Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to make a call last week and decided to delete my post, but now I think it may sound a little less ridiculous..

I think Casboult should be our first ruck, McKay up forward and would prefer no Kruezer.

We look a more mobile, flexible team with Casboult rucking and no Kruezer on the field. What we lose in Kruezers link up play around the middle we gain in Casboult's contested marking around the ground. Aerially we don't lose much at all by not having Kruezer on the ground.

McKay is far more mobile on the deck than Kruezer also and should be capable as a second ruck

If we play multiple talls, I have no problem with this, but all talls must either be agile, flexible or a constant marking threat. Kruezer is none of these things.

Appreciate all opinions but are we speaking about the same Kruezer that should have been named AA and is pretty much an extra mid when the ball hit the ground, mids being something we need more of?

I can certainly see how you could look at it that way, bearing in mind that 10m protected zone appears to be the 'free kick of the week' this week.

I do have a question for you, though. Are you at all troubled by how easily your coaches allowed us to dictate terms? I mean, we're new at this offensive stuff, and we were always guaranteed to make mistakes that you can score from, but other teams - GWS, Essendon, Geelong, Adelaide - are not so new at it, and they do it much better than we can.

A few years ago - can't remember when it was, think around 2009ish - you mob took on Hawthorn, and Hardwick showed the first attempt at AFL level at tactically beating Hawthorn's team press, which was cultivated in 2008 due to their relatively weak backline. It had worked swimmingly in 2008, but Hardwick looked at it, and used the setup as a means for a young side to slingshot the ball over the top, and it was frankly remarkable how easy it was for you to dictate terms to a much superior Hawthorn side at the time. You lost the match, but it was due to freekickhawthorn and your then kids being the impetus behind the dominance running out of legs.

If we've provided the blueprint for how to negate your pressure, are you at all concerned by other, better teams exploiting the weakness we've shown?

Not really to be honest, it was first game of the year and we had 2 really poor games of JLT where we did not get out of first gear, we missed Houli, Prestia and Rioli who are really important to the team in the roles they play. As we saw last year its a very long season and to be honest for most of last year we were a decent side but it was not until St Kilda thumped us that we sprung to life and only lost 1 more game for the season and we scored more heavily and became a top 2-3 side of the comp.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season and if you play with that attacking style for the year you will push a lot of good teams!

There is no doubt he ran himself into trouble and had no options ahead. Tigers won last years GF off pressure so it is no surprise that running it out of defense is not easy. He just needs to find the right balance (and have more run from the rest of his teammates).

I would prefer to see the team take chances rather than just kicking it backwards in defence.
he ran in to danger even when the Tigers were not putting pressure on. Hopefully he learns from it and is better next week.

You guys looked good last night! Much improved!

I think the scoreboard flattered you guys in the end though. Bad kicking is bad football but 16.19? kick straight and its a comfortable win. You guys clearly outplayed us in the first but from then on I think we had control but didn't put it on the board.

Some very good signs from the Blues with Curnow and Cripps especially. Fisher and Simpson very good, Dale Thomas was pretty handy to.

Umpiring was poor all night, Vlastin and Thomas both called for throwing when clearly handballed, the 50m penalties were fair enough according to the rules but football is going to be very frustrating if they keep paying those. You can push a guy down after he has taken a mark but you can't run past completely running away from the player with the ball?? s**t rule!

Good luck for the rest of the season guys! I reckon you will give a lot of teams a good run this year! Who knows maybe a sneaky finals appearance?
People were making similar comments after our JLT games (Saints 9.13 and Hawks 13.19), but we won both of those and were doing quite well against you guys for more than 3/4 regardless. We forced you guys wide a lot in the first half especially and when you went in the corridor it was generally a bomb and hope type entry. Your ground level shots were then in congestion and under pressure. How many of those 19 behinds were rushed, or spoiled on the goal line? I'd put that down to our defensive pressure. If you're having easy set shots or clear shots on the run that are spraying wide, then sure, you aren't kicking straight.

