10. Leon Cameron
11. John Longmire
12. Adam Simpson
13. Simon Goodwin
14. Chris Fagan
15. The Other Scott
16. Alan Richardson
17. Stuart Dew

So thats my list guys, tried to be as fair as possible. Dew obviously can't be rated compared to the others so while he may be where he is now, you'd expect him to rise in the next few years. Clarko has been the god of coaching for years now and even if the Hawks were to have another poor year, its unlikely he'd move from number 1. Worsfold has been a proven success as coach everywhere he has gone, Bolts has rebuilt the blues from nowhere to potentially finals, while the Hardwicks have helped make history at Tigerland.

18. Nathan Buckley

I thought with the season to begin I would rate the AFL coaches. My list would go as follows

1. Chris Scott
2. Clarko
3. Ross Lyon
4. Woosha
5. Longmire
6. Hinkley
7. Brad Scott
8. Dimma
9. Beveridge
10. Pyke
11. Cameron
12. The others
13. Nathan Buckley
This is an incredibly poor OP.

What reason are you giving?

I'll have a go...based on nothing really

Based on what they "might" do with their current lists this year :think:

Stuart Dew
John Longmire
John Worsfold
Simon Goodwin
Damian (and Mrs) Hardwick
Alastair Clarkson
Nathan Buckley
Alan Richardson
Luke Beveridge
Adam Simpson
Ross Lyon
Ken Hinkley
The Other Scott
Alan Richardson
Leon Cameron
Chris Scott
Chris Fagan
Don Pyke

Well that's just me of course. :oops:

Last edited:
What reason are you giving?

- Highest winning percentage in the comp by a fair margin
- Rated hardest coach to coach against by the AFL coaches
- Whopping 13-5 record against Clarko

Last edited:
Out of 10 - Clarkson 9, worsfold, dimma, bevo, Longmire, cheerleader Scott 7, Lyon & Simpson 5, Hinkley, Cameron & umpire lover Scott 4, rest 3 or yet to be have a realistic chance

Out of 10 - Clarkson 9, worsfold, dimma, bevo, Longmire, cheerleader Scott 7, Lyon & Simpson 5, Hinkley, Cameron & umpire lover Scott 4, rest 3 or yet to be have a realistic chance
Pyke actually would be 5, as has made a GF. Such an unassuming person as a player and coach.

Imo (in no particular order):

Above average tier:

Alastair Clarkson
John Longmire
Don Pyke

Average tier:
Damien Hardwick
Chris Scott
Brad Scott
Ross Lyon
Adam Simpson
John Worsfold
Ken Hinkley
Leon Cameron
Luke Beveridge

Below average:

Alan Richardson
Brendan Bolton
Nathan Buckley

To early to know tier:
Chris Fagan
Stuart Dew
Simon Goodwin

Imo (in particular order):

Tier 1:

Alastair Clarkson

Tier 2:
John Longmire
Damien Hardwick
Luke Beveridge

Tier 3:
Chris Scott
John Worsfold
Ross Lyon
Adam Simpson
Don Pyke
Ken Hinkley
Brad Scott
Leon Cameron

Tier 4:

Alan Richardson
Brendan Bolton
Nathan Buckley

Tier 5:
Chris Fagan
Stuart Dew
Simon Goodwin

Probably with bias but it has to be Clarkson and comfortable at this stage.
- 4 flags obviously
- built a list from a rabble to a flag within 4 seasons
-lost arguably the games best player ( Franklin ) yet still was able to take out the next two flags
I think he is the one guy who could coach any of the other clubs and make them a better side

The rest can all coach in some capacity but Clarkson ticks every box

Winning % can be completely misleading , a coach who takes over a cellar dweller for a rebuild is naturally going to take a pretty large hit in that department for a few seasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought with the season to begin I would rate the AFL coaches. My list would go as follows

1. Chris Scott
2. Clarko
3. Ross Lyon
4. Woosha
5. Longmire
6. Hinkley
7. Brad Scott
8. Dimma
9. Beveridge
10. Pyke
11. Cameron
12. The others
13. Nathan Buckley

Reining Premiership coach 8th and the North coach 1st?

Reining Premiership coach 8th and the North coach 1st?

