2nds Port Adelaide vs Crows - Round 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Fun day at Alberton. Hard to know exactly where we're at though. Crows are amateur league standard - and not convinced it's A1standard. Unless there's one or two seriously bad sanfl teams I can't see them winning a game.

Like everyone else I loved Hayes' game

I just got home from Alberton, and I agree the tingles magoos were absolutely dreadful and unless the chooks and westies are rubbish as well they could struggle to win a game.

Our blokes showed some very promising signs, particularly Hayes and Farrell, and if not for quite a few wasted opportunities should have won by well over 100 points, but as you say `it's hard to know exactly where we're at ' given today's opposition.

What about number 50 Jack Strange though, at a listed 170 cm and 65 kg he wouldn't look out of place wearing hoops at Morphettville. ;)

Me too. Just got home from the game and have no voice. The cheersquad was very upbeat today. Some new chants and
bless them they were happy to give the customers that were leaving early a good send off. In fairness there were quite a few there.
It was unnecessary gratuitous and very enjoyable. Of course I didn't chime in.
Haven't read anymore than a few posts and won't coz I wanna watch the replay. One observation which might not be right.
Has Scotty Thompson coming over given us intel on the crows clearance plays. We were better at it than I've seen for a long long time.
If so it'll stand us in good stead when we play the more organised teams including the neighbours.
This win meant a lot to the playing group. Very obvious down at the race when they walked off.
Our crowd pretty chuffed as well.

A great day at Alberton :D
There's a bit of Scotty Thompson in the way Atley played today.

....Has Scotty Thompson coming over given us intel on the crows clearance plays. We were better at it than I've seen for a long long time ...
It's a long bow to draw. But it's a common idea with footy fans, that a recent ex-player at your club has vital intelligence to pass on. Three things about that.
  • I think most recent ex-players and the teams they go to would recognise that's a dodgy line to cross. Maybe 2 or 3 years in but not straight away.
  • The Calves were crazy poor today to the extent it was hard to work out what was good, what was bad, what was luck. I can't see/feel any connection with their AFL team except Tyson Edwards' son playing.
  • There's no mystery with Crow's clearance plays such that we need corporate espionage. Very senior and experienced ex-players watch them live and on tape.

Fun day at Alberton. Hard to know exactly where we're at though. Crows are amateur league standard - and not convinced it's A1standard. Unless there's one or two seriously bad sanfl teams I can't see them winning a game.

Like everyone else I loved Hayes' game
No doubt they are s**t, but we can still take a bit out of the signs players showed and the 1:1 battle results. Ie. Hayes beat 2 experienced SANFL ruckmen in an outstanding 3rd term that was well beyond his years.

liked patmore & farrell, they will need time but you can see the potential
Garner was a little disappointing but the wall wasnt down back much
Frampton did what he had to do and could easily play AFL if needed
Atley is very good but most probably needs to work on his disposal a little bit, he's the type of midfielder we do need at AFL level, that small zippy in and under,
I liked Mckenzie, but i doubt he'll get a game till injuries to either Polec, Hartlett, DBJ or huston

liked patmore & farrell, they will need time but you can see the potential
Garner was a little disappointing but the wall wasnt down back much
Frampton did what he had to do and could easily play AFL if needed
Atley is very good but most probably needs to work on his disposal a little bit, he's the type of midfielder we do need at AFL level, that small zippy in and under,
I liked Mckenzie, but i doubt he'll get a game till injuries to either Polec, Hartlett, DBJ or huston
Yep, small. at 188cm and 88 kgs, 1 kg smaller than Ebert.

Where's the best place to get player stats? The snaffle site is a waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was impressed with Patmore. Looks like a runner with good ball skills.

Early days and the opposition was pretty weak but I think we will give it a shake again this year.

Great effort.
He’s got the ingredients to be a terrific player. Just needs to polish up his disposal but yeh very encouraging.

I just got home from Alberton, and I agree the tingles magoos were absolutely dreadful and unless the chooks and westies are rubbish as well they could struggle to win a game.

Our blokes showed some very promising signs, particularly Hayes and Farrell, and if not for quite a few wasted opportunities should have won by well over 100 points, but as you say `it's hard to know exactly where we're at ' given today's opposition.

What about number 50 Jack Strange though, at a listed 170 cm and 65 kg he wouldn't look out of place wearing hoops at Morphettville. ;)

He is basically me. Is he clumsy too?

Still got trengove jasper broadbent and the mystery ginger to come back in to strengthen this side..

Bloody hell we've got so much depth we actually have Joel Garner...
Was it RossFC or you who said a couple of weeks ago we will finish about 5th because we dont have much depth losing too many KPP's - Eddy, Austin, Jacko, Marshall up to the A grade etc and we are forced to play rucks as key forwards and too many Magpies if we have a few injuries?

Was it RossFC or you who said a couple of weeks ago we will finish about 5th because we dont have much depth losing too many KPP's - Eddy, Austin, Jacko, Marshall up to the A grade etc and we are forced to play rucks as key forwards and too many Magpies if we have a few injuries?

Yep was me, I’m not discrediting this performance though we were outstanding. Crows though are garbage. I reckon the Eagles will be the benchmark this year.

dont think it was me although i would have agreed with the tall forward point...

Commentator Tim Ginever was asked who he thought was ahead as our next AFL ruck (or something like that). If I recall correctly he said Frampton had the experience but he would also consider Hayes. He said nothing about Ladhams.

Ladhams is an exciting prospect but he is more long term. He needs time and the club knows it. They are being patient with him while he puts on weight and mostly seem to hide him in a pocket. He doesn’t ruck much at all. The exciting thing is what he does on the one or two occasions he gets near it. Regularly out manoeuvres guys half his size.

