2nds Sturt vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ Unley

Remove this Banner Ad

Where Pasini and Clurey parhetic cause the mids made it very hard for them or just not good?
Pasini not being able to hit a target 15m away, or Clurey giving away stupid free kicks, or not being able to kill a contest despite having a teammate with him has nothing to do with the midfield.

Went to Unley today.

We had 16 AFL listed players on the park.

We are s**t at this level. Completely s**t. There was not one single player out there that you thought "he's a standout" or "he's too good for this level". Not 1. Experienced or otherwise. No system, no skill, no heart.
This is an absolute indictment against koch and hernkley disgraceful pricks they are indeed.

How did Hayes, Visentini and Lycett go??

One of them has to play Friday night given no Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades.

Cant have Finlayson lead the ruck. Lycett doesnt deserve a shot, given his ordinary form against mobile ruckman like Marshall. Saints are only playing Marshall in ruck this year so we only need 1 ruck.

Cant have Finlayson lead the ruck. Lycett doesnt deserve a shot, given his ordinary form against mobile ruckman like Marshall. Saints are only playing Marshall in ruck this year so we only need 1 ruck.
On a beautiful day for football
Marks
Hayes 1
Lycett 0
Visentini 0

Disposals
Hayes 3
Lycett 5
Visentini 9

The standard of football by Port today was horrendous.

You can't depend on reading the individual stats of the reserve's players to determine their readiness. You have to watch them play. We have a knack of having players that rack up stats but make amateur mistakes and decisions at critical moments.

L Jones is playing the man instead of the ball a few too many times in situations where he could be first at the contest.

The reserves are fragile. It is so easy for them to drop their heap so quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see Ken not bringing Lycett back in, a week out like Jonas and straight back I’m sure.

One of them has to play Friday night .....
Could just go the "We're going to lose the ruck taps" route and invest the spare spot in another area. I remember when we faced Freo/Aaron Sandilands at AO years back and were light on for rucks (as if that mattered against him). Just sent in a series of sacrificial lambs for the taps and concentrated on the clearances.

Could just go the "We're going to lose the ruck taps" route and invest the spare spot in another area. I remember when we faced Freo/Aaron Sandilands at AO years back and were light on for rucks (as if that mattered against him). Just sent in a series of sacrificial lambs for the taps and concentrated on the clearances.
That is a dangerous tactic at stoppages inside defensive 50. A good smart tap ruckman would provide many scoring opportunities in this type of situation. Paddy Ryder has retired but he would spoon feed his Saints players maybe 20 opportunities in this situation.

Can’t see Ken not bringing Lycett back in, a week out like Jonas and straight back I’m sure.

Season 4 Nod GIF by The Office

Riley Bonner was on Marty Frederick on the wing and absolutely got torn a new one. Stats mean jack sh*t.

Marty Frederick who was delisted and is bigger, faster and better now?

Marty Frederick who was delisted and is bigger, faster and better now?
My Sturt supporting mate at the start of the game said "we got that Fredericks off of you guys" From a distance it just didn't look like him and it wasn't the blonde hair that threw me. He just looked a whole lot more solid. Now you could say being out of the AFL system he could easily put on the kegs, but when he got closer, he wasn't fat or anything, just more jacked.
He was the Best Player on the Ground. The guy we delisted.

My guess is that Lycett will ruck and Lord and Finlayson will play forward, surrounded by smalls.

I only watched the first half, but Hayes played forward, Visentini took over rucking from about the 12 minute mark of the first quarter but neither of them showed enough to argue for a change. I'm expecting an "old faithful" selection policy.

Last edited:
There is nothing selectable from this team for the AFL side. Not one player who you could say is standing out. Not Mead, not Jones, not Burgoyne, not Lycett, not Hayes, not Clurey, not Sinn, not Bonner. It's as though they don't want to be promoted to the next level. Bonner then lost a contest to an SANFL opponent far too easily and gave up on the chase. Jones was completely ineffective at closing space or putting on meaningful pressure.

Is this coaching, development, list management?
Coaching and culture, its blatant. If your work environment is sh*t then would you enjoy going to work?? I dont blame the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back