World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Love 2026 and 2030. Will be going to both if I'm still around.

Is it even the World Cup without every game being on SBS and Craig Foster delivering his wisdom on us? This seriously ticks me off. **** you Optus.
"If we had their players (the Dutch), we would've won".

Most world cups will be hosted between two or three countries now with this 48 team bullshit.
Every decision Fifa and UEFA make I seem to disagree with. They really are destroying what makes football so special and I fear my love for the game is going to be majorly tested in the next decade.

Every decision Fifa and UEFA make I seem to disagree with. They really are destroying what makes football so special and I fear my love for the game is going to be majorly tested in the next decade.
unfortunately i think over the next decade we'll be saying that about most sporting competitions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2026 would be great to attend.

2030 Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay is the romantic one for mine though, easily overshadows 2026.

Shame that the 32 team World Cups are nigh extinct. Won't be quite the same, particularly in Qualifiers.

In the shower this morning had a brief fantasy of an Australia/Indonesia World Cup.
Final MCG.
3rd playoff - Jakarta (Gelora Bung Karno)
SFs Sydney and Adelaide.
2 QFs in Bandung (Gelora Bandung Lautan Api) and Surabaya (Gelora Bung Tomo) (same SF)
another 2 in Perth and Brisbane (same SF)

Realistically though, too much long travel, climate variation, and most importantly, country relations could go pearshaped between winning bid and holding tournament (not as diplomatically stable as some other co-partners)

In the shower this morning had a brief fantasy of an Australia/Indonesia World Cup.
Final MCG.
3rd playoff - Jakarta (Gelora Bung Karno)
SFs Sydney and Adelaide.
2 QFs in Bandung (Gelora Bandung Lautan Api) and Surabaya (Gelora Bung Tomo) (same SF)
another 2 in Perth and Brisbane (same SF)

Realistically though, too much long travel, climate variation, and most importantly, country relations could go pearshaped between winning bid and holding tournament.
you need better fantasies in shower!

but holding it across countries pretty much rules out Australia ever having it..
we have enough stadiums with us only, or with joint bid with NZ certainly, but it wont happen...

48 teams is a joke. If going off the top 48 countries in the world, you'd have teams like Bosnia, Morocco, Montenegro, Scotland plus New Zealand. There's going to thrashings. No more of this uniqueness and history that making the World Cup has. It's an honour for a country to make it with 32 teams. Now.. its just business for Fifa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back