Just on Weitering, just 2 weeks back against the Hawks (I know I know, JLT etc) he was superb, I back him to bounce back next week and have a great season. He was woeful last night but I wager he has a huge outing next weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Agreed, he also had similar form towards the end of last season as well. At the end of the day, he had a bad game, it happens and he won’t be the only one to go through that this year. Should Richmond have dropped Rance after he had a similar game in round 1 last year?

I am still of a the belief that Weiters plays to his strengths better when he’s at CHF

Particularly last night when we struggled to match their small forwards
Last night we really should've benched SOJ and put Weitering forward. Grimes would've had to play on one of Cas, Curnow or Weitering, regardless of who it was it would've gave us an advantage in the air.

Exciting times ahead Blues fans if this is the type of footy we dish up each week the opposition isn't going to get the luck of our injuries,free kicks that changed momentum every week and we will win a fair amount of games this year.
Cripps,Marchbank,Simpson,C.Curnow,Wright and Fisher hold your heads high. Weitering,Silvagni,Byrne were not at their best but will come with experience. GO BLUES!

Understatement of the year. They were shocking.

he ran in to danger even when the Tigers were not putting pressure on. Hopefully he learns from it and is better next week.
He bit off more than he could chew a few times and made some passes to players that were under pressure, but let's not forget that he's only played 16 games (very few of which have been consecutive) and was a late comer to the game. He needs a run of games to find his rhythm.

Appreciate all opinions but are we speaking about the same Kruezer that should have been named AA and is pretty much an extra mid when the ball hit the ground, mids being something we need more of?

Not knocking Kruezer as a player, just feel he is not the best fit for our team balance.

last JLT game we looked good with Cas in the ruck, last night we looked good with Cas in the ruck. Having a ruckman who can take contested grabs all over the ground and is good up forward in my opinion is more valuable than a ruckman who is good at linking up in midfield play but is not strong in the air and is almost a liability up forward with our current setup.

Last night we really should've benched SOJ and put Weitering forward. Grimes would've had to play on one of Cas, Curnow or Weitering, regardless of who it was it would've gave us an advantage in the air.
Should have just switched them. SOS has played a little bit of time down back last year and a few on here have mentioned that they see him as a defender down the track. Would have been worth a punt in the last quarter.

People were making similar comments after our JLT games (Saints 9.13 and Hawks 13.19), but we won both of those and were doing quite well against you guys for more than 3/4 regardless. We forced you guys wide a lot in the first half especially and when you went in the corridor it was generally a bomb and hope type entry. Your ground level shots were then in congestion and under pressure. How many of those 19 behinds were rushed, or spoiled on the goal line? I'd put that down to our defensive pressure. If you're having easy set shots or clear shots on the run that are spraying wide, then sure, you aren't kicking straight.

71 Inside 50's to 47 that is a huge differential which to me indicates that we had more control of the game in terms of entering the 50 and peppering the goals. You guys had more of the ball as do a lot of sides that play us, we don't generally win a disposal count. 20 scoring shots to 36.

71 Inside 50's to 47 that is a huge differential which to me indicates that we had more control of the game in terms of entering the 50 and peppering the goals. You guys had more of the ball as do a lot of sides that play us, we don't generally win a disposal count. 20 scoring shots to 36.

This is final year of being a work in progress if we finish between 12-8th I will be happy. It is what the club would be expecting. We have many young players that have a lot to learn and building up tanks.. SPS, Dow, Weitering, Fisher, Williamson, Byrne, Curnow, Marchbank, Kennedy, Jack, Cunningham, McKay, Pickett, Garlett are still very young players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean that in a way where I know you guys pushed us wide and pressured us but I feel the weight of numbers in terms of our entries and shots on goal was always going to break you at some stage. Look at all of our games at the back end of last year including the finals , its not until the second half that our game plan / style kicks in and we crack sides and ended up kicking away through sheer repeat entries of the forward 50.

I hope you guy's don't take that as me having a crack about your side, as I said I actually thought you guys played really well, just that eventually you were going to crack with the amount of inside 50's.

