Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I did read his comments and he thinks like i do that it is very unlikely Mitch McGovern moves. You do realise he is contracted for another 2 seasons after this one so the crows can shut it down if they want. If he does move it will be for big overs and the crows will come out big winners - end of

EDIT: With Jeremy re-signing and the list of top end free agents dwindling every week, it strengthens Adelaide's hand further as there are less top end players on the market clubs can go after
Not arguing the fact that if he leaves it’ll be for overs, I’m arguing that his brother signing at West Coast hardly puts his brother wanting out or not to bed.

Well, one of the angle's that I was hearing was that they would both push to go to a new club together. No way he is going to WCE this year because they dont have any picks. I don't think we would have traded him anyway. But why on earth would we trade him to WCE when they can't give us good picks and he has two more years to run on his contract. I was 99% sure he would stay, 1% worried about Freo moving for both McGoverns. Now 100% confident he stays.

Great for West Coast as well. Hope he has milked them dry though :)

Whilst im with you on mitch staying at adelaide... the line i have bolded in your comment doesnt take into account one thing... if Gaff leaves (and maybe they have found some extra cash to retain Gaff) and they match and force a trade, they may end up with a nice juicy pick to throw at adelaide for mitch..

Darling has plenty of football left in him as he has only just turned 26 last month in comparison to JK who will be 31 next month. Probably JK will retire in the next year or two I would think.

If that new zoning rule comes in JK can play longer. Not being allowed out of the forward 50 and less flooding he would still be very dangerous

Not arguing the fact that if he leaves it’ll be for overs, I’m arguing that his brother signing at West Coast hardly puts his brother wanting out or not to bed.
Back to Shaz2012's comments, the perception was that he and Jeremy could have been keen to play together and it would have been a lure for him particularly if Jeremy had moved (and possibly for a recruiting club to be able to better land both of them). Now that Jeremy has decided to stay, what is Mitch's motivation to leave? - if not to play with his brother and everything that we hear is that he is very tight with the crows playing group - then what - for money? The crows have him locked away for 2 years and unless as we all agree it is for big overs or for compassionate reasons, there is very very little reason for the crows to let him go IMO

Whilst im with you on mitch staying at adelaide... the line i have bolded in your comment doesnt take into account one thing... if Gaff leaves (and maybe they have found some extra cash to retain Gaff) and they match and force a trade, they may end up with a nice juicy pick to throw at adelaide for mitch..

Same with the potentially Lycett move but the likelihood of that has all but evaporated.

If all three fa re-sign then the Eagles will hit the draft again

Naa. Staying. I think he was going to stay anyway. This just eliminates the rumour that they were both going to move to a new club like Freo or Carlton. Just takes me from 99% sure to 100% sure. WCE wont have much motivation to get Gov now. Their forward line is pretty much set for 2019. They might come back for him in a couple years time. But hopefully he stays long term.

Naa. Staying. I think he was going to stay anyway. This just eliminates the rumour that they were both going to move to a new club like Freo or Carlton. Just takes me from 99% sure to 100% sure. WCE wont have much motivation to get Gov now. Their forward line is pretty much set for 2019. They might come back for him in a couple years time. But hopefully he stays long term.
Who knows... we’ll have to wait and see.. im about 75% on mitch staying now... was 50/50 before today.

And just on your comment WC’s forward line is set for next year... well so is the crows forward line, its set for the next couple of years, but everyone is still adament adelaide are somehow “desperate” to give up the world for pick 1 and Jack lukosious!...

Never say never..

Back to Shaz2012's comments, the perception was that he and Jeremy could have been keen to play together and it would have been a lure for him particularly if Jeremy had moved (and possibly for a recruiting club to be able to better land both of them). Now that Jeremy has decided to stay, what is Mitch's motivation to leave? - if not to play with his brother and everything that we hear is that he is very tight with the crows playing group - then what - for money? The crows have him locked away for 2 years and unless as we all agree it is for big overs or for compassionate reasons, there is very very little reason for the crows to let him go IMO
I've heard neither is that fazed about not being able to play together at this stage - apparently Jeremy said plenty of time for that when they are both retired and back living in Albany.

Same with the potentially Lycett move but the likelihood of that has all but evaporated.

If all three fa re-sign then the Eagles will hit the draft again
Lycett wont be going anywhere.. he’s too valuable to them now.

