When does the blowtoch get applied to John Longmire?

How much of the blame for Saturday's disaster lies with Longmire?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tippet is so divisive.

I think he is an absolute gun for the Swans and a great addition. BUT, for me, they needed Tippet OR Buddy not both. I think they have leaked a few too many players because they took both on.

Great youth at that club though.
Well, that's the shape of the Sherrin. We took Tippett a year before we had any inkling Buddy was coming on the market.

s**t thread - like the big footy version of a Robbo conversation or article. The reasons for start to season are obvious to blind Freddy - but f..k it - any opportunity for character asssasination..

Blowtorch ...put the bong down OP

Seriously.....he’s done a great job....how many prelims have they played in

They have developed talent every year

They’ll rebuild pretty quickly ....they are a great club with good culture

THEY HAVE contended every year for about 6-7 years .....dam fine record

Their game plan seems kind of archaic. They just haven't changed with the times.
Its definitely hard not to think they aren't getting the most out of their list right now. They still have some bloody good players and some really talented youngsters. Yes they have injuries too and some guys are carrying stuff but everyone is like that at this stage of the year. Essendon were playing without our best 2 key forward options. You just need to back your system in and get replacement guys to play a role.

Who would want to play in Sydney's forward line? They had 39 inside 50s for the match. Anybody would struggle with those numbers.
It wasn't coincidence either because the way they moved the ball was just sad. It was just slow kicks down the boundary to contests all the time. Its a waste because they have some real talent up forward. Obviously Franklin, but even young guys like Ronke and Hayward are going to be fine players. Papley is a good goal sneak as well. McCartin may be something good one day, though he's not quite there yet. You wouldn't have known any of this from today's game though as their forwards never got much of a look. Frankly it was a miracle that they outscored us in the second quarter, kicking goals from nearly every inside 50 - completely unsustainable.

Reckon Swans need to change up their game plan, recruit a couple of speedsters (they are definitely one paced over their entire team) and they could be back in the hunt in no time at all. If they stick to their current plan then things could get ugly for them over the next few years.

Just because Sydney haven't won a premiership in the past few years doesn't mean the club isn't being well run. Probably one of the most consistent and professional outfits in modern times, Longmire is safe for a long time and rightfully so.
He’s been a good coach, but he may have run out of tricks. Running a club well, but not winnng flags is not how the game works.

The successful Sydney teams of the last dozen years have typically been around 26yo on average. In the past couple of years, when forced to field younger teams, their record is nothing special.

Sydney teams < 25yo, 2017-18

Year|Rd|Avg Age|Age Diff|Opp|Res|Opp Pos
\2018|19|24.73|-0.78|Es|L|11th
\2018|18|24.44|+1.00|GC|L|17th
\2018|17|24.48|-0.86|NM|W|10th
\2017|14|24.96|-0.66|Es|W|8th
\2017|12|24.95|-0.21|WB|W|10th
\2017|10|24.77|-1.46|Ha|L|12th
\2017|9|24.96|-0.16|St|W|11th
\2017|8|24.82|+0.09|NM|W|15th
\2017|7|24.55|+1.25|Br|W|18th
\2017|6|24.35|-0.22|Ca|L|16th
\2017|5|24.71|-0.40|GWS|L|4th
\2017|4|24.34|-2.76|WC|L|6th
\2017|3|24.36|-0.75|Co|L|13th
\2017|2|24.89|-0.72|WB|L|10th
Sydney look great when they're only playing their best two or three kids, but tonight had five players 21 or under in McCartin (18), Hayward (19), Florent (20), Ronke (20) & Dawson (21).

Throw in the inexperience of O'Riordan (22, 2 games), Fox (25, 10 games), Aliir (24, 22 games), Newman (25, 25 games), and their most senior player in Grundy being ill, and there aren't enough seasoned players to carry the load.

They're at a fork in the road - transition period or trade table.

No players ever leave Sydney by choice, without a nudge. Sign of a great coach. I would want to keep Longmire if i was a Swan supporter.... but they might be in for a few tough years.

We'll be ok & one must think of a replacement when you talk of this stuff.
Who will that be without turning things upside down.
No Horse deserves the change to benefit from tge youngsters he's blooded these last 3 years.
17 apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a great club, still are.
Injuries explain some of the problems.

But the mechanical and static game plan surely stands out to observers.

They will always be a big show in close games given the desire of all players but more and more teams with dynamism in attack can take the game away from them.

Horse: as pies have shown, persisting with your coach and helping them improve is a much better option than sacking them and losing all the IP and personal improvements that would go out the door with them. Longmire needs to reassess himself, like everyone needs to when hitting the wall.

Buddy looks heavier than 1 or 2 years ago. He is not being optimised by poor offensive forays. The wait of expectation bears heavily on him I think, he takes too many low % options due to this expectation and he should trust team mates more.

A couple of good young fellas who provide excitement for fans I would think: Ronke and Macca stand out as future guns.

Had one of the two best lists in the league for the past 5 seasons yet unable to win a flag.

Nowhere near one of the best lists. They lack serious speed down back and hence the slow movement of the ball into the forward line. They can win the ball no problems (Kennedy, Parker etc) but struggle ti run it at speed. Some of the youngsters currently playing will hopefully come through but as always with kids, they are inconsistent.

Been a great club, still are.
Injuries explain some of the problems.

But the mechanical and static game plan surely stands out to observers.

They will always be a big show in close games given the desire of all players but more and more teams with dynamism in attack can take the game away from them.

Horse: as pies have shown, persisting with your coach and helping them improve is a much better option than sacking them and losing all the IP and personal improvements that would go out the door with them. Longmire needs to reassess himself, like everyone needs to when hitting the wall.

Buddy looks heavier than 1 or 2 years ago. He is not being optimised by poor offensive forays. The wait of expectation bears heavily on him I think, he takes too many low % options due to this expectation and he should trust team mates more.

A couple of good young fellas who provide excitement for fans I would think: Ronke and Macca stand out as future guns.

Horse said last night on radio that Buddy hasn't been able to get onto the training track. I don't think he's fat or carrying any extra but certainly affected his touch.

I have an incredible amount of respect for the swans - as I do for the Hawks, and for similar reasons, as they are both representative of what Geelong aims at: permanently competitive and never far away from a tilt at a flag. And Longmire is obviously an excellent coach.

But I can't help but think in general he gets off pretty lightly compared to Scott for example. There are a lot of parralels between the paths of both coaches and Scott seems to be perennially coaching for his job while Longmire seems to cop a bit less scrutiny.

I hope Longmire stays, we'll get to