Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Buddha Hocking barely gets mentioned for a 4x All Australian, club record 4x BnF, consistent Brownlow placer, AFL HoF, Club Captain and Geelong Team of the Century.

Probably like most Cats of the 80s-90s; over shadowed by Ablett and a missing a flag to elivate them all that next step in the eyes of the general football fan.

Good call. Tough as they come but his skill level was also sublime on both sides of the body. I always used to enjoy watching him play.

7a4136899717ba422f729f0071726d84

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Van Der Haar

Saw him once on Marngrook last year. Very interesting interview and input. Seems the press ignores him as a great of the game and focuses on people with serious character flaws instead.
Used to see him most friday nights in a certain city establishment.

Always choofin on something.

Are we just talking just their names being mentioned? Jason Dunstall gets more than enough mention under those guidelines. As far as players mentioned for being former champions McLeod is mentioned all the time. Same as Jarman, Modra and Ruccuito.

I hardly ever hear Lingy mentioned when the media is discussing taggers or former champions and it's same with Johnson, Chapman and Joel Corey. It seems to be Corey Enright this and Matthew Scarlett that with the media, and the rest they don't recognize.

Lingy shut down a Brownlow medalist in a Grand Final and yet when it comes to taggers the first thing the media has put in everyones heads is that pincher Ryan Crowley. Not the great Cameron Ling.

Some times I hear Wayne Carey or "Darce" say "Hey Lingy" but that's about it.

Last edited:
Are we just talking just their names being mentioned? Jason Dunstall gets more than enough mention under those guidelines.

As far players mentioned for being former champions McLeod is mentioned all the time. Same as Jarman and Ruccuito.

I hardly ever hear Lingy mentioned when the media is discussing taggers or former players same with Johnson, Chapman and Joel Corey.
Some times I hear Wayne Carey or "Darce" say "Hey Lingy" but that's about it.

Because taggers can’t be champions and the OP question was about past champions

Because taggers can’t be champions and the OP question was about past champions

Then how come when someone mentions the word tagger that spud Ryan Crowley automatically pops into your head? It should be Lingy but the media clearly had a vendetta toward mentioning him enough.

Andy Mackay I always thought was an awesome player in what was an awesome Carlton side but gets glossed over in favour of sticks, Silvagni, Bradley, diesel etc

Probably didn’t have a long enough career for champion status but it often gets forgotten that arguably the best defender in one of the best defences of all time was Matthew Egan in 2007. He could have gone on to be anything.

Then how come when someone mentions the word tagger that spud Ryan Crowley automatically pops into your head? It should be Lingy but the media clearly had a vendetta toward mentioning him enough.

I actually think of Rupert Betheras when someone mentions tagger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back