Strategy North to contend by 2020 - Articles & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

(Actually Billings is just giving me the shits in supercoach atm. when he starts scoring well he’ll be a dynamic mid-forward they can build their attack around and one we should be targeting as the perfect Higgins replacement).

Billings is a tease of a player, both in fantasy and real life.

Is a pick 10 - 20, not top three.

If he does get up and going then we'd want to keep him!

Maybe. I'd be up for not though. Reality is that we need mids more than 2nd/3rd tall HFF's / wingers no matter how talented.

JZ should take his spot. If we got Mason playing really good football and some genuine mid talent was available I'd look at it.

We're only making finals in 2020 if we add some really great FAs which might be a hard sell if we're finishing low. Very unlikely in two years time we're getting the same output from our best performing players like Ziebell, Cunnington, Higgins, Thompson and Tarrant considering their age and the positions they play. We've don't have the number of players coming through that will be ready to replace them by that date.

I think you're overestimating the gap between the lower reaches of the top 8 and the bottom 4. It isn't that big. There are some bog ordinary sides that will play finals this year.

I think you're overestimating the gap between the lower reaches of the top 8 and the bottom 4. It isn't that big. There are some bog ordinary sides that will play finals this year.
That's a good point. The competition is very even at the moment. Hard to know how long it will stay that way because it seems to be close to having no historic precedent.
I'm happy with the direction the club is going overall though. I think we're improving our drafting and development and the VFL squad can only make things better. A lot rides on this coming draft. Could be the making of something very special.

I'd consider trading anyone from our list if the price is right.

Bar LDU and Simpkin.

And Brown... we'd need to finish last though.

2nd rounder + Tarrant to Collingwood for pick ~5 & 2019 1st rounder (we pay salary)
Goldstein & Hrovat to Geelong for pick ~13 & 31 (we pay Goldy's salary)
Turner to GWS (2019 2nd + 3rd rounder)
Cunnington to Essendon for pick 8 and 2019 1st Round
Atley free agency compo (pick 20)
3rd rounder + MacMillan to St.Kilda for pick 24
Mountford to West Coast for 2019 (2nd or 3rd Round)

Now that would be an aggressive reset.

2nd rounder + Tarrant to Collingwood for pick ~5 & 2019 1st rounder (we pay salary)

That would be 10 years in the wilderness with no guarantees of any return on investment.

Such willingness to trade out essential players like Tarrant baffles me. It's like strapping on a blindfold and hoping you walk through the door.

Such willingness to trade out essential players like Tarrant baffles me. It's like strapping on a blindfold and hoping you walk through the door.
Is it school holidays?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it school holidays?

Is it time to get on the forum and infuse smarminess to fulfill your lost sense of self-worth? It is 6:00, right on time after clocking off the soul crushing job filling just the right amount of resentment for the human populace.

Like I said, anyone bar LDU and Simpkin.

Is it time to get on the forum and infuse smarminess to fulfill your lost sense of self-worth? It is 6:00, right on time after clocking off the soul crushing job filling just the right amount of resentment for the human populace.
You seem tightly wound.

I suggest you have a crank.

Otherwise known as the St.Kilda method.

Any rebuild that resembles a Carlton or Melbourne one can GAGF. Those eyeing trades for Cunners, JZ and Taz really do not understand the dynamics of a footy club. If we pushed any of these boys to the trade table it would have a massive negative effect.

There is a fair amount of luck required through drafting, for every Trotter there is a BBB. We should and will continue to build a winning culture at the club, take the picks we a presented and hit the FA.

The difference between the best lists and the worst is not as great as many experts think and most clubs are only one or two very good players between winning and losing each week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don't think any club would give up those picks for the players mentioned.

Any rebuild that resembles a Carlton or Melbourne one can GAGF. Those eyeing trades for Cunners, JZ and Taz really do not understand the dynamics of a footy club. If we pushed any of these boys to the trade table it would have a massive negative effect.

There is a fair amount of luck required through drafting, for every Trotter there is a BBB. We should and will continue to build a winning culture at the club, take the picks we a presented and hit the FA.

The difference between the best lists and the worst is not as great as many experts think and most clubs are only one or two very good players between winning and losing each week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Spot on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back