Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Rate in order these number 1 picks I’ll leave out a couple of certain top 2-3 rated ones, just want to get a gauge on thoughts of the others.

Deledio
Murphy
Kreuzer
Goddard
Cooney
Gibbs
Swallow
Whitfield
Weitering
My order (this is tough)

1- Deledio
2- Murphy
3- Goddard
4- Swallow
5- Cooney
6- Whitfield
7- Weitering
8- Kreuzer

Not done on achievements premierships etc just player, Deledio had special talents and was a game winner, murphy super consistent great career, Swallow heart and soul of a club, Cooney a Brownlow medalist but not enough put together his best was as good as any though.

Rate in order these number 1 picks I’ll leave out a couple of certain top 2-3 rated ones, just want to get a gauge on thoughts of the others.

Deledio
Murphy
Kreuzer
Goddard
Cooney
Gibbs
Swallow
Whitfield
Weitering
My order (this is tough)

1- Deledio
2- Murphy
3- Goddard
4- Swallow
5- Cooney
6- Whitfield
7- Weitering
8- Kreuzer

Not done on achievements premierships etc just player, Deledio had special talents and was a game winner, murphy super consistent great career, Swallow heart and soul of a club, Cooney a Brownlow medalist but not enough put together his best was as good as any though.
Weitering has to be higher surely, although I guess he clearly will be by the end of his career.

Aside from Weitering Carlton really got a poor overall return from the other 3x number 1 picks there.

Weitering has to be higher surely, although I guess he clearly will be by the end of his career.

Aside from Weitering Carlton really got a poor overall return from the other 3x number 1 picks there.
I think by the end of the career I will be rating him top 5 and Walsh is a chance for number 1 in this group. Just to early so I decided to leave him and Horne Francis out.

irJHR1tC.jpg%20+%20

Am I right that not one of those #1 picks was able to lift their team to a flag?

Its great to have first pick but it often means you finished last, I'm not sure whether its better to trade for established players or take the risk on an unknown?

Am I right that not one of those #1 picks was able to lift their team to a flag?

Its great to have first pick but it often means you finished last, I'm not sure whether its better to trade for established players or take the risk on an unknown?
Yes this is true , Hodge sort of padded the stats for them though haha. Boyd got one as well.

Good order but not sure how you've got Swallow so high?

Good ordinary player at best. He's won one B&F (in a struggling Gold Coast after Ablett missed 7 weeks) and hardly been close to that form since. Never really threatened to get anywhere near an AA squad.

Yet you've got him ahead of a Brownlow medallist (Cooney) and an All Australian who won 2 B&F's in strong years (Whitfield). I'd expect Weitering to end up ahead too.

I'd have Swallow on par with someone like Gibbs (who didn't even make your list) as someone else with 200+ games and 1 B&F in a year his team was not the greatest. Incidentally, Gibbs won his B&F the same year as Swallow but Gibbs was selected for the AA squad of 40 (Swallow not really in consideration).

Well Goddard did everything he could to win a flag.

Good order but not sure how you've got Swallow so high?

Good ordinary player at best. He's won one B&F (in a struggling Gold Coast after Ablett missed 7 weeks) and hardly been close to that form since. Never really threatened to get anywhere near an AA squad.

Yet you've got him ahead of a Brownlow medallist (Cooney) and an All Australian who won 2 B&F's in strong years (Whitfield). I'd expect Weitering to end up ahead too.

I'd have Swallow on par with someone like Gibbs (who didn't even make your list) as someone else with 200+ games and 1 B&F in a year his team was not the greatest. Incidentally, Gibbs won his B&F the same year as Swallow but Gibbs was selected for the AA squad of 40 (Swallow not really in consideration).
Yeah fair point I just think he has been very valuable in terms of loyalty and leadership, probably just a personal favourite, your right hard to justify in terms of achievements just love the way he has gone about things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if I had to choose one player from that list it would be Goddard. Very talented player and I admired his mindset; hard-nosed, rarely took a backwards step and mixed with some white line fever.

As for the rest:
Deledio
Cooney
Murphy
Whitfield
Gibbs
Weitering
Swallow
Kreuzer

Key defenders don't usually go #1. Weitering has managed to avoid scrutiny like most pick 1's do. Does his role most weeks and is a good player.

Did Blues make the correct decision drafting him though?

Nah.

I don't hate him (too strong and harsh a word) just find him and his missus a bit too annoying at times.

Great player though no doubt
Sorry I forgot to check where this thread originated thought it was the Bay, Kreuzer's injuries were a disaster for the Blues he could have been a truly great player without all the injuries bit like Nic Nat in that regards.

Goddard.

There will be a lot of recency bias comparing the other guys to Weetbix. Weetbix was a safe first pick and is a good player but isn’t that dominant impact player who will win you games.

I’d probably have a few players from that list as equal second behind Goddard, including Weetbix.

Kreuzer would have been an absolute champion if he didn't suffer so damn and unlucky/cruel injuries

He really could have been anything :(
I have arguments with other Richmond fans who do the 'Ha, ha, they could have got Cotchin instead of leaving him to us' - I just point out that Kreuzer was a gun when fit and had some amazing skills - midfieldsers are a dime a dozen, but a ruckman with Kreuzer's attributes are rare as hen's teeth. Just unlucky.

Deledio
Murphy
Kreuzer
Goddard
Cooney
Gibbs
Swallow
Whitfield
Weitering
My order (this is tough)

1- Deledio
2- Murphy
3- Goddard
4- Swallow
5- Cooney
6- Whitfield
7- Weitering
8- Kreuzer

1. Goddard - talented player that was best on ground in a drawn grandfinal.
2. Murphy - 300 game career and a consumate professional
3. Cooney - based solely off the Brownlow season, didn't have the full career of the others but the Brownlow carries weight.
4. Weitering - only halfway through his career, will have many more All Australian's to come
5. Deledio - some of his comments out of that recent podcast are concerning, good career but seemingly very mentally weak and not a winner
6. Kreuzer - cruelled by injury but better than Whitfield and Swallow
7. Whitfield - still time to turn it around but not much to his career so far, best is very good but injured often
8. Swallow - the classic 'just a guy', never lived up to the height but to be fair shouldn't have been a No.1 pick as the priority draft boys got selected ahead of him anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back