Portfolio WAFL 2019 - Welcome to the West

Remove this Banner Ad

27682459677_ec08551dcc_o.png

SOUTH FREMANTLE BULLDOGS
The Bulldogs still play out of their home of Fremantle Oval, which has been developed over the last couple of years to make a better football stadium, as well as a community precinct due to it's location in the heart of the port city. The club has returned to red as a base colour on their home guernsey, whilst expanding the chevron motif from a standalone V, to become a cuff-to-cuff wide chevron - with an inverse clash that retains the club's traditional design. The Souths won their last premiership in 2015 - and today boast a list including ruckman Aaron Sandilands, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera and Brad Sheppard.​

41833672114_2e2a059e36_o.png

SOUTHWEST LIGHTNING

Following years of disappointment and bottom-of-the-table seasons, the Peel Thunder went through an overhaul in 2012. The City of Bunbury wanted their own WAFL team to represent the South West region of WA, however were denied. Instead, with investment from the region financially and with player development, Peel Thunder became the Southwest Lightning. Still based out of Rushton Park in Mandurah due to it's closer proximity to the metropolitan teams, the Lightning also play a select number of games in Bunbury at the newly built South West Sports Centre on the main oval with temporary stands set up to accomodate the crowds. During the move, the club also overhauled their guernseys, dropping navy in favour of black and using a brighter shade of teal on a new lightning bolt sash design. The move was a success, as in 2016, the Southwest Lightning won their first ever WAFL Premiership. The current team includes the likes of Lewis Jetta, Nathan Wilson, Harley Bennell and Hayden Ballantyne.

27682459677_ec08551dcc_o.png

SOUTH FREMANTLE BULLDOGS

The Bulldogs still play out of their home of Fremantle Oval, which has been developed over the last couple of years to make a better football stadium, as well as a community precinct due to it's location in the heart of the port city. The club has returned to red as a base colour on their home guernsey, whilst expanding the chevron motif from a standalone V, to become a cuff-to-cuff wide chevron - with an inverse clash that retains the club's traditional design. The Souths won their last premiership in 2015 - and today boast a list including ruckman Aaron Sandilands, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera and Brad Sheppard.
Are you claiming that logo as yours? Just interested.

Are you claiming that logo as yours? Just interested.

Not at all - see the disclaimer in the OP.

I don't have the time or inclination to actually go and make twelve professionally designed logos, for me this was more about the guernseys and overall rebranding of each club, so I'm taking logos from vector resource websites etc.

The City of Bunbury wanted their own WAFL team to represent the South West region of WA, however were denied.
the Lightning also play a select number of games in Bunbury
The current team includes the likes of Lewis Jetta
WCNJ8jm6NrKGSnZ9ET7pK6MAUl-BZExC3jkIAIzroZ9V8qhstMZvwAgCw0P1LXS8URJjpNHk2w=w500-h274-nc

Very nice designs. I'm glad you at least gave us a make-believe premiership.

41657539495_eb10d471d6_o.png

SUBIACO LIONS

The Lions have returned to Subiaco Oval in 2019 after having to play the last two seasons at the WA Athletics Stadium in nearby Floreat, due to the redevelopment of Subiaco Oval into a boutique football oval, now shared with apartment blocks and commercial development along the northern side of the ground. The playing list for Subiaco includes retiring legend Matt Priddis, Callum Sinclair, Daniel Rich and Liam Ryan. The club has changed their guernseys for the 2019 season to extend the front stripes to the top of the guernsey and have removed the monogram. For the clash, the club has gone "back-to-the-future" with a gold base and maroon yoke, based off of the yoke designs of the 1930's and 1960's.

Last edited:
41833677674_be2b648711_o.png

SUBIACO LIONS

The Lions have returned to Subiaco Oval in 2019 after having to play the last two seasons at the WA Athletics Stadium in nearby Floreat, due to the redevelopment of Subiaco Oval into a boutique football oval, now shared with apartment blocks and commercial development along the northern side of the ground. The playing list for Subiaco includes retiring legend Matt Priddis, Callum Sinclair, Daniel Rich and Liam Ryan. The club has changed their guernseys for the 2019 season to extend the front stripes to the top of the guernsey, as well as lessen the number of stripes and thicken them - placing the new club logo across the front.
Think I prefer the heritage guernsey to the one you’ve come up with

Think I prefer the heritage guernsey to the one you’ve come up with

I'm not really a fan of my Subiaco design, but there was a lack of clubs with vertical stripes so ended up going with this after originally have a yoke - then did the heritage design. In hindsight, perhaps the thinner stripes would have been the way to go on the home/clash as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SUBIACO LIONS

The Lions have returned to Subiaco Oval in 2019 after having to play the last two seasons at the WA Athletics Stadium in nearby Floreat, due to the redevelopment of Subiaco Oval into a boutique football oval, now shared with apartment blocks and commercial development along the northern side of the ground. The playing list for Subiaco includes retiring legend Matt Priddis, Callum Sinclair, Daniel Rich and Liam Ryan. The club has changed their guernseys for the 2019 season to extend the front stripes to the top of the guernsey, as well as lessen the number of stripes and thicken them - placing the new club logo across the front. The club's last premiership came in 2014.
These are just my 2c here. I love the designs but I feel there could've been some more work done with the clash. The Subiaco elements do make for interesting concepts.

