Predicted number 1 pick reportedly tells West Coast he doesn't want to play for them

Should the #1 pick be required to move interstate if the bottom team isn't from his home state?

• Yes

Votes: 226 86.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 13.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you think it was a problem when Chad Wingard did the same thing?

Happens every year.

Actually would rather players be upfront

Wonder if the lure to return home will be strong as it was with Chris Judd who played only 130 games before requesting a trade.

You can imagine a bidding war will ensure.
Not that it makes much difference, he is a Geelong supporter after all.

Ah well! If he wants to be drafted then he goes to whoever picks him. That's how it works. Personally I think it's just McClure's verbal diarrhea spraying out again!

Suck it up princess people have been doing if for years

If not sit out a year and try again next year
Suck it up or sit out a year

versus

Sook it up and leave after a year. This option though, based on available evidence, comes with being booed at every away game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was him and I really didn't want to move, I'd just say I'm happy to go pick 1, do my time at a rich and resourceful club like West Coast for 2 years and then request a trade back to a bigger club in Victoria after the initial contract. Otherwise he's just setting himself up to get drafted by North, play in front of 20k most weeks for the rest of his career and I'd imagine it's a harder thing to do to ask for a trade to another club in the same state. 2 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things, it seems really hard to comprehend for these 18yo draftees who seem to think moving out of home for a couple years to earn good money in a social and supportive environment is the end of the world. If anything it probably enhances their development as a person and player by getting out of their comfort zone for a while. And yeah I realise the irony that I support Port with the JHF situation but he did at least stick it out one year and decided he was not going to get the best out of himself at North. Something Harley should maybe also take note of and consider if Arden St is really where he wants to be considering their recent history.

"Reportedly". Denied by the Eagles in the second line of the article. "Journalism".

Won't stop the usual suspects throwing a tanty though.

Anyway if he is the number 1 pick WC should draft him. They don't lose many and even if he wants to go back to Victoria they would have 10 clubs bidding against each other for the trade.

"Reportedly". Denied by the Eagles in the second line of the article. "Journalism".

Won't stop the usual suspects throwing a tanty though.

Anyway if he is the number 1 pick WC should draft him. They don't lose many and even if he wants to go back to Victoria they would have 10 clubs bidding against each other for the trade.
It’s getting pretty bad.
Apparently last year GWS considered Sheezel as flight risk as well hence their trade up.

Matt Johnson and JHF the year before.

Seems to be one or two every year now.

It’s getting pretty bad.
Apparently last year GWS considered Sheezel as flight risk as well hence their trade up.

Matt Johnson and JHF the year before.

Seems to be one or two every year now.

Yeah, perhaps they need to raise the draftee salaries for those drafted interstate (significantly).

Hard to tell whether there are more players now not willing to leave home or whether players are more inclined to be honest these days.

Maybe this is where on the night trades should come in.

Make the team that wants him cough up players or picks as a comibination. As its a valuable assett and the team with the number 1 pick should be able to utilise it

Blatant misinformation from McClure.

As Rod posted in the above clip, he made a massive backtrack and admitted he hadn't spoken to anyone in the Reid camp and that it was merely his own 'belief' that he'd prefer to stay in Vic.

McClure also went on to say that Reid would be open to a move and don't think it'd be an issue...

Did you think it was a problem when Chad Wingard did the same thing?
Yes. Moving interstate isn't some massive hardship.

There is way too much babying of players in our game. In other countries, players routinely move across the country or even to different countries with different languages.

Yes. Moving interstate isn't some massive hardship.

There is way too much babying of players in our game. In other countries, players routinely move across the country or even to different countries with different languages.

Honestly rather an NBA system then the clubs take back a bit of control. These players have way too much control

They entered the draft under the condition set out. Horne Francis has set a precedent, now it looks like a lot of these young blokes want to pick and choose. What's going on? It's been an even season except for two teams, i think Hawthorn has done better than i thought, but is still years away from making the 8 again. Reid will end up at North if he doesn't go to the Eagles, but the future of West Coast is assured, i wonder where North will be in 5 years' time? He needs to have a long hard look at this.

Back