Hayes - tap ruckman
Frampton - marking and around the ground
Ladhams - agility and freakish 1 on 1 willpower for size.

Ladhams is the furthest away from afl, but he is a very exciting prospect.

We absolutely have the best and most exciting young developing ruck set that I know of.

We played a very enjoyable brand of football, lots of run, lots of handball and we really ran the Crows off their feet. Good depth across every line, maybe a bit short down back but overall a well rounded team.

Every player was impressive, I guess thats what happens when you win by 16 goals! Loved Atley, loved Garner, loved AJ, Mckenzie was smart, Snelling dominant, Thomas exciting and the SANFL lads all performed well.

New kids:
Hayes - Reminded me a lot of a young Russell Johnston in his movement. Loved his attack at the ball. Took some nice grabs, had some super clever ruck work in the 2nd half and a nice goal as well. He'll play AFL by the end of the year, even though his body may not be ready.

Patmore - Tried to do a bit too much with it on occasion but loved his footy nous, loved his athleticism and the way he cleverly worked out of trouble. Just needs to clean up his disposal a bit but outside of that a very good debut.

Farrell - In and out of the game but thought he had good impact when he was getting a bit of it. Just needs to work himself into the game more.

Garner - Loved his game. Loved it. Yes he only got 4 touches, but he was playing a defensive role. Not just a defensive role, but he was playing on Himmelberg who's a good talent, good athlete, who's 12cm taller than Joel. He kept him to just 2 marks and no scoring shots playing in the forward 50 all day. I really liked Joel last year for his attack from the defensive 50 but today showed that he can shut down a player as well. Great game.

Thomas - Not a kid but kicked 6, our fans would have loved it, Crows fans would have hated it. Was very good, though greedy at times.

Others:
Atley - Is just your stereotypical old school Port footballer. In and under, tough as nails, healthy dose of arrogance, clever. He was BOG for me. Our AFL midfield may be stacked, but we have to get him in the side. He's ready to go.

Johnson - That was the best game i've seen AJ play. Huge impact with the ball, kicked goals, dished them off, ran real hard. Can't wait to see him back in the AFL side soon enough.

Frampton - Thought he showed enough to suggest he should play AFL in the next few weeks. Some real strong grabs, some good ruckwork and 2 goals. Give him a shot.

McKenzie - Strong and reliable down back. He'll play AFL this year and hold his own when he gets his chance. He's good depth.

We played a very enjoyable brand of football, lots of run, lots of handball and we really ran the Crows off their feet. Good depth across every line, maybe a bit short down back but overall a well rounded team.

Every player was impressive, I guess thats what happens when you win by 16 goals! Loved Atley, loved Garner, loved AJ, Mckenzie was smart, Snelling dominant, Thomas exciting and the SANFL lads all performed well.

New kids:
Hayes - Reminded me a lot of a young Russell Johnston in his movement. Loved his attack at the ball. Took some nice grabs, had some super clever ruck work in the 2nd half and a nice goal as well. He'll play AFL by the end of the year, even though his body may not be ready.

Patmore - Tried to do a bit too much with it on occasion but loved his footy nous, loved his athleticism and the way he cleverly worked out of trouble. Just needs to clean up his disposal a bit but outside of that a very good debut.

Farrell - In and out of the game but thought he had good impact when he was getting a bit of it. Just needs to work himself into the game more.

Garner - Loved his game. Loved it. Yes he only got 4 touches, but he was playing a defensive role. Not just a defensive role, but he was playing on Himmelberg who's a good talent, good athlete, who's 12cm taller than Joel. He kept him to just 2 marks and no scoring shots playing in the forward 50 all day. I really liked Joel last year for his attack from the defensive 50 but today showed that he can shut down a player as well. Great game.

Thomas - Not a kid but kicked 6, our fans would have loved it, Crows fans would have hated it. Was very good, though greedy at times.

Others:
Atley - Is just your stereotypical old school Port footballer. In and under, tough as nails, healthy dose of arrogance, clever. He was BOG for me. Our AFL midfield may be stacked, but we have to get him in the side. He's ready to go.

Johnson - That was the best game i've seen AJ play. Huge impact with the ball, kicked goals, dished them off, ran real hard. Can't wait to see him back in the AFL side soon enough.

Frampton - Thought he showed enough to suggest he should play AFL in the next few weeks. Some real strong grabs, some good ruckwork and 2 goals. Give him a shot.

McKenzie - Strong and reliable down back. He'll play AFL this year and hold his own when he gets his chance. He's good depth.
"Atley - Is just your stereotypical old school Port footballer. In and under, tough as nails, healthy dose of arrogance, clever. He was BOG for me. Our AFL midfield may be stacked, but we have to get him in the side. He's ready to go."
Good to see my buddy ready for AFL :D

So much to be excited about

Hayes

15 touches 7 marks on debut and some very very good tap ruck work. Lade will love working with him.

Frampton

dangerous forward in the air. Crashed and brought ball or man to ground.

Farrell

I think we have a gem. Is supposed to be a project but his kicking is very good. Has length but most importantly has vision. Is fast too. Body looks solid and gaining size won’t be an issue. He could be playing games soon if there is a spot there I see him as possibly taking it. Might tire at some point in season though. Great pick up.

Atley

Amazing hands in close. Great in contests great in tackles. He would play 22 games this season at most other clubs. I don’t mind if he has to have an apprenticeship if he knows he will get his shot.

Neade

I’ve been critical of Neade in the past. Today was the sort of performance he needs to put in regularly. Was safe with ball in hand. Amazing how many of our players are looking safer with ball in hand right now.

Mckenzie

Jeez how did gc not have a 200 gamer for their club ? Looked very good today. Again so safe with ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back