Autopsy 2018 JLT Series - Game 1: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Geary went off with concussion.
Billings & Bruce didn't play.

That's 3 key guys who could've made a difference today. Felt like we could've used a another key forward, Billings a obvious improvement. Geary our captain.

Roberton was useless. Weller was useless. Gilbert was useless. Feel embarrassed to call them our leaders

Very impressed with Clark and Coffield. I don't know why we persist with Gilbert. Lonie has a go but just isn't strong enough. Very disappointed with the one on one marking efforts tonight. We need to get Hickey back in the mix for his marking and skills- Longer is bloody terrible sorry.
Wait until the real stuff starts at least.

Kruez was always gonna beat Billy around the ground.

If Armo and Stuv go into the season with form like that we're seriously in with a finals chance.

Dunstan really positive, same with Lonie.

First half was garbage but once the cobwebs were blown out there was a lot to like.

Next JLT will be interesting, I'm actually pretty excited about this year.

Put a line through Long, Mav & Wright for round 1...unless they show a helluva lot more in jlt 2. Lonie, Gresh & Clark ahead of them, based off jlt 1. Billings to hopefully come back too.

Gilbert & Brown a couple of rusty trombones down back. But do we have better options? Hugh & Logan prob not ready.

Reckon there’s a bit to play out before we settle on a round 1 side.

Interesting to hear Roo seems to think we will just go with the two talls this year.

Coffield and Clark were both very good.

Paddy looked promising.

Dunstan looks like he’s going to have a big year.

None of Lonie, Long or Weller took their chance. The kids might go right ahead of them.

Gilbert looked pretty poor most of the night.

Our delivery going forward looked pretty poor. We’d want that to improve in the next game.
Thought Dunstan was pretty good last week and tonight but at this level inexcusable that he has no right foot

How many of the last 20 premiers went undefeated in the preseason? Anybody who thinks tonight's game is an issue is kidding themselves.
If we had been premiers over the last 20 years then fair enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was a pretty good hitout, and we'd be relatively happy with it. At times our decision making was still poor, especially with bombing long when we had short options. Paddy looked dangerous though.

Main positives for me were the look of Steven and Armo, who both look really fit and raring to go. That will change our team more than anything.

Savage is having a very good pre-season. Paddy was ok. Membrey is a gun.

A lot of others, while not dominating, showed enough for mine - Sincs, Dunstan, Ross, Gresh, they all had moments, which is what these matches are about.

Apart from that, Clark looks like a real find. Awesome off both feet. Coffield seems more like a hard-nut type, but I really like the look of him too.

Obviously we wouldn't be fussed at all with the result. But here were the concerning things for me:
-Gilbert was terrible. I think I'm done with him.
-Webster giving away dumb free kicks. Needs to stop.
-Weller was peripheral. For a guy fighting for his spot, he was poor. At this stage I'd have Lonie and Long ahead of him.

I would have added Billy Longer to that list at half time but he improved a lot in the second half.

Would like to see us clean up the forward entries a bit, but all in all, not a bad day.

Christ. God forbid the melt if this was a game that carried any sort of meaning.

It's a practice match. Everyone BREATHE. None of this counts for anything more than training purposes and match fitness. If the same football gets displayed regularly through the first 6 weeks then melt your little hearts out, until then..... chill.

Positives:
Dunstan looked great - had about 3 centre clearances in a row in the third
Armo - early on but was clean and hard
Coff and Clarke look the goods
Steven looks back to his old self

Negatives
Kicking out of defence looked poor with Gilbert being the worst.
Mav couldn't hit a kick then injured his ankle (will struggle to make the team even if fully fit)
Goal kicking still looks an issue although it was windy.
We still do that shit kick out to the pocket that never works
We can't stop teams that effectively use handball and run out of the back half. It just cuts straight through our zone.

Still the game means nothing and i don't think the coaches will be stressing too much.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without going into any of the others you mentioned, how the f### do you get a positive out of Paddy game.
Marking prowess.

Didn’t get knocked out & kicked 2 goals.

Dunstan, Steven, Gresh, Coffield- Stand outs for me.
HC and Coff easily in the best 22. Weller and gilbo out.
McCartin looking good, Acres looking scary. Armo is back!

Newnes has no business kicking at goal or anywhere near inside 50.

Did anyone else really like it when Marshall finally got a run in the ruck or was it just me?

Won a lot of stats. Just very poor going forward. Not a lot of new ideas on display in that regard which seriously makes me wonder about the coaches.

Paddy
Armo
Steven
Hunter
Coff
Savage
Dunstan

They're the obvious positives. Coffield very composed. Thought Ross Gresh Steele Membrey did enough. Ross didn't appear to break a sweat.

Gilbert Wright and Mav probably should be told to prepare for Sandy next week based off of tonight.

Good:

- CC Clark and Coffield were two of our best, both need to play Round 1. 20 disposals for Coff and 2 goals for Clark. Guns! Cheers Trout.

- Paddy looked real good.

- Armo looks fit finally, could be a big boost to our midfield. Steven looked closer to his best too in the second half.

- Reckon Dunstan is one of our best players now.

- Gresh and Sinclair look like they're going through the midfield more.

- Lonie was good, should play ahead of Mav Round 1.

Bad:

- Will wait till the real thing starts but getting harder to defend Mav, and I'm a fan. Shouldn't play Round 1.

- Gonna go a bit too early and predict that Gilbo is cooked based on tonight and AFLX. Hopefully not because he was very good last year.

- Carlton looked like they really wanted to win, we looked like we weren't too fussed. Deserved to lose.

- Robbo looked like he couldn't be stuffed, was terrible. Am sure he'll ramp it up come Round 1 but hope he's not the type of bloke that relaxes once he gets his big contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back