Autopsy 2023 Rd 18 Bruising Blues shortcircuit Power

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that either have have been setting the world on fire or downright terrible. But stats don't lie.

Dow 15 disposals at 53%. 0 Tackles and 4 Contested posessions (inside midfielder apparently)

Hewett 19 disposals at 74%. 5 Tackles and 10 Contested possessions.

I can't help but think some people are just saying for cheap likes. Either that, or they are merely trying to justify Dow's selection, which even without Kennedy still isn't entirely secure. Sure he has a chance here and there and I do want him to take them. But I won't be sugarcoating a performance which could have been so much better.

It was the most even contribution to date and everyone did play a role to some degree, so I won't go too hard on anyone. But even still, one can't seriously believe Dow delivered more than Hewett here.
Dow also didn’t play a quarter, but I’ll concede the lack of tackling is a problem.

It was more by eye test that stats. Dow did some good things. Maybe it’s because I was looking for Dow.

Anyhow I was happy he got an opportunity.

Not that either have have been setting the world on fire or downright terrible. But stats don't lie.

Dow 15 disposals at 53%. 0 Tackles and 4 Contested posessions (inside midfielder apparently)

I can't help but think some people are just saying for cheap likes. Either that, or they are merely trying to justify Dow's selection, which even without Kennedy still isn't entirely secure. Sure he has a chance here and there and I do want him to take them. But I won't be sugarcoating a performance which could have been so much better.

It was the most even contribution to date and everyone did play a role to some degree, so I won't go too hard on anyone. But even still, one can't seriously believe Dow delivered more than Hewett here.
Did u even watch the game? Hewett played inside mid Dow did not - 17 CBA vs 7, Hew 2 centre clearances Dow 2.
Played completely different games and your trying to compare them?
Fine if u don’t rate Dow but don’t go making s**t up- played 1 less quarter too.
100% he was more effective then Hew offensively & in clearance the very limited time he was played as mid.
Dow didn’t play as a mid & had 1 less clearance.
Acres had 0 tackles, Cunners/Cotts 1 they all not contribute as well??

Not to be taken as anti Dow but Hewett was playing as the defensive midfielder on either Butters or Rozee and did an excellent job.

I don't even get why their is a comparison. Hewett is a proven defensive on baller who lost his way due to injury but now looks to be on his way back. Dow is a a young player who is trying to make his way back after a coaching panel (rightly or wrongly) believed he needed to work on his deficiencies.

They are both Carlton players trying to make our team better, not in opposition to each other.

Dows handballs out of congestion generally result in a scoring opportunity 2 or 3 down the line (is there a stat for this?). Like Cunners(different player types), it's not necessarily possession numbers, but score assists and creating space for others in heavy traffic.
Stats never reveal the whole picture.
George contributed well blocking in the centre square stoppages(Kennedy's role), but was very limited elsewhere.

Really? Highly rated 2nd yearer in Cowan won't play any games? Club rates Boyd and all he needs is a full preseason to go to the next level won't play any games?

Of course they will, Cowan will become a fixture. Sadly we will also have some injuries next season.

Saad > Docherty > Williams > Cincotta > Boyd > Cowan

Cowan's so far down the pecking order he's going to need a lot of injuries to play AFL football in 2024.

Dows handballs out of congestion generally result in a scoring opportunity 2 or 3 down the line (is there a stat for this?). Like Cunners(different player types), it's not necessarily possession numbers, but score assists and creating space for others in heavy traffic.
Stats never reveal the whole picture.
George contributed well blocking in the centre square stoppages(Kennedy's role), but was very limited elsewhere.

Both Hewett & Dow were ordinary on Saturday.

Hewett's been well below his best all year. Fired off plenty of backward handballs and not much else. Was great last year.

Dow had impact in sub in recent weeks although those games were over when he came on. Was played out of position against Port which didn't help.

In our best team I only think we've got room for 1 of Kennedy, Hewett & Dow - and they are clearly favoured in this order.

In recent weeks both Hewett & Dow have been competing for the sub role. Dow is a way better sub option.

Cowan's so far down the pecking order he's going to need a lot of injuries to play AFL football in 2024.
Very short-sighted. Fair chance that Cowan plays this week. Docherty is playing more on ball/wing. To suggest that their is some pecking order set in stone whereby a first year player can't rise up the order is frankly ridiculous.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by how good and tough Cowan is very quickly.

Very short-sighted. Fair chance that Cowan plays this week. Docherty is playing more on ball/wing. To suggest that their is some pecking order set in stone whereby a first year player can't rise up the order is frankly ridiculous.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by how good and tough Cowan is very quickly.
yeah that and the fact that 4 to 5 of those names can all fit in a team at a time so one injury and they're all getting game time. As we are seeing this season.

Dow also didn’t play a quarter, but I’ll concede the lack of tackling is a problem.

