Autopsy Rd 18 v Hawks - There is nothing to say

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard it all now.

Jones going off mad us better?

What utter wank.
Jones loves an intercept mark and a big spoil as the loose defender in a marking contest.

But he also loves completely disregarding where his man is or giving him far too much space. In a zone defence that leaves the rest of the defence scrambling to cover him.

I don’t know if we necessarily looked better with him off because I think the Hawks took the foot off the gas a bit.

But Jones has been a liability all year.

Some of those teams are idiotic. Some have enough talent around the ground that him getting 40+ doesn’t matter a heap.

It wouldn’t have changed the result, but him getting tagged would have made things tougher for the Hawks around the stoppage. Particularly with O’Meara out.

Smith being let loose wouldn’t have been nearly as bad.
You have a Time Machine?

Some rose-coloured glasses. Polson was much better but made several costly errors. Kennedy racked them up but he turned the ball over several times and created at least two goals. Weiters probably saved as many as he directly gave up with errant touches. Murphy's disposal was atrocious. Harry showed his capabilities but his kicking was very poor. As good as some of the signs were, the prevailing skills issue is killing us on the scoreboard.

Jones loves an intercept mark and a big spoil as the loose defender in a marking contest.

But he also loves completely disregarding where his man is or giving him far too much space. In a zone defence that leaves the rest of the defence scrambling to cover him.

I don’t know if we necessarily looked better with him off because I think the Hawks took the foot off the gas a bit.

But Jones has been a liability all year.
Really,
Coaching staff and list manager reckon he's a great story.

But all those AFL lists you've built say otherwise no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some rose-coloured glasses. Polson was much better but made several costly errors. Kennedy racked them up but he turned the ball over several times and created at least two goals. Weiters probably saved as many as he directly gave up with errant touches. Murphy's disposal was atrocious. Harry showed his capabilities but his kicking was very poor. As good as some of the signs were, the prevailing skills issue is killing us on the scoreboard.
I think most people (read all) were pretty calm in their assessment of the efforts today.

There's no rose coloured glasses that I could see.

When Cripps gets all the physical attention in the world, and we barely put a hand near Mitchell, what sort of result do we expect?

We might be young, but I have said it before we need to work on strengh, skills and fitness as a priority. Preseason for next year really needs to start now.

A few positives;

Weiters played well, a couple of WTF moments but overall was good.
Kennedy starting to show a bit, needs to settle into the game sooner and hold onto the footy if he doesn’t have an option
Polson showed a little, might be a slow burn. Keep playing him.

I can see what we are trying to do with the quick inside hand balls but we are still a fair way off it from a skills and running power point of view. Once the skills and running power are there, we will be able to hit options cleanly and wont overpossess the footy so much.

Last edited:
The stats have shown that teams are better off not tagging Mitchell.. He has had 45+ in all of Hawks losses and they win when he gets under 30..
Some teams don’t tag him because they’ve got good enough players to have the ball enough to win games.

We don’t. When you’re as bad as us you should do everything possible to lock down their best player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back