I think gaff will stay too.. probably on $800-850k a year.. everyone forgets that the recent 20% increase in salary cap makes an $800k a year salary like a 600k salary last year.. and clubs have extra coin, especially if they didnt have the 20% increase automatically included in existing contracts signed a couple of years ago..

Well considering when the story broke it was about money and had nothing to do with his brother, yes. He’ll likely get offered a bigger deal by another club that believe or not may not be West Coast.

Again for the third time, I’m not arguing that he’s not contracted or that Adelaide would only trade him for over so you can stop mentioning that.

I am arguing that his brother signing puts nothing to bed. Mitch was contracted whether Jeremy signed or not. All this puts to bed is the theory that they may end up at the same club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well considering when the story broke it was about money and had nothing to do with his brother, yes. He’ll likely get offered a bigger deal by another club that believe or not may not be West Coast.

Again for the third time, I’m not arguing that he’s not contracted or that Adelaide would only trade him for over so you can stop mentioning that.

I am arguing that his brother signing puts nothing to bed. Mitch was contracted whether Jeremy signed or not. All this puts to bed is the theory that they may end up at the same club.
Your whole argument is built on a fallacy as he is contracted so it means that unless like i have already told you he wants to leave for compassionate grounds he won't go unless the crows allow him to. Going by that logic jack steven might end up at another club next year as might any of your contracted players

It’s a huge deal over 5 years, but good luck to him.

Normally players stay at their club for a little less so I’d love to know what was offered by other clubs if those figures are correct!!

Absolutely.

It’s great news for McGovern, West Coast and their fans but it seems very steep to me. I can’t imagine other clubs offering much more than that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your whole argument is built on a fallacy as he is contracted so it means that unless like i have already told you he wants to leave for compassionate grounds he won't go unless the crows allow him to. Going by that logic jack steven might end up at another club next year as might any of your contracted players
If there were reports that Jack Steven wanted out then that might be the case. I’ve actually got no idea whether Mitch will ask for a trade or not, I’m not pretending that I know. But as I said, his brother signing a contract in WA hardly puts it to bed. The issue was reportedly about money, not wanting to play with his brother.

Mitch wouldn’t be the first contracted player to ask for a trade. Whether Adelaide facilitated the trade or not is up to them and to be honest I wouldn’t care either way.

He’d be close to it I guess. Certainly the top 5. How many guys are on $1M+?

Maybe 10+ now I think?

Maybe more? - more every year really.

I think it’ll probably be pretty good value over the journey if he holds up his end of the bargain.

26 year old duel All Australian key defender...if there’s guys that get the big bucks it’s him.

Am I the only one that thinks $1.1M is far too much for McGovern?

With Alex Rance they are the best 2 tall defenders in the game by a fair ways. Can have entire defence built around him. Gov is only 26! Gov will probably be 3 x AA by the end of this year.

With rebound defence being all the rage these last few years a gun CHB is just as valuble as a gun CHF. Mcgovern can play both positions.

It's a lot of money but players like Mcgovern are almost irreplacable.

Maybe 10+ now I think?

Maybe more? - more every year really.

I think it’ll probably be pretty good value over the journey if he holds up his end of the bargain.

26 year old duel All Australian key defender...if there’s guys that get the big bucks it’s him.

Agreed. The number will continue to increase so it probably represents pretty good value as you said.

McGovern is unquestionably one of the best defenders in the game so props to all involved. I certainly wasn’t having a crack.

With Alex Rance they are the best 2 tall defenders in the game by a fair ways. Both can have entire defence built around them. Both are in their peak with years left (Gov is only 26!). Gov will probably be 3 x AA by the end of this year.

With rebound defence being all the rage these last few years a gun CHB is just as valuble as a gun CHF.

It's a lot of money but players like Mcgovern and Rance are almost irreplacable.

I wouldn't say they are the best 2 by a fair way, Daniel Talia would be right up there as well.

With Alex Rance they are the best 2 tall defenders in the game by a fair ways. Both can have entire defence built around them. Both are in their peak with years left (Gov is only 26!). Gov will probably be 3 x AA by the end of this year.

With rebound defence being all the rage these last few years a gun CHB is just as valuble as a gun CHF. Mcgovern can play both positions.

It's a lot of money but players like Mcgovern and Rance are almost irreplacable.

Agree for the most part. I do think a gun CHF is worth more than a gun CHB though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back