INT: Angus Brayshaw ~ Cameron Pedersen ~ Alex Neal Bullen ~ Oskar Baker/ Harley Balic

Pardon the intrusion Demons fans but thought I'd have a crack at Melbourne's best 22, away from the strategy threads. Happy to accept any feedback

INT: Angus Brayshaw ~ Cameron Pedersen ~ Alex Neal Bullen ~ Oskar Baker/ Harley Balic

21 of the 22 are solid picks.

Unless we have injuries I don't see Baker debuting or Balic getting in the team straight up.

Someone like Melksham, Vince or even Maynard would be in the team over Baker/Balic.

I like how you've named Lewis in defence as this is where he has been training.

Good effort from a neutral, only suggestions would be Melksham in there somewhere and Jones/Tyson won’t ever play HFF.

Good effort from a neutral, only suggestions would be Melksham in there somewhere and Jones/Tyson won’t ever play HFF.

I think Jones could run through a HFF for parts of a game, he has good goal sense, usually uses the ball well and would provide good defensive efforts. He is just even more useful in other parts of the ground (midfield or half back flank).

B: Jetta O Mac J Smith
HB: Hibberd Lever Lewis
C: Hunt Jones Brayshaw
HF: Milkshake Weid Salem
F: Petracca Hogan Garlett
R: Gawn Oliver Viney

Int: ANB, Tyson Harmes Hannan Stretch AVB Maynard Pedo Frost Bernie etc

Hibberd played 3rd tall pretty much all season after Smith went down plus the cascading effects of the Gawn and Hogan issues. Here Smith returns and can run off his man as second tall most of the time allowing Lever to play help defending third guy and freeing up Hibberd even more for running and getting on that left foot. Lewis is the playmaker, much better here than Vince of late. Hunt moves to the wing but can rotate with a half back too. Salem also has the half back rotation option but I like him as a high half forward attacking as one of our best kicks. Hunt I want binge watching Robbie Flower tape. For a dude with his acceleration and agility there's some Flower moves he could use on the wing and **** that would be exiting.

Oliver and Viney is a great one two punch plus Brayshaw and Petracca running through and you have some serious power on the inside. Need a big Gawn year and we can really climb the ladder. Excited as hell to see Hogan and Petracca come out and dominate, I like our half forward types, great foward line if we get a productive year out of Weid.

That's a team that can potentially win the premiership if enough things go our way IMO. :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::footy:
From an outsiders perspective moving Hunt to a wing and Lewis to half back makes a lot of sense. With a a bit more run and carry your midfield needs are completed sorted as you have wonderful depth in inside mids. I could see Stretch being in the team as he also seems to be good at playing a linking role too.
Fritsch I think will be an awesome pick. His foot skills look ridiculously good. My predicted best 22 for you guys includes a few players I think will elevate their play significantly in 2018. The addition this year of a bit more midfield pace compared to 2017 is all I think you need to be a genuine contender. Lever played a more accountable second tall role in his first year. He could play that role again very well I think as you could then free up Hibberd and Lewis to play a spare man role.
B: Jetta O.Mac J.Smith
HB: Lewis Lever Hibberd
C: Hunt Oliver Tyson
R: Gawn Jones Viney
HF: Hannan, T.Macdonald Pettraca
FF: Gartlett Hogan Fritsch

I/C Brayshaw, Salem, Stretch, Pedersen

Hey Demons supporters I was wondering your thoughts on Balic and Wiedeman. Is Balic healthy and good to go (assuming in the reserves) and how about Wiedeman will he be sniffing the best 22? Thanks and good luck this season.

Hey Demons supporters I was wondering your thoughts on Balic and Wiedeman. Is Balic healthy and good to go (assuming in the reserves) and how about Wiedeman will he be sniffing the best 22? Thanks and good luck this season.

Be surprised if either was in the 22 come round 1. Balic just hadn't played enough footy and his role around HF is probably our best stocked role. We have Harmes Petracca Melksham Fristch ANB who can all drift between midfield and forward as well as Vandenberg and Kent who were the preferred options in 2016.

For the Weed we have Hogan who will always play and the TMac who is going to surprise some people with how good of a forward he is. I honestly think he's just as if not a more dangerous prospect in the 50 than Hoges so those 2 will be first choice. Then as a backup you have Pedersen who will never kick you 7 but he is a team player and unselfish and loves a contested grab, also plays ruck. If we were closer to Carlton or North in the development curve I think Weid would play but as of this year he's not strong enough to play in a side that's aiming to play finals. Honestly he might he one that other teams could put a contract under and snaffle because all things going well he shouldn't play many games this year.

