Preview Round 8 - Geelong v Collingwood, Sunday 3:20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty confirmed on 360 that Gazza will play.

The last time Gaz played against Collingwood in the Hoops was the last game of his 1st stint at the footy club 2010 prelim
And dominated didn't he?

And dominated didn't he?

Was the only player that night who could hold his head up - I remember staying until the very end (as hard as it was ) thinking that this would be the last time I ever saw a player named Gary Ablett play for Geelong (Have to say was a little emotional)

Glad that he will finish his career with us

We had a similar situation with Brent Prismall back in 08. Who do we think is the better player out of Prismall and GHS just out of curiosity?
I was about to say Prismall, but then again he played in an absolutely dominant side. He, Brent Moloney and Nathan Ablett were the three who kind of got away in that era.

Great test for the side, new players
... and Scott - by now he should know the talents and approach of the Magpies and how our previous game plans have failed miserably against them. Really needs to have some definitive game day approach in place to counter their style (rather then simply backing the same structures like in the past, and then implicitly blaming the players for not being switched on). We will see.

Assuming he plays, Stanley should have one key goal - to limit Grundy’s effectiveness. If he plays off Grundy we will be torched. Grundy’s ability to be another mid means that Stanley should be instructed to focus on tackling and ‘wearing’ him rather than any other linking or attacking role. I suspect Stanley doesn’t have the application to achieve this - again, we will see.

Pardon the intrusion but Stanley is an interesting case. Seems to have all the tools to be a successful mobile follower. But can't seem to influence games. Is it an attitude thing? Agreed he isn't a genuine ruck but surely he can play the extra mid role?

We had a similar situation with Brent Prismall back in 08. Who do we think is the better player out of Prismall and GHS just out of curiosity?
I'd say H-S put Prismall had the potential to be better had he not done his knee.

I said he struggled on the wing. Keep up mate.

Yes. Apparently struggled on a wing for a good chunk of last year. Yet he polled incredibly well in our B&F. How does that make any sense? Are you a better judge of performance than our coaches who know the role he was asked to play and look at numerous replays of the game?

Yes. Apparently struggled on a wing for a good chunk of last year. Yet he polled incredibly well in our B&F. How does that make any sense? Are you a better judge of performance than our coaches who know the role he was asked to play and look at numerous replays of the game?
*yawn*

I don’t see why they would bring ghs back in.

Because he played brilliantly in his most recent full game:
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/5/port-v-geel

I agree. Ablett is the mid coming in unless a training mishap *touch wood* and I think that is at the expense of Zuthrie (just don't think we need that many defenders). I wouldn't be dropping Cunico, Fog, Murdoch, Gregson for 2 Dads either. GHS comes in for a mid and who are you dropping?.

Cunico or Murdoch or Gregson.

Exactly. There is no mid to drop for ghs.

There is: Cunico. And even if there wasn't, there's no harm in dropping a different player instead, such as Murdoch or Gregson.

B: Henry Blicavs Stewart
HB: Bews Kolo Tuohy
C: Kelly JSelwood Duncan
HF: Menegola Ratugolea Crameri
F: Fogarty Hawkins Murdoch
R: Stanley Dangerfield Ablett
I: SSelwood Horlin-Smith Cunico Thurlow

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge game this weekend
We beat Pies and season could go anywhere from there
Three big games on the G coming up with Pies, Bombers and Tigers.
We will start getting used to playing there
Scooter needs to make Sidebottom redundant on the weekend.
His good ball use makes Collingwood a much more solid team
If Pendles doesn't play and Sidebottom is contained then it will be Danger, Selwood and Ablett pitted against Adams and Treloar
Kelly should take the points against Varcoe
If the mids do the job I'll back our defenders to kneecap Cox and Co.

Huge game this weekend
We beat Pies and season could go anywhere from there
Three big games on the G coming up with Pies, Bombers and Tigers.
We will start getting used to playing there
Scooter needs to make Sidebottom redundant on the weekend.
His good ball use makes Collingwood a much more solid team
If Pendles doesn't play and Sidebottom is contained then it will be Danger, Selwood and Ablett pitted against Adams and Treloar
Kelly should take the points against Varcoe
If the mids do the job I'll back our defenders to kneecap Cox and Co.

I think Sidebottom has won the Pies fitness trial (or run first two) for the past few years in a similar vein to Blicavs so aside from great ball use, he gets to plenty of contests. Very underrated in my view.

The way our midfield has played this season, we will be under the pump as their game-plan is to hit up players around 50-60m who then kick over our defence to goal. So our midfield has to defend. If you check the stats over the past few years, their midfield, or no-forward-line have kicked a few - apart from Fasolo who saves 2 of his 3-4 good games per season for us.

If Hawk misses ... does Taylor come back in and play forward?
If Menzel is fit then maybe he replaces Hawkins giving us a forward line consisting of Menzel, Crameri & Sav.

Otherwise maybe Smith comes in as #1 ruck with Stanley spending more time forward or maybe Buzza

I know Cox is the favorite, but I'm going with Mayne as a surprise for the Leigh Harding medal.

Stanley needs to play out of his skin to nullify Grundy.
Yep, I agree. Chris mayne has been innefective for a long time and if it wasn't for the money Collingwood spent on him, he wouldn't be playing afl anymore. As is this standard situation for the cats, the opposition spud will somehow have a 'career best' game against us. Please oh lord don't let this happen.

I'm not sure how you tip us by 30pts when speed, pressure and the crowd will all be in Collingwoods favour. I'm concerned that the game will be resemble the last qtr vs the swans and we all saw how that ended. It's good to be optimistic be the pies have our measure and I can't see anything with this team that suggest anything different will occur. A few of our blokes are a bit slow with the decision making and the umps will have another field day with htb against us if Collingwood play with their 2018 pressure. Who knows, maybe we pull out another 2017 semi final performance at the g and all the stars align once more. Here's hoping for a miracle.

This will be a very good test. Pies are in better form than many occasions when they've thumped us. Replicating KP form at the G will again be an issue. First half at the G against the Hawks wasn't good enough, last quarter against the Demons the same (injuries a factor there though), but the other 5 have been decent and something to build on. Yet another 50/50 game. I said that even against the depleted Giants, but I doubt this will be even close to as comfortable.

Because he played brilliantly in his most recent full game:
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/5/port-v-geel

Cunico or Murdoch or Gregson.

There is: Cunico. And even if there wasn't, there's no harm in dropping a different player instead, such as Murdoch or Gregson.

B: Henry Blicavs Stewart
HB: Bews Kolo Tuohy
C: Kelly JSelwood Duncan
HF: Menegola Ratugolea Crameri
F: Fogarty Hawkins Murdoch
R: Stanley Dangerfield Ablett
I: SSelwood Horlin-Smith Cunico Thurlow

Its role. You play Danger Ablett Selwood who are attack minded plus SSelwood (defensively brave as they come but slow) and GHS as your mids on a big ground and you will get torched on the spread. It only works if GHS plays forward which i doubt we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back