Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit harsh aggro

a decent performance but it will only take a handful of injuries to have us in the bottom 4 you'd think.

would love to be wrong about that because I agree with much of your post

Don’t want any condescending, patronising “there’s a good boy” pats on the head and neither should our players - it should hurt and our players should take strength from that hurt.

Thought Richmond played Jones very well.

Let him make mistakes.

Would be interested to see if AFL looks at reverse tunnelling?
The tigers forwards propped and went under Jones when they knew he was coming...

I thought Jones was unlucky on both occasions when he had his legs taken from underneath him. Both times the Richmond players knew exactly what they were doing.

Mullett has some promise as a defensive wingman, but his positioning and concentration as a deeper defender isn't great at the moment.

Solves none of the issues and creates new ones.

Jacob and Jack fought out the game well IMO.
Just on Mullett, he was delisted by North because his defending one on one is atrocious, his contested stuff is average and his decision making under pressure is very average.

He is a natural winger and should be left there as he is a decent kick, has ok leg speed and can collect the footy at will quite often.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, the blue’s performance had a lot more positives than negatives.

Let's face reality weitering and silvagni won't make it. Yes they may have good games against average sides but are not the future against the best.
Casboult is the worst key forward to play more than 50 games at carlton. Play youth upforward, nothing to lose.
The 2015 draft year is not looking as good as it once did. Question marks over weitering, silvagni and Mckay cunningham are not being selected
I understand Weitering had a stinker but putting a line through a 20 year old key defender is ridiculous.

Matthew Wright-meat and potatoes, nothing flash but just delivers, football brain, use of the body, beautiful kick, really impressed me last night.
Nuh, Lamb is meat and potatoes, competitor not particularly good at anything.

Wright may not have the flair of a Betts, Jeffy or Rioli, but is as smart as they come and has excellent skills......soooo underrated. Too
many supporters are seduced by flair over substance. More love for Matty (and the Plow).

Too small a sample size re: Weitering. Had a shocking first half and then did reasonably well then second. I think he’s a bit of a confidence player and if something goes against him early in a game he tends to go into his shell. If he takes a few intercept marks early he generally goes onto have a good game.

He’ll be fine
It’s not so much the mistakes though, it’s the way he seems to go about it. Too casual for my liking. I’m sure he will respond next game though, I hope.

Weitering is a huge concern, not only is he slow but he is weak one on one, and seems to be gasping for air all the time. He is a shadow of the kid who had such a great first year. Marchbank has gone past him at a rate of knots. Marchbank can run and run, Weitering seems to labour to contests, just so slow. I am sure they knew that was his one real weakness when they drafted him but right now that weakness is standing out like dogs balls. Reiwoldt ran rings around him and Martin demolished him one on one. I know Martin is a dead set superstar and strong bodied but Weitering's effort one on one was pathetic and the commentators commented on it as well.

I said it last night and I'll say it again, the three worst players for us were all slow players (JW, JS, LC). That has to be a signpost of where the game is at now and exposes some serious question marks regarding certain personnel.

And while Byrne is quick by jingoes he seems to lack decision making ability with regard to when to stop running and handballing and when the trigger needs to be pulled on a kick. Bolton said post match we over handballed and that was the main issue in this game and I dare say Byrne was a major culprit. are we seeing a flaw due to not growing up with the game?

Other concern was the form of the captain. I thought he was very very good in the first half but he virtually disappeared in the second half when we needed our leaders to step up. he ended the game with 23 touches and about 68 points, not a good result in my view. Where is he at with his football? In the JLT I thought he lacked impact touches and that was on display again last night. Maybe he has been told to play a more inside game given the loss of Gibbs. I don't know. He just doesn't seem to have the gut run and hurt impact he once had. Thomas is the same, just seems to have very few impact touches these days.

I would be bringing the quicker paced Cuningham and Williamson in as soon as possible.

On the positive side it was great that two young mids SPS and fish got a fair bit of it and we know they are class. and Garlett also got a fair bit of it so these are great signs as we desperately need midfield depth. That was so evident when Kennedy went off. Midfield wise we just couldn't keep up with Richmond the longer the game went.

Thought Mullett was OK. Can't comment about his work ethic but I thought his ball use and hands and nous around contests was of a very high level so that is good. It has been so long since we have had lots of clean ball users so he is a welcome addition actually.

