Top Port players today:
19 J Trengove 17 16 33 8 5 1 0 0 2 2 1.0 134
11 T Rockliff 15 12 27 7 4 0 0 0 3 3 0.1 107
29 J Pittard 11 13 24 5 4 3 2 0 1 1 0.1 88
40 J Lienert 14 9 23 10 2 0 1 0 0 6 1.1 102
4 S Powell-Pepper 8 15 23 4 4 2 3 0 1 0 1.0 81
1 S Summerton 13 9 22 3 3 2 0 0 3 5 0.0 80
34 W Snelling 10 12 22 3 5 3 3 0 1 3 0.0 77
Trengove was terrific today. Smart footballer.

And have been for a couple of years, hence it's the coaching group and not just a singular coach.
Yeah it's hard to argue with. Our lauded "mens club" defence is really total team defence when our FF is on the half back line.
Our kick ins from opposition points are one dimensional and have been for ages. Our link up play is fragile and too often undone
by basic skill errors
dropped marks
h/balls to team mates feet
kicks and h/balls direct to the oppo
We have all seen this for too long and look at our scores for the last few weeks.
Our forward line still looks a frantic mess in AFL and SANFL.

It's starting to get serious. No-one wants to read a whinge and i'm happy to polish the turd but right now for all the lipstick
it's still a pig.

Yep in a heartbeat. Last night they looked a lot more organised than we do. To think back to the Elimination final of 2014 and
you'd have to say wtf is going on.
Precisely and I have posted as much re EF. We have fallen so far in comparison. Why do people always talk about Richmond defensively. Richmond have a wonderfully positive mindset. They attack everything and are a pleasure to watch.

Precisely and I have posted as much re EF. We have fallen so far in comparison. Why do people always talk about Richmond defensively. Richmond have a wonderfully positive mindset. They attack everything and are a pleasure to watch.
Interesting how a part of Richmond's turn around can be attributed to Hardwick's own mindset change pre 2017 they now look in sync not over-coached,hesitant & jaded.

Must admit I have probably been the worst offender today whereas history shows I am usually one of the most optimistic. How far have I fallen man :(
Right now your not alone. I'll keep on going to games for our Maggies and Port coz ultimately that's all I can do but Ken
and the coaches have got to give us some hope.
As for Posters being negative, is that what it is or is it being honest? Either way i've paid for the privilege to do so.

Interesting how a part of Richmond's turn around can be attributed to Hardwick's own mindset change pre 2017 they now look in sync not over-coached,hesitant & jaded.
RFC put some brains in his coaches box and Dimma had the brains to listen. I wonder if this approach would work for us and
would Ken listen?

Neale Balme taking over as head of their football department was instrumental in the turn around as a club.

He was there through Geelong’s golden age 2007-2011 and now at Richmond. I remember the media saying in finals last year, he never wants publicity etc but he is the driving force behind the whole football club from top to bottom wherever he has been.

Balmey is good at what he does but he's not god folks there's a number of reasons Richmond are where they are now & Hardwick's own self-reflection and attitude change is one of them.

Yeah it's hard to argue with. Our lauded "mens club" defence is really total team defence when our FF is on the half back line.
Our kick ins from opposition points are one dimensional and have been for ages. Our link up play is fragile and too often undone
by basic skill errors
dropped marks
h/balls to team mates feet
kicks and h/balls direct to the oppo
We have all seen this for too long and look at our scores for the last few weeks.
Our forward line still looks a frantic mess in AFL and SANFL.

It's starting to get serious. No-one wants to read a whinge and i'm happy to polish the turd but right now for all the lipstick
it's still a pig.
And way too often our players have to take set shots after sprinting for half of the field to get back up front.

Jasper is an AA defender. Irra, although I hope he succeeds, has never played at the top level. For your own sake, temper your emotions a tad
You are wrong. Irra should be very close to a game. Attacking quick defender we need. Pittard is close too... play them both...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. People rave about Richmond's manic defensive pressure, and they do play hard contested one on one footy, but they are so attacking when they gain possession - always trying to go down the guts QUICKLY, and nearly always having forward options. Completely opposite to how we play!

Me too, make no mistake this next 3 years will be very important not only for Hinkley (after his 3 year contract extension) but even more critical for Port Power given he brought in Rockliff (28), Motlop (27) and Watts (27) into his best 18.
Westhoff (31), Ryder (30), Gray (30), Boak (30), Ebert (28), Hartlett (28) and Dixion (28) will all be 30+ by then so your current list has nearly half the players in your best 18-20 being 30+ in the next 3 years and I can't see any other players stepping into their place who aren't already in the team. If this goes pear shape in the next 3 years, Hinkley will get the sack and the new senior coach will need to completely rebuild this list which usually takes 4 years.

Don't get to carried away, there plenty of Talent in the 25 and under braket. Polec (26 this year) Wines, Wingard, SPP, Howard, Hombsch, Clurey, Bonner, Byrne-Jones, Houston and Marshall. Pus Hayes who going into the draft was someone who is touted as becoming the best ruckman in the game considering how quick he got a two year extension, there could be merit to it. Atley has shown bits in the limited opportunities he has been given as has Aiden Johnson. Plus there is also Barry.

Add in guys like Garner (highly rated going into the draft, similar to Hayes) and Farrel (showing bits in the SANFL) there are plenty of young guys to be excited about. Plus there are more of the young guys i haven't spoken about. In no way is it as doom as you make it out to be.

Replacing Westhoff is the tricky one, Lienernt could the one one to do that, although not quite as tall 193 vs 199. Could be handy in the tall mid float back roll, we'll see if he gets a chance.

So the Magpies play three rucks, and the result is basically identical to the Power's. Would presumably allow the coaches to confirm their conclusion that the firsts don't need one.
We are not asking for 3.

It’s astounding how the vilification of SPP and Irra today goes unreported and notdealt with and no sanctions but when someone throws a banana at Betts it’s total hysteria for weeks throughout the media and oppo supporters. If they really cared about it or wanted to stamp it out they should deal with it at the SANFL level. But.., not a word.. so really AFL only care about the look and Crows supporters only care if it’s one of their players.so it’s not really about racism is it.. it’s about point scoring. I truly don’t get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back