Rate the #1 picks

Remove this Banner Ad

I have arguments with other Richmond fans who do the 'Ha, ha, they could have got Cotchin instead of leaving him to us' - I just point out that Kreuzer was a gun when fit and had some amazing skills - midfieldsers are a dime a dozen, but a ruckman with Kreuzer's attributes are rare as hen's teeth. Just unlucky.
Then again are ruckman really worth a #1 pick?

We won 3 flags without a real top notch ruckman, whereas Cotchin Captained us to those 3 flags, both players were very good so no losers for either Carlton or Richmond in that draft, just the misfortune of injury stopped us seeing the best of Kreuzer on a consistent basis, he did still play 189 games which is nothing to sneeze at.

Rate in order these number 1 picks I’ll leave out a couple of certain top 2-3 rated ones, just want to get a gauge on thoughts of the others.

Deledio
Murphy
Kreuzer
Goddard
Cooney
Gibbs
Swallow
Whitfield
Weitering
My order (this is tough)

1- Deledio
2- Murphy
3- Goddard
4- Swallow
5- Cooney
6- Whitfield
7- Weitering
8- Kreuzer

Not done on achievements premierships etc just player, Deledio had special talents and was a game winner, murphy super consistent great career, Swallow heart and soul of a club, Cooney a Brownlow medalist but not enough put together his best was as good as any though.
None of these guys are absolute superstars or particularly memorable players. All of them are kind of A- types. All played lots of games, none will be given AFL legend status. Cooney won a Brownlow, but he's not a particularly memorable palyer.

Goddard and Deledio both 2 x AA
Murphy and Cooney both 1 x AA

You’d put Goddard at the top. I don’t think the gap between him and Lids was as big as people are making out, but Goddard’s finals record puts him clearly ahead.

I think team success probably has too much influence on how we rank players.

And I’m not just saying that to pump up a Richmond player in Lids. I think Toby Greene is probably a better and more valuable overall player than Dusty, but few would think that because of his lack of team success

Not sure who was the best of that group.
What it does show though, is that the prized No1 pick, isn't all its made to be.

Very few No 1 picks are the best of the draft.

Rate in order these number 1 picks I’ll leave out a couple of certain top 2-3 rated ones, just want to get a gauge on thoughts of the others.

Deledio
Murphy
Kreuzer
Goddard
Cooney
Gibbs
Swallow
Whitfield
Weitering
My order (this is tough)

1- Deledio
2- Murphy
3- Goddard
4- Swallow
5- Cooney
6- Whitfield
7- Weitering
8- Kreuzer

Not done on achievements premierships etc just player, Deledio had special talents and was a game winner, murphy super consistent great career, Swallow heart and soul of a club, Cooney a Brownlow medalist but not enough put together his best was as good as any though.
  1. Goddard
  2. Cooney
  3. Deledio
  4. Murphy
  5. Kreuzer
  6. Gibbs
Not fair to rate the others who are still playing AFL.

Key defenders don't usually go #1. Weitering has managed to avoid scrutiny like most pick 1's do. Does his role most weeks and is a good player.

Did Blues make the correct decision drafting him though?
looking at the 2015, really only clayton oliver is the only one i would take over him 50/50 choices as mids are easier to find

I've seen Deledio ranked at 5, many have him low and a bunch of posts all saying Goddard by the length of Flemington.

That tells me that Deledio is underrated (and perhaps Goddard is a little too highly rated as everyone remembers his game in 2010 Grand Final draw).

Deledio was a better player than people seem to recall (I suppose cos he had very little team success).

He was selected in the All Australian squad (as a midfielder where the competition is strongest) 5 times. He was selected in the final team twice (same as Goddard (who was a flanker) and more than everyone else).

He won multiple best and fairests (more than Goddard and everyone else).

He got more coaches votes and more Brownlow votes than Goddard too.

Still reckon it's fair to have Goddard at 1 but the idea that the was miles ahead I think is a fallacy, as is having Deledio right down the list below the likes of Kruezer, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Deledio ranked at 5, many have him low and a bunch of posts all saying Goddard by the length of Flemington.

That tells me that Deledio is underrated (and perhaps Goddard is a little too highly rated as everyone remembers his game in 2010 Grand Final draw).

Deledio was a better player than people seem to recall (I suppose cos he had very little team success).

He was selected in the All Australian squad (as a midfielder where the competition is strongest) 5 times. He was selected in the final team twice (same as Goddard (who was a flanker) and more than everyone else).

He won multiple best and fairests (more than Goddard and everyone else).

He got more coaches votes and more Brownlow votes than Goddard too.

Still reckon it's fair to have Goddard at 1 but the idea that the was miles ahead I think is a fallacy, as is having Deledio right down the list below the likes of Kruezer, etc.
Deledios best was insane he was a game winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back