Autopsy Sydney vs Richmond Rd 15 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance is too talented to resort to cheating

apparently not.

Looking at the team stats, we laid more tackles, won more clearances, more contested possessions but were 5% less efficient and had 50 less uncontested possesions and 40 less uncontested marks. What does that tell you? We won the ball in close, turned it over too much and they out-worked us once they got hold of it. But I could of told you that without looking at the stats.

Midfield frequency stats for the match. For the unitiated this is a running tally of who was lining up as one of your starting 5 mids at each centre bounce.

There were 28 bounces

Florent 26 wing
Parker 21
Kennedy 19
Hannebery 18 (10w, 8i)
Hewett 18
Cunningham 11 (10w, 1i)
Jack 9 (8i, 1w)
Heeney (inj) 8
McVeigh 8 wing
Hayward 1 wing
Ronke 1 wing

Ruck
Sinclair 27
Rohan 1

Notes:
- Second least appearances for Cunningham in an analysed game this season after Rd 5 (9 games analysed). He started on the bench and didn't have his first wing start until the 2nd term; he disappeared from the wing again in the last.
- 2nd time Florent has topped your list from the 9 games. This is the most midfield time he's had in any analysed game (he had highs in both overall total and percentage of bounces attended).
- Most appearances for McVeigh in an analysed match this season.
- Most appearances by Parker in an analysed match this season (he also hit highs in percentage of bounces attended).

For all the years of ridicule that Hardwick got even from his own supporters credit to him for actually sticking to his plans and with some good recruiting they are red hot to go b2b and become of the great sides of the modern era.

They bypassed the era of Hawthorn and Geelong and timed their assault perfectly.

apparently not.

Looking at the team stats, we laid more tackles, won more clearances, more contested possessions but were 5% less efficient and had 50 less uncontested possesions and 40 less uncontested marks. What does that tell you? We won the ball in close, turned it over too much and they out-worked us once they got hold of it. But I could of told you that without looking at the stats.

That sounds like a summary of a Hawthorn loss.

The media want to rub Bud out for that!!

what a joke

Rance is too talented to resort to cheating

I can't believe all the hoo-ha about it. I don't even think he got his throat? And as someone else said Rance had his arm on Buddy's throat. I hate watching Rance play due to his theatrics. He is a cheat and he gets away with it.

For all the years of ridicule that Hardwick got even from his own supporters credit to him for actually sticking to his plans and with some good recruiting they are red hot to go b2b and become of the great sides of the modern era.

They bypassed the era of Hawthorn and Geelong and timed their assault perfectly.

Ahhhh nope. They would get trounced by the Hawthorn team, and don’t even get me started on the Geelong team of 07-11...

Richmond are playing on belief. Some of their players are performing out of their skin because they feel they have a brand of footy that can win them games and a flag. But it only takes one team to match them with their belief, say a Bulldogs in 2016 finals, or us during our comeback from 0-6 last year, and it then becomes about pure ability. Richmond have that, but so do a lot of other teams. I don’t feel like I’m watching a great side when I look at Richmond. Just a very good team who are in the form of their lives.

No i mean they timed their assault for flags when Hawthorn and Geelong have declined.

You could say the same about Hawthorn. They couldn’t beat Geelong to save their lives then suddenly Geelong drop off, and Hawks win three in a row. That’s just the way it goes, and why you have to take your opportunities when they’re in front of you, which we failed to do twice. Richmond did so kudos to them

I thought last night was another impressive showing from the kids. Let’s not forget Richmond’s kids hardly set the world on fire either. It was really a game for the big boys. But...

McCartin - great hands and love how he stays in the contest, always follows up. Looking more and more confident each week.

Hayward - second week in a row he’s had a pretty quiet first half, but had the fortitude to just get himself into the games. His marking late in the game was super impressive, and he delivered with yet another clutch goal. Could be anything.

Ronke - McAvaney said it best.. he’s just all these random parts that will be awesome when they come together. So quick and smart and able to make something happen out of nothing. Could be anything.

Florent - Wow this kid. Was never going to get 25 touches every week, but he just works so hard for a kid who, in theory, is just a skinny wingman. Had 3 massive moments.. that running goal, that tackle on Rance, and going back with the flight of the ball and getting crunched (yet still winning possession!) Could be anything.

Its interesting that the media seems to be quite positive about our performance last night.

I thought it was our worst game in quite a long time.

We were completely outplayed by Richmond and there were multiple glaring weaknesses exposed. We were only saved by straight kicking and a couple of very soft Franklin frees from being beaten by 8 goals plus.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically inaccurate kicking around the ground cost us.

Although that implies that we were aiming for the kicks to go elsewhere ..... there was a lot of no look bombing last night and that was primarily because of Richmond's pressure which only Kennedy and Parker and a couple of others seemed capable of handling.

Hayward covered 14.6km last night, most for Swans and second most for the game.