It was more by eye test that stats. Dow did some good things. Maybe it’s because I was looking for Dow.

Anyhow I was happy he got an opportunity.
I found he showed little intent to close down a opponent and would almost get to a contest and just hang out at the periphery. Often jogging from the outside of one contest to the outside of the next.

Was disappointing to see his lack of intent.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Career games by Mitch, SOS and Mots plus continued contributions all round. Loving the resurgence.

For the second-week running, my 5 yo son watched the whole game with me and loved celebrating every moment and goal. This is more priceless than any win and gives me hope for his future enjoyment and love of the game/club.

EDIT: Season-best by Acres imo and one of Newy's best (close second behind SOS for POTW).

Last edited:
Career games by Mitch, SOS and Mots plus continued contributions all round. Loving the resurgence.

For the second-week running, my 5 yo son watched the whole game with me and loved celebrating every moment and goal. This is more priceless than any win and gives me hope for his future enjoyment and love of the game/club.

Don’t forget to sit your son down on Thursday night to the watch the Matilda’s play and sing the national anthem…! Give him an experience of national pride that you can’t get from AFL!

Don’t forget to sit your son down on Thursday night to the watch the Matilda’s play and sing the national anthem…! Give him an experience of national pride that you can’t get from AFL!
Great idea - thanks, mate. This (watching and playing sport with my son) was something that brought me to near tears when he was 3w old. Now its happening, it brings me more and more joy every moment we spend together.

Magnificent game by the blues. Best win since 2013 EF. Loved the timeslot. Straight to the Hoff with my boys for a Veal Shnizt and and a litre of Pilsner to celebrate after the game, though $90 for a round of drinks is steep.

One of the big differences defensively is we seem to be burying the opponents outside runner in a tackle once they receive the ball rather than getting too many numbers sucked towards the ball carrier. Fogarty has been huge since his return after not really showing that much in the 2s. He is just doing his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan could easily jump Cincotta and Boyd before this season ends let alone over preseason. Both have been solid but not shooting the lights out. Docherty hasn't been playing defence. We will play 4 small-medium defenders each week plus injuries. Plenty of opportunitties

I found he showed little intent to close down a opponent and would almost get to a contest and just hang out at the periphery. Often jogging from the outside of one contest to the outside of the next.

Was disappointing to see his lack of intent.

That was his job, wasn’t playing as a mid.
Had to hang back and stop an oppo drive forward if they cleared it back to push forward. If he pushed in he would have copped a bollocking.
Was then overlapped when we moved forward and busted his butt to get front and centre at the next contest.

That was his job, wasn’t playing as a mid.
Had to hang back and stop an oppo drive forward if they cleared it back to push forward. If he pushed in he would have copped a bollocking.
Was then overlapped when we moved forward and busted his butt to get front and centre at the next contest.
And that's why it's hard to judge from the outside without knowing what their roles are and how they've been asked to play that role.

Last edited:
agree with the sentiment - shame it's the worst national anthem on the planet...........

You can't compare Hewett's possessions or play to Dow. Dow got nearly double the metres gained. Biting off a lot more challenging possessions. Hewett had 6 pos as sub a few weeks back for -27 metres gained.

I thought Paddy was decent but lacked a bit of desperation at times at other times he looked like a perfect compliment to the rest of our midfield.

He has that dash and pace that Hewett never will. Hopefully he's got another gear though as he was at times just a bit too casual. Career on the line Paddy - have a crack mate.

Glad to see Cow get a chance… but he’s only keeping Boyd’s seat warm.. who is only keeping Williams seat warm.

I don’t see either playing in 2024 tbh. Genuinely excited to have Zac back out there. Gun.

Agree Zac is a gun and will improve us in 2024

But given 30-35 players will play for us next year (and not just best 22 plus sub) it’s highly likely both Cow and Boyd play next season. Plus they are both young so could have break out seasons after another pre season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hopefully Giants are already eliminated by then but if they are playing for a Finals spot it will be like an extra elimination final two weeks before the real Finals

nah - i expect us and GWS to replace St Kilda and the bombers - not convinced that bulldogs will stay in either. the GWS game could be a dead rubber

Hopefully Giants are already eliminated by then but if they are playing for a Finals spot it will be like an extra elimination final two weeks before the real Finals

it would be very carlton to drop one against the Gold Coast and stuff it all up....🤣

Adelaide last year anyone???

Crunched the numbers.

First time in our history that we've won 4 games in a row by 50+ points.

Beat West Coast by 50, and it'll be the third time ever a team has won 5 consecutive games by 50+ points (Geelong with 5 in 2008 and Geelong again with 6 in 1989).

Fair turnaround.

Thanks for the shout out Riley

I have been to a couple of those International Rules hybrid games at the G vs Ireland, but yeah its not the same thing:)

Back