From an outsiders perspective moving Hunt to a wing and Lewis to half back makes a lot of sense. With a a bit more run and carry your midfield needs are completed sorted as you have wonderful depth in inside mids. I could see Stretch being in the team as he also seems to be good at playing a linking role too.
Fritsch I think will be an awesome pick. His foot skills look ridiculously good. My predicted best 22 for you guys includes a few players I think will elevate their play significantly in 2018. The addition this year of a bit more midfield pace compared to 2017 is all I think you need to be a genuine contender. Lever played a more accountable second tall role in his first year. He could play that role again very well I think as you could then free up Hibberd and Lewis to play a spare man role.
B: Jetta O.Mac J.Smith
HB: Lewis Lever Hibberd
C: Hunt Oliver Tyson
R: Gawn Jones Viney
HF: Hannan, T.Macdonald Pettraca
FF: Gartlett Hogan Fritsch

I/C Brayshaw, Salem, Stretch, Pedersen
With Melksham looking like he is in ridiculously good shape in the AFLX I think id have to put him in and leave out Stretch.

With Melksham looking like he is in ridiculously good shape in the AFLX I think id have to put him in and leave out Stretch.

Mate melksham would have been top 10 bnf for us in the 2nd half of the year. The move forward has unlocked his AFL potential. You wouldn't have found a more hated player when we traded for him and in the space of half a season he's almost at cult hero status.

Mate melksham would have been top 10 bnf for us in the 2nd half of the year. The move forward has unlocked his AFL potential. You wouldn't have found a more hated player when we traded for him and in the space of half a season he's almost at cult hero status.
The bloke is a gun. Anyone who says otherwise is an alien campaigner.

For the Weed we have Hogan who will always play and the TMac who is going to surprise some people with how good of a forward he is.

I honestly think he's just as if not a more dangerous prospect in the 50 than Hoges so those 2 will be first choice.

Then as a backup you have Pedersen who will never kick you 7 but he is a team player and unselfish and loves a contested grab, also plays ruck.

Agree with what you are saying about Weiderman Top. The acquisition of Lever and moving McDonald forward isn’t great for SW.

Unless there is a longer term injury his chances will be limited.

Might need to add greater versatility to his game in the VFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with what you are saying about Weiderman Top. The acquisition of Lever and moving McDonald forward isn’t great need for SW.

Unless there is a longer term injury his chances will be limited.

Might need to add greater versatility to his game in the VFL.

If he could learn how to run himself into the ground and then practice his ruck craft we don't have a natural back up to Gawn anymore. Either way I'd be more worried if he was 25 and not a 3rd year player. Has plenty of time to put on size

Updated:

FB: Jetta O. McDonald Lewis
HB: Hibberd Lever Brayshaw
C: Hunt Jones Neal-Bullen
HF: Petracca T. McDonald Melksham
FF: Garlett Hogan Hannan
RUC: Gawn Viney Oliver
INT: Salem Tyson Harmes Frost

EMERG: Maynard Pedersen Fritsch
DEPTH: Stretch Bugg Vince J. Smith Weideman Spargo Baker Balic Wagner Kent Kennedy-Harris Johnstone T. Smith Keilty McKenna vandenBerg King Petty Filipovic

If Viney isn't cherry ripe for round 1, either Fritsch to debut or give Maynard another crack.

Can somebody tell me why there isn't more love for Maynard? Had maybe the best VFL finals performance in recent memory last year, and got a taste of AFL footy after dominating the reserves.
Why is he not in any of these round one sides? We all saw what Hugh Greenwood brought to Adelaide.

Can somebody tell me why there isn't more love for Maynard? Had maybe the best VFL finals performance in recent memory last year, and got a taste of AFL footy after dominating the reserves.
Why is he not in any of these round one sides? We all saw what Hugh Greenwood brought to Adelaide.
Not sure where he fits, Midfield is pretty solid atm unless Viney isn't fit for round 1 then i'd play him

Is competing with Tyson for the same midfield spot, he will probably get a game round 1 if Viney misses.

I still believe Tyson needs a full preseason to be at his most effective. The years we have seen him struggle he's missed time with injury.

He hasn't missed any time so I like his chances.

Because we’ve got depth out the wazoo. We’ve got about 25 blokes who have legitimate best 22 claims on what they’ve shown at AFL level, not just VFL.

That said, I’ve always said that picking a Best 22 prior to the NAB/JLT is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you anywhere. Best performed will almost always get a gig.

Adelaide only has about 5 legitimate inside midfielders. We have closer to 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back