*CONFIRMED* Grand Final 2018 @ 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

And I went to that prelim. It’s a bloody hard timeslots to get to. You can still only do things that take a short time in the morning, and I got home at 11. For a GF it would be 12. “Family friendly slot”.
The game was finished at 7:30.

Your location is KP so presume you are from Geelong, even giving you 30min of celebrating as it was the Tigers making a GF....3 hours to get back to Geelong seems a long time!

Funnily enough this was the biggest complaint when the FA Cup moved from the ‘traditional’ 3pm start to 5:15....and unlike AFL the majority of English games do still have 3:00pm kick offs.

Fans from non-London clubs would battle to make the last train back to Manchester or Wigan or Stoke etc...but FA Cup final changed time slot.

Majority of fans at an AFL GF would either be from Melbourne or interstate and staying in Melbourne anyway...but yes it would potentially cause grief for regional Victorian’s trying to travel home the night after a GF.

Cox Plate started at 5pm last year, once Moonne Valley is properly upgraded it will eventually shift to a full blown night race just like the Manikato.

Caulfield Cup started at 4:30 last year, getting progressively later, and the MRC actually introduced Wednesday night twilight racing at Caulfield this summer!!

Victoria Derby was 4pm, also getting shifted back later in the card.

The biggest stumbling block for Melbourne cup is that Flemington doesn’t have the lighting infrastructure for night racing.

When all the other finals are played at twilight or night, it makes no sense to play the GF at a different time slot.

They move the big races to later in the day so people bet on the earlier races.

Casual gamblers stop once the big race happens.

Would there really be more ratings for a twilight/night GF? Bars would probably be busier. It is not like it's a Sunday night like the NRL where you are more likely to be at home. Saturday night there are generally more entertainment options so there could potentially less of an interest in the Northern states.

Plus the footy is generally scrappier at night. If its a cool day, there will likely be a dew which makes it slippery. It probably won't be as good a showcase for the game than it should be

Your location is KP so presume you are from Geelong, even giving you 30min of celebrating as it was the Tigers making a GF....3 hours to get back to Geelong seems a long time!

Funnily enough this was the biggest complaint when the FA Cup moved from the ‘traditional’ 3pm start to 5:15....and unlike AFL the majority of English games do still have 3:00pm kick offs.

Fans from non-London clubs would battle to make the last train back to Manchester or Wigan or Stoke etc...but FA Cup final changed time slot.

Majority of fans at an AFL GF would either be from Melbourne or interstate and staying in Melbourne anyway...but yes it would potentially cause grief for regional Victorian’s trying to travel home the night after a GF.

The FA Cup was once the competition to get excited about. it’s now a mere shadow of what it once was

Will the AFLW final be at night?

You’d think if all these arguments for night time hold water, it wouldn’t even be a debate as there’s no ‘tradition’

Maybe a trade off for at least half the seats to be given to competing clubs

If you want a spectacle, girls and boys, then that is the reform which will deliver more than some over the hill act at half time

It isn't helped by the fact that most of the time the actual Grand Final is a pretty bad match for neutrals. I mean how many good Grand Final games have actually occurred in the last 20 years (from a neutral perspective). I think majority of them would be pretty poor games overall.

Neutrals should not count in a grand final. It’s insane how our grand final is attended. Everything else is fiddling at the edges

I’m not from Geelong but I’m from a similar distance so I’ll pay it. Ever tried to get out of the G with 95k others? Then get to Richmond station. Then wait for a train. Then get a train, then drive. It takes a bloody long time.

That’s a minor point though. About as minor as the extra audience you’ll get from moving the GF. We already get more viewers than the NRL, and they have a twilight GF with all the gimmicky s**t that will supposedly attract viewers.

I’m not from Geelong but I’m from a similar distance so I’ll pay it. Ever tried to get out of the G with 95k others? Then get to Richmond station. Then wait for a train. Then get a train, then drive. It takes a bloody long time.
Yeah I am a Collingwood supporter, getting home from a packed MCG ain’t foreign to me.

Give you 30min for celebration after the game.

You must live somewhere regional for it to take you 3 hours to get home after the game.

Hour train ride to Frankston and then drive 90min to Inverloch or Cowes and you are talking about a 3 hour trip.

For every regional Victorian fan that might be put out, will have multiple additional people tuning in on TV if at night in prime time.

Yeah I am a Collingwood supporter, getting home from a packed MCG ain’t foreign to me.

Give you 30min for celebration after the game.

You must live somewhere regional for it to take you 3 hours to get home after the game.

Hour train ride to Frankston and then drive 90min to Inverloch or Cowes and you are talking about a 3 hour trip.

For every regional Victorian fan that might be put out, will have multiple additional people tuning in on TV if at night in prime time.
Why not have a delayed encore broadcast? Like I said, the people that don’t plan their day around the grand final probably won’t care if it’s not live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me a twilight or night grand final are better options than a day grand final.Day grand finals look amateurish on TV.Those who complain about the time travelling from the game can be replaced by those living closer to the ground. These people will still watch it on TV anyway.From a ratings perspective the evidence is very clear

For me a twilight or night grand final are better options than a day grand final.Day grand finals look amateurish on TV.Those who complain about the time travelling from the game can be replaced by those living closer to the ground. These people will still watch it on TV anyway.From a ratings perspective the evidence is very clear
Why does footy look amateur under bright sunlight?

All pointers are for a better event in the evening.......but traditionalists want to use tradition, as some sort of argument for logic. It doesn't fit.

Wrong. Night GF is worse for the city, society and tax payers. Far better and safer for such a large mass of people to be cleared out during the day than all the various services have to deal with it all at night.

Wrong. Night GF is worse for the city, society and tax payers. Far better and safer for such a large mass of people to be cleared out during the day than all the various services have to deal with it all at night.
Its the AFL not the MFL.

Its better for fans around the country at evening/night.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Finally. "Tradition" has held back the AFL on far too many issues.
Yep. "It's tradition" is one of the dumbest reasons to do, or not do, just about anything.

It'll go night time eventually, and 2 years after that happens people will be saying "oh yeah, that's right, the grannie used to be during the daytime, didn't it."

It's like any of these type of progressions, people get all worked up, offended and red-faced when these things are suggested, and waste all manner of time and effort railing against it, only to then completely forget about it and move on within months of it happening.

Look at Marriage Equality. The naysayers worked themselves into a deeply triggered frenzy about it, and now, just a few months down the track, the vast majority of them are saying "err...marriage what?"

It's thoroughly hilarious watching that process unfold, time and time again....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back