Autopsy Sydney vs Richmond Rd 15 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are the benchmark... had another gear when needed. They were down 1 rotation...we were down 3....so we battled well enough..just panicked.

Hanners and Jack are done. At the game and we cringed every time either got near the ball.

Heeney is way below imo...I think he needs a look at his game and get back to basics.

What tonight showed was we are in this up to our eyeballs.
Heeney got a head knock and was unavailable for the second half

Inevitably we aren’t as good as everyone thinks when we beat west coast or Geelong in Geelong

And we aren’t as bad as some suddenly think when we lose to Richmond

We are a damn great club and a good team with a shot at a flag, we won’t go undefeated all year but 10-4 is fine with me

We didn’t lose on structure or setup. We didn’t lose in the coaches box. We lost on composure under pressure. There were no moves that would have solved that - if anything, shaking things up too much would have exacerbated it.

We need to focus on responding to intense pressure in kind, and not losing our mind when we’re rushed. Strike that balance between taking the first option and taking the right option. Hewett was mostly great but too often held on too long, waiting for either high contact or the perfect option and ending up caught. Hanners did the opposite, rushing every kick. Buddy did a bit the same, as did plenty others.

Basically, fix our composure under pressure and we’re probably the best team in the competition. But unfortunately that’s a really tough thing to do.
This is exactly right imo...

We have a lot of youngsters who will have learnt a hell of a lot tonight. I feel very sorry for Rose, but immensely proud of McCartin who handled the pressure just fine, thank you very much. He will be a star of our future. Florent also played pretty well and will have learnt a lot. Hayward took some critical marks and iirc, was pretty efficient with his disposals.

Can anyone tell me if Aliir is quick? Because it looked to me like he never got out of second gear. Did take a couple of good intercepts though.

Parker and Kennedy immense, Franklin clearly not fit but still kicked 4, and Smith, Rampe and Reg were outstanding.

All in all, we did okay in a game where we were out-pressured and out-played. On to next week...

Always seemed like the game was on their terms. We fought hard which is something to be proud of, but we are our own worst enemy sometimes.

Watching them live was infuriating-so many almost chances and could have beens.

Saw Hanners live a few weeks ago against Saints-felt so sorry for him and really hoped he could get it together, tonight, not the same. Have to admit he and KJ must go. Rose the same obvs but everyone knows that. Weird selection.

Pretty good effort. Didn’t get flogged and fought hard. I’m confident we’re still in it.

Richmond are the benchmark... had another gear when needed. They were down 1 rotation...we were down 3....so we battled well enough..just panicked.

Hanners and Jack are done. At the game and we cringed every time either got near the ball.

Heeney is way below imo...I think he needs a look at his game and get back to basics.

What tonight showed was despite some poor performers we are in this up to our eyeballs.

Ronke...Kennedy. . Grundy...Parker were great...We have Reid to come in and realky need him at his best.

Also....Rance is a disgrace.
Wasn't Heeney concussed and benched? That's why he didn't do much. We seriously missed his impact.

Watched it in a pub with sound down. Briefly turned it on full coverage on my phone but turned off after 5 minutes of the usual inane babble.
Anyway, just to say I tuned in briefly to the half-time recap where Carey was making the point about our terrible forward entries. Great vision of Jack receiving and then kicking straight to Vlaustin(?) 25m in front of him. We just didn't have anyone taking marks up forward and we were reckless in our entries. Otherwose mids were slightly on top, our defenders OK considering the weight of ball.

Hannebery did take a great mark in defence but his output is down and I wonder about his decision-making - it was his dinky kick that made Franklin
stepladder.
JPK was awesome, Marvel could make a Mr Indestructible out of Parker and Florent is really becoming something,

1-1 against the two top teams is not bad, but not an easy run home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inevitably we aren’t as good as everyone thinks when we beat west coast or Geelong in Geelong

And we aren’t as bad as some suddenly think when youwe lose to Richmond

We are a damn great club and a good team with a shot at a flag, we won’t go undefeated all year but 10-4 is fine with me
We will always fall short mate mark my words

We have issues that clearly haven’t been rectified in years that doesn’t allow us to take the next step

We seem to love handballing in our defense and running it out. Not sure how much success this plan of attack would yield us in future as Richmond's forwards have a lot more leg speed than our backs.

But where does the improvement come from? People think Kizza and Hanners will suddenly find peak form when they both look like they're near retirement.

Papley Mellican Reid

Nah forgot jack and Hanners

I would expect at least the following to be better if the game was played again

Franklin
Heeney
Lloyd
Rampe
Grundy
Allir
Jones
Smith
Hayward
Florent

Plus as I said add the guys in

I don’t expect much more from Hanners sadly, jack at all or Rohan

Parker and kennedy both played well imo

Ronkes a kid and did ok so did mccartin wouldn’t expect much more from them
Sinclair did his job so improvement no

We will always fall short mate mark my words

We have issues that clearly haven’t been rectified in years that doesn’t allow us to take the next step

We will see, I think we have a shot, maybe it’s small and I think we are putting nice long term pieces in place, I am comfortable with that for now

Papley Mellican Reid

Nah forgot jack and Hanners

I would expect at least the following to be better if the game was played again

Franklin
Heeney
Lloyd
Rampe
Grundy
Allir
Jones
Smith
Hayward
Florent

Plus as I said add the guys in

I don’t expect much more from Hanners sadly, jack at all or Rohan

Parker and kennedy both played well imo

Ronkes a kid and did ok so did mccartin wouldn’t expect much more from them
Sinclair did his job so improvement no
Maybe we'll see. After all it just one game and our first away loss in the season to the #1 side in the comp. (in Melbourne at least). But it is a similar pattern to previous years where we just don't have that final touch to drag us to the ultimate prize and it is talent, not coaching.

And Rohan....lost my patience with him. Time for him to move on to another club. John seriously cannot justify his inclusion in the 22 each week anymore. “He’s fast” won’t cut it I don’t think.

Seeing Richmond, their players are all in and so damaging, each and every one. Our bottom 5 just not quite the same tonight. They don’t seem to carry anyone. Earn your spot or go. We don’t seem to have the same standards.

The nature of the beast is that high level sports performance is variable. We lost tonight but doesn't mean we aren't good enough another time in different circumstances. To deny any chance of premiership this year as though we are off the pace is wrong. There is improvement weekly in all the young ones. Disappointed but not disheartened
Good post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back