You guys have plenty to work with and have a few genuine superstars on your hands. Look at us as prime example it can turn around really quickly. They gel together play more games and you will be set!

71 inside 50's for 17 goals doesn't indicate control to me.

How many of the 36 were rushed?

Genuine question as I'd like to know

Darcy Lang would have helped big time against Richmond. He was the Cats best against the Tigers in the Finals, so he would have been use to the big crowd being there.

How is he tracking? Is he like weeks away from playing or more than that ?
Not heard much on him in pre-season reports of training or conditioning at all.

Bolts looked gutted that we'd lost that.

Press gave him endless opportunities to make excuses (injuries to Kennedy and Kreuzer, lack of rotations, young side) and he refused to bite.

Obviously we still have plenty of improvement but listening to Bolts, we are playing to WIN not just to be competitive.

Very level headed. Overall disappointed, able to see the positives but not shirking from the negatives.

One of these days we're going to win a match despite playing lazy football. And he's going to be livid, he won't care about the scoreboard. He's going to shape this team to be ruthless in pursuit of the best it can be.

I love it!

That is all!

DY5HWCaVAAATAnm.jpg

Great endeavour and I think we surprised a few. Gonna make it harder in coming weeks though as the opposition will have a better idea of what to expect.

Faded late, which we probably all expected with a young lineup, but it was exasperated by the loss of Kennedy early and Kreuzer for a fair chunk of the game.

A few performances stood out for me.

Cripps is a behemoth. Can't fault the bloke at all tonight.

Simmo is evergreen, crazy to see a skinny half back racking up 35 touches at his age.

Fisher has what it takes, need to keep getting the ball in his hands because he makes things happen.

Charlie announced himself to the competition. Now needs to push himself to back it up as often as possible.

Wright was dangerous and is in no danger of losing his spot any time soon.

Thomas showed why he gets picked. Found the ball, worked hard to make space and provide an option. Disposal looked a step up from previous years too.

The less positive...

Casboult didn't play like a bloke fighting for his spot. Drop him, send the message, see how he responds.

Weitering was a long way off it tonight. Looks uncertain of himself. If he doesn't lift the intensity next week, I think he'd be the first tall defender i'd have in my sights.

Early thoughts for next week:

Drop Levi.
Swing Weiters forward.
Lang in, pending fitness.
Consider Cunners in for SOS, to play at HF.

Byrne, Jones, Marchbank
Simmo, Plowman, Mullett
E. Curnow, Murphy, Thomas
Kreuzer/Lobbe, Cripps, SPS
Fisher, Curnow, Cuningham
Wright, Weitering, Garlett
I/C: Lamb, Dow, Lang, Kennedy/Kerridge

TBF, Levi isn't really playing for his spot in reality. Harry isn't doing enough to be selected ahead of him. Sure, he didn't clunk any marks last night, but as long as he racks up a goal or two every game and does a decent job as relief ruck for Kruezer, he will be in the 22 every week.

I can confirm that Richmond, did indeed, defeat Carlton and that you guys won the i50 count. Congratulations once more.

This is the Carlton forum, however, so don't be surprised to see Carlton supporters focussing on the things we did well. I know I watch the game with loads of bias toward Carlton, as do most members and supporters of other clubs. I felt we were in it for most of the game also, but I respect you feel differently. One thing I won't bother doing, ever, is going to the opposition board after a win, and argue about why we won. Poor form. No class.

I really appreciate, more than most, that Richmond came up with their own model for success and it worked. I also love that Dimmer was on his way out the door and still, defiantly told everyone he had a premiership list. Everyone laughed at him, me included. He was right. I love it. You got the flag. Who doesn't love rags to riches.

I love more, though, that most of the media tipped us to get the spoon in 2018, or in a best case, bottom 4. I watched my team play the premiers last night and I'm proud to say that I sincerely believe that we are better than bottom 4, and I really enjoyed our new brand of footy. I really see where we're going, for the first time in a while and I'm excited. I don't care why you think you won. I know why we lost.

Good luck for the rest of the season. We're coming for you soon.

GO BLUES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back