I think both Scotts have Dimma covered. Both clubs have performed significantly better under those coaches than Richmond have under Dimma. Brad Scott is now in Dimma territory but I personally don't see it lasting 8 seasons.

I think both Scotts have Dimma covered. Both clubs have performed significantly better under those coaches than Richmond have under Dimma. Brad Scott is now in Dimma territory but I personally don't see it lasting 8 seasons.
Scott took over a top side and moved into a top club in Geelong. Dimma took over a bottom side and a poor club in Richmond. Scott won a Premiership in his first year and has keep Geelong thereabouts but with a poor return in finals. Dimma has taken a team up every year into 3 finals appearances for the first time in decades before his one step back 2 steps forward in 2016 to a Premiership 2017. The more remarkable achievement is Dimma's imo and that's not even mentioning the other Scott.

Scott took over a top side and moved into a top club in Geelong. Dimma took over a bottom side and a poor club in Richmond. Scott won a Premiership in his first year and has keep Geelong thereabouts but with a poor return in finals. Dimma has taken a team up every year into 3 finals appearances for the first time in decades before his one step back 2 steps forward in 2016 to a Premiership 2017. The more remarkable achievement is Dimma's imo and that's not even mentioning the other Scott.

Chris Scott has one triple premiership player left! Whatever he inherited was gone by 2013 he isn't finishing 14th and lower like Dimma and every other coach stocking up on top 2/3 picks. He has constantly changed his list whilst making it deep into finals. Dimma imo was before the flag a bottom 3 coach and I rate Brad Scott higher. The premiership literally had every Richmond fan deleting their past posts.

Last edited:
Hard to rank the coaches as they're not given the same list to work with and we have no idea about the help they're given. I think Clarkson has to be number one. He's arguably the best coach in Hawthorn's history, which is saying something, given the club has had a few great coaches. Coaches I don't rate much are:

Lyon - I know, I know, he's a tactical genius. His game style though doesn't work that well in finals and especially grand finals, and if his refusal to change isn't smart, it's just stubborn.

Brad Scott - I called him a monkey with a clipboard ages ago, and my feeling hasn't changed. Doesn't react quickly enough to opposition changes in tactics, poor track record developing players and has only really gone deep in finals with a cadre of mature B-graders.

Longmire - I feel like he should have won more than one flag with the list he has had and the time he's been given.

Buckley - Pretty much everything that needs to be said has.

Coaches I'm on the fence on:

Hinkley - So the team has talent gaps, but also some superstars. Port rarely cop a lot of injuries and he hasn't won or even made a final since 2014 where he beat a Fremantle on decline and a Richmond that barely scraped into the eight and kicked into the wind.

Richardson - Are his ideas mediocre, or is the team mediocre?

Cameron - Has to deal with a list which sheds players constantly and gets injured a lot, but he's got a lot of talent at his disposal and the team still hasn't figured out how to play at the MCG, where they're 1-11.

The rest are hard to rank but seem fine.

Chris Scott has one triple premiership player left! Whatever he inherited was gone by 2013 he isn't finishing 14th and lower like Dimma stocking up on top 2/3 picks. He has constantly changed his list whilst making it deep into finals. Dimma imo is a bottom 3 coach and I rate Brad Scott higher. The premiership literally had every Richmond fan deleting their past posts.
Most Richmond fans argued that Hardwick had to go as his ideas were outdated. Hardwick responded and changed his ideas. The fans were smart enough to demand change, and Hardwick was humble enough to respond. I think that's a sign of a good coach, not a bad one. At the least, it's a sign that coaches change and improve or stagnate.

Chris Scott has one triple premiership player left! Whatever he inherited was gone by 2013 he isn't finishing 14th and lower like Dimma stocking up on top 2/3 picks. He has constantly changed his list whilst making it deep into finals. I personally rate Brad Scott above Dimma
Maybe that will prove to be a mistake. Dimma did the authentic, start from scratch rebuild (he had no choice) and he got a Premiership after 8 years. Obviously, the Tigers finally got their recruiting in order. Scott won a Premiership in his first year and hasn't been able to emulate that again. Maybe the Cats would have been better off bottoming out to get some early picks rather than trying to stay in the hunt year after year because they are thereabouts as I said but clearly not there. Especially at the 'G in big finals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back