*CONFIRMED* Grand Final 2018 @ 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what we're afraid of.

A twilight/night Grand Final is inevitable and when we get used to it, we'll wonder why we didn't do it earlier......Like Friday night football, Easter Friday football, Womens football etc. Don't be frightened. We'll survive and be glad for the change once we let go.

One day we'll even have our Grand Finals being played in other states. If you know it's obvious, then maybe it should be.
No one is afraid of anything Twilight is just a s**t time slot

No one is afraid of anything Twilight is just a s**t time slot

It's really not when you consider the whole country in context.
Maybe you're saying a night slot would be better? I agree, but baby steps.
This league isn't particularly progressive and awaits the popular vote before making 'real' change.

If the change is made, this will be a huge positive for the racing industry. The Underwood Stakes meeting, held at Caulfield on the Sunday in recent years, will be able to move back to the prime Saturday afternoon timeslot. Potentially they could start the meeting around 10.30am with the last race finishing before 4pm.

Nah, they’ll do something stupid instead.

They were gift wrapped a public holiday with nothing on the day before and don’t even use it - they run in the country.

I'm not against this because "tradition", I'm against it because every time I go to a twilight game the crowd is dead. I went to 4 hawk prelims in a row:
1. 2011 v pies. Night game. Loudest crowd I've heard. 3 point game.
2. 2012 v crows. Crows came storming back and only just missed out on pipping us. Nearly fell asleep in the last quarter. Crowd didn't wake me up.
3. 2013. Night game. Crowd was so loud we couldn't hear the siren.
4. 2014 v port. Port came back, huge come back in the last quarter. I was in the bar, nobody was even watching the game.

4 close games. 4 prelims. 2 deadset thrillers. 2 valium pills.

Twilight is siesta o'clock. I bet if they measured crowd noise there would be a massive dip on twilight games. Three quarter time the sun goes down and that shitty wind comes in and everyone starts yawning. Disgusting atmosphere.

I'm not against this because "tradition", I'm against it because every time I go to a twilight game the crowd is dead. I went to 4 hawk prelims in a row:
2. 2012 v crows. Crows came storming back and only just missed out on pipping us. Nearly fell asleep in the last quarter. Crowd didn't wake me up.
4. 2014 v port. Port came back, huge come back in the last quarter. I was in the bar, nobody was even watching the game.

Twilight is siesta o'clock. I bet if they measured crowd noise there would be a massive dip on twilight games. Three quarter time the sun goes down and that shitty wind comes in and everyone starts yawning. Disgusting atmosphere.
Yes but you would have fireworks

So the Prelim worked well under lights... so does he mean the GF didn't during the day?

Same "argument" they made last year - "the Bulldogs/GWS prelim was fantastic". Yeah cos the game was fantastic had nothing to do with the timeslot.

Just ask yourself what serves the majority and will provide the better spectacle.
It's not hard to work out and hanging onto tradition for traditions sake is just silly.

Night GF doesn't work for families too well. Second half kids will start cracking the shits cos they're tired, will fall asleep and miss the end of the game and or post game celebrations. I realise not everyone has kids or cares about them but saying a night game works better for the majority is just wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe the AFL realise it is becoming too obvious that the best team don't win the flag and the less people that watch that occurrence the better.

So they should move the Melbourne Cup to 7pm?

And Bells Beach Classic?
Cox Plate started at 5pm last year, once Moonne Valley is properly upgraded it will eventually shift to a full blown night race just like the Manikato.

Caulfield Cup started at 4:30 last year, getting progressively later, and the MRC actually introduced Wednesday night twilight racing at Caulfield this summer!!

Victoria Derby was 4pm, also getting shifted back later in the card.

The biggest stumbling block for Melbourne cup is that Flemington doesn’t have the lighting infrastructure for night racing.

When all the other finals are played at twilight or night, it makes no sense to play the GF at a different time slot.

Finally we catch up with the rest of the world. About time.

I don't want to catch up with the "rest of the world." I like Australian Football because it is different.
Until the sports scientists got their claws into it in the last 20 years or so I'd argue that it was the greatest multi-skilled football in the world.
It still has its moments, just not quite as often as it used to.

If you want to catch up with the "rest of the world" why don't we remove two posts from each end,
put a net or a bar across/between the two remaining, reduce the number of players on the field and change the shape of the ball.

maybe the AFL realise it is becoming too obvious that the best team don't win the flag and the less people that watch that occurrence the better.

It isn't helped by the fact that most of the time the actual Grand Final is a pretty bad match for neutrals. I mean how many good Grand Final games have actually occurred in the last 20 years (from a neutral perspective). I think majority of them would be pretty poor games overall.

Load of s**t, hope this is fake news.

******* drives me nuts that people are constantly trying to change the great game we've got.

I love the orange glow across the field as the sun is almost setting towards the end of the game. The long shadows that indicate the season is gone. It's a sight you don't see during the regular season. It's one of a kind on Grand Final day.
It's perfect for a mid morning Grand Final breakfast at home, have a few beers and get ready for the post lunch start. It's over before the sun goes down and it's time to think about heading out for a few beers to discuss the game with people you've never met before.

It doesn't need to change, and it won't gain anything by changing.

It isn't helped by the fact that most of the time the actual Grand Final is a pretty bad match for neutrals. I mean how many good Grand Final games have actually occurred in the last 20 years (from a neutral perspective). I think majority of them would be pretty poor games overall.
The Sydney v West coast were pretty epic for neutrals but there have been some shockers i.e. Hawks pumping West Coast.

Last year was exciting despite the end margin, doggies win was exciting but I personally felt a bit of luck was involved. At the risk of invoking rage I also thought last year was tainted a bit by luck being a factor.

The Hawks v Freo was ok, Sydney win against the Hawks was exciting. Game was still on the line until a few minutes to go.

The most boring for me of the last 20 years was Geelong pumping Port although I did want Geelong to win.

You are comparing two 90K full house PFs with two 60K PFs

An MCG full with feral Collingwood fans created a better atmosphere than a game between boring old Adelaide and Hawthorn...no sh1t!

Load of s**t, hope this is fake news.

******* drives me nuts that people are constantly trying to change the great game we've got.

I love the orange glow across the field as the sun is almost setting towards the end of the game. The long shadows that indicate the season is gone. It's a sight you don't see during the regular season. It's one of a kind on Grand Final day.
It's perfect for a mid morning Grand Final breakfast at home, have a few beers and get ready for the post lunch start. It's over before the sun goes down and it's time to think about heading out for a few beers to discuss the game with people you've never met before.

It doesn't need to change, and it won't gain anything by changing.
You’ve hit the nail on the head. The colours of a Day game are magnificent. The bright red ball on the bright green grass in perfect sunlight is beautiful. Then, as you say, the shadows indicate the season gone past.

If you need a few lights and some fireworks to enjoy the best football of the season and the emotion it invokes, you just don’t love the sport that much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back