McCartin covered 14.1km which was 4th for the Swans and 5th overall.

Impressive kids.

Awesome work rate by them, but probably indicative of Horses comments that young forwards pushed too far up the ground. Saying that difficult to criticise them for that when we kept turning the ball over across the middle of the ground.

Looking forward to Reid coming back in that regard. Really miss his contested marking.

Ave speed in attack was nearly all kids too Hayward, McCartin, Ronke and Florent (only split by Jack in the middle) top 5 on the ground.

Maybe we have to be slightly more ruthless in horses for courses

Tonight imo was probably actually a better match up for Marsh to play over Allir or for both to play together for example

Some weeks a cunningham could go out for a tall, that sort of thing.

Jack will be more useful at the scg possibly than bigger grounds that sort of thing
I just read a great article on the match. It points out Rohan had 6 disposals, shanked one OOF, kicked one into Rance, had no tackles and got caught HTB twice. Reserves for Gaz.

Jack was woeful. Cunningham was far better and was not caught HTB three times and lucky not to go twice more.

Hannas was terrible, 25% efficiency. Total crap. All of these guys need to play reserves next week. We cannot afford to play blokes on reputation alone. We are and it hurt us big time last night

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just read a great article on the match. It points out Rohan had 6 disposals, shanked one OOF, kicked one into Rance, had no tackles and got caught HTB twice. Reserves for Gaz.

Jack was woeful. Cunningham was far better and was not caught HTB three times and lucky not to go twice more.

Hannas was terrible, 25% efficiency. Total crap. All of these guys need to play reserves next week. We cannot afford to play blokes on reputation alone. We are and it hurt us big time last night

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can see where you are coming from

So you drop all 3, who comes in? remembering heeney and papley must both have doubt around them

Richmond played good footy last night but it was no dominance - we had plenty of the play - our turnovers/ball use made them look better (yes, they applied pressure but nothing we haven't seen before) - honestly think dogs looked more dangerous than them earlier but just couldnt finish. On last night's performance, tiges were far from unbeatable.

Reckon we can still go another cog with youngsters better for the experinece and several seniors still to find their form/fitness.

Perhaps 3-4 players short at this stage on form.

We're still a great side and though we may fall 1-2 rung short of the teams with absolute elite ball users, we make this up through sheer heart and dogged determination (has always been our styale) and if we can get those 3-4 players playing better to get a more even 22, we're right up to our necks in this yr's race. With our finals/GF experience and exposure, we're as good an interstate team as any to challenge any vic team should we get to another GF.

At the end of the day we all knew on here that we weren’t playing our best footy. We weren’t at our best against West Coast, and we certainly weren’t at our best in that stretch between Freo and St Kilda. And we came up against a side that is at the top of their game. The loss is not a surprise and not a massive deal.

Yes it puts us back in the pack, but we are still yet to hit our strides, and the way the coaching staff is managing niggles, tinkering and experimenting at the selection table (even if we don’t like it) tells me they have bigger fish to fry than a match in June. We were never going to finish on top of the ladder with our draw, so if we can just get enough wins to stay in contention, get our players fit and on the park, slowly build into our best form in the last several weeks of the season, we will be in top shape come finals time.

And let’s face it, the last three premierships were won almost exclusively off the back of September form rather than home and away form.

^ You jumped trains from Double A?

Never!

I thought Aliir was pretty good last night but like the rest of our defenders was just lost at sea a fair bit of the time. A lot on here have commented how Aliir was slow off the mark and trailing Riewoldt for a lot of the night, but he was quite often covering two men at once and would lose one to try and cover the other. The same happened to Sir Dane at times. It was genuinely like we didn’t have enough numbers down back or something. Probably to be expected when they were getting it down there at light speed from our turnovers.

Richmond played good footy last night but it was no dominance - we had plenty of the play - our turnovers/ball use made them look better (yes, they applied pressure but nothing we haven't seen before) - honestly think dogs looked more dangerous than them earlier but just couldnt finish. On last night's performance, tiges were far from unbeatable.

Reckon we can still go another cog with youngsters better for the experinece and several seniors still to find their form/fitness.

Perhaps 3-4 players short at this stage on form.

We're still a great side and though we may fall 1-2 rung short of the teams with absolute elite ball users, we make this up through sheer heart and dogged determination (has always been our styale) and if we can get those 3-4 players playing better to get a more even 22, we're right up to our necks in this yr's race. With our finals/GF experience and exposure, we're as good an interstate team as any to challenge any vic team should we get to another GF.
Great post and have to agree particularly with this sentence
"we make this up through sheer heart and dogged determination"
Both the 05 and the 12 flag were won with exactly that. Neither year were we the most talented or the most domininant side and both years we had some terrible losses, but when it counted we stood up as one and overcame the more fancied teams of those respective years.
Richmond are a wonderful footy team, a formidable footy team, a team that deserves to be outright favourite for the flag, but I still believe in my heart we can win it this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back