All in all the main out take for me was the emergence slowly of a skilled young midfield with the likes of SPS and Fisher and even Garlett really standing out, it's been a loooong time since we have had that sort of speed and skill in midfield, but I am afraid it's not enough. We need more such midfield talent. so we need to draft/trade/use FA more to bulk up that part of our list. If we can snare a star like a Shiel or a Kelly and add a star via the draft like a Rankine that would be massive for us.

And we need to find another quality tall forward. McKay is obviously an exciting prospect but he is still a long way off it. He looked lost in JLT. Has anyone seen a fair bit of Ben Silvagni and can they confirm my view based off limited exposure that Ben seems to be a fairly quick and agile tall forward, far more so than his brother Jack? It was would awesome if Ben had that athleticism. It is just so important these days, as modern football doesn't favour big forwards anymore, so they've got to be athletic to survive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed Curnow says hi, and Lang is coming, while Dow develops and SPS gets fitter. Not as bad as you might think.

Patrick Cripps is not saying hi - he can’t carry those light bodies forever. Kennedy is but one piece of the puzzle, we won’t see him for a few weeks we’ve got nothing else.

If Cripps has to play at the level he played last night for the rest of his career, we’ll be seeing his farewell season in 2020.

Last edited:
Concerns over weitering are valid. He seems to have lost speed and his intercept marking has been mia since his first season. Could he have op or something? Doesn't look with it currently.

It’s not so much the mistakes though, it’s the way he seems to go about it. Too casual for my liking. I’m sure he will respond next game though, I hope.

Think it’s all related. Was close to BOG in JLT2, and looks a million times better when playing with confidence. He certainly looks cumbersome and inept when he’s having a poor game.

Byrne is so far off ready for senior footy. Puts our players under too much pressure every time he gets the footy

Promising signs overall. The only players I'd say were sub 5/10 were Dow (18 y.o.), JW (20 y.o.), JSOS (20 y.o.), Kennedy (injured 21 y.o.), Byrne (24 y.o.) & Casboult (28 y.o.).

The worrying two are clearly the older guys in that group. Next one to worry about is JSOS. Just don't know what his role will ever be at 191cm, not overly quick or strong (yet) it's going to be tough for him. The 3rd tall forward role is looking like being the one that should disappear and be an extra mid. Don't think we can go in with 3 Casboult who is so hit and miss anyway, McKay, JSOS & Curnow

What did you make of Mullet’s game?

I thought Mullet was serviceable. And that's Aaron. He's solid. He was liked by North fans. We always believed he could be a gun (has a beautiful left foot kick) but he never progressed much beyond serviceable. I genuinely hope he goes to another level at Carlton and becomes the player we all hoped he would be.

By 3 players, do you mean Townsend, Butler and Caddy? Because they were pretty much the difference.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its interesting you mentioned J Caddy, I to thought he was the difference. He bobbed up in defence to take clutch marks in the 3rd and 4th then gut run to finish 3 goals in the same period. He was almost like their spare loose ground man. We he did get those possessions he was very damaging. Who was on him?

Other concern was the form of the captain. I thought he was very very good in the first half but he virtually disappeared in the second half when we needed our leaders to step up. he ended the game with 23 touches and about 68 points, not a good result in my view. Where is he at with his football? In the JLT I thought he lacked impact touches and that was on display again last night. Maybe he has been told to play a more inside game given the loss of Gibbs. I don't know. He just doesn't seem to have the gut run and hurt impact he once had. Thomas is the same, just seems to have very few impact touches these days.

So when Kennedy went down he slowed, I thought that was when their midfield really got going and we kept in the game by our counter attacks.

I thought Jones was unlucky on both occasions when he had his legs taken from underneath him. Both times the Richmond players knew exactly what they were doing.

And both times should have resulted in clear free kicks ... alas.

Also, on the same note, when will the AFL MRP look closely at Dusty's fend offs in so far as what constitutes high head contact???

And both times should have resulted in clear free kicks ... alas.

Also, on the same note, when will the AFL MRP look closely at Dusty's fend offs in so far as what constitutes high head contact???
Never. Just like Buddy's arc, they are both illegal but will never be umpired as such.

Byrne is so far off ready for senior footy. Puts our players under too much pressure every time he gets the footy

Have to treat Byrne like one of the kids. Less than 20 games, been injured (knee) which takes time plus no football background.

He is talented but very raw. Judge him after he can get a run of games under him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back