Thinking I should probably go back to square one and re-do Subiaco - can't really say I've done them justice looking back.

Thanks Klim & 1990crow for the feedback.

SUBIACO LIONS

The Lions have returned to Subiaco Oval in 2019 after having to play the last two seasons at the WA Athletics Stadium in nearby Floreat, due to the redevelopment of Subiaco Oval into a boutique football oval, now shared with apartment blocks and commercial development along the northern side of the ground. The playing list for Subiaco includes retiring legend Matt Priddis, Callum Sinclair, Daniel Rich and Liam Ryan. The club has changed their guernseys for the 2019 season to extend the front stripes to the top of the guernsey, as well as lessen the number of stripes and thicken them - placing the new club logo across the front. The club's last premiership came in 2014.
Lion head doesn’t look like it really works on the jumper.

My boys though.

I'd try the Lion head in the stripe underneath the QBE logo, not unlike how Geelong have it placed.

41657539495_eb10d471d6_o.png

SUBIACO LIONS

The Lions have returned to Subiaco Oval in 2019 after having to play the last two seasons at the WA Athletics Stadium in nearby Floreat, due to the redevelopment of Subiaco Oval into a boutique football oval, now shared with apartment blocks and commercial development along the northern side of the ground. The playing list for Subiaco includes retiring legend Matt Priddis, Callum Sinclair, Daniel Rich and Liam Ryan. The club has changed their guernseys for the 2019 season to extend the front stripes to the top of the guernsey and have removed the monogram. For the clash, the club has gone "back-to-the-future" with a gold base and maroon yoke, based off of the yoke designs of the 1930's and 1960's.
MOAR NAVY

Much happier with these designs - went with a simple three stripe design for the home, and a vee-yoke for the clash.

Last edited:
41657851055_90f67827ce_o.png

SWAN DISTRICTS SWANS

Based out of Bassendean Oval, the Swans have been a constant presence in the top half of the league for the last decade, only missing out on finals once since 2009. Swan Districts, in honour of the vast catchment they cover, also play a select number of games at Midland Oval. In 2012, the club removed the stripes from their jumpers and replaced them with a black and white "wings" design, which was controversial to the Swans faithful at the time. Over the years however, during this period of success, the guernsey has become a representation of a positive period in the club's history - including a WAFL Premiership win in 2017. Today's lineup includes some star names including Nic Naitanui, Alex Rance, Stephen Conigilio and Rory Lobb.​

I'm not really a fan of my Subiaco design, but there was a lack of clubs with vertical stripes so ended up going with this after originally have a yoke - then did the heritage design. In hindsight, perhaps the thinner stripes would have been the way to go on the home/clash as well.
Some of the old ones on Mero's site had the old monogram guernseys, will be interesting to see what you come up with. I really like the idea behind the away and the heritage is classic, I can picture Karl Langdon in it.

Swans are a bit of a surprise, I wonder if the wings on the back could be feathered emulating the new Swans logo? Are the socks on the heritage hooped to match the standard ones, or did you consciously decide against them being full black? And a third point to further nitpick, the black swan has become a white swan on the away, is that intentional?

Looking forward to the last team, I wonder whom it could be? Yakamia? :p:p:p

Some of the old ones on Mero's site had the old monogram guernseys, will be interesting to see what you come up with. I really like the idea behind the away and the heritage is classic, I can picture Karl Langdon in it.

Swans are a bit of a surprise, I wonder if the wings on the back could be feathered emulating the new Swans logo? Are the socks on the heritage hooped to match the standard ones, or did you consciously decide against them being full black? And a third point to further nitpick, the black swan has become a white swan on the away, is that intentional?

Looking forward to the last team, I wonder whom it could be? Yakamia? :p:p:p

I did try feathering the wings however it didn’t really work as well as I’d have liked. The socks weren’t much of a big decision on the heritage - I honestly thought they wore striped socks back in the day. Also the swan becoming a white swan was necessary for the design to work , the outline looked weak keeping the swan black.

Last edited:
This is such a good portfolio, you guys in WA must be absolutely loving it.
I wish i lived in the alternate universe where this is the reality and Freight Train is making an ‘AFL 2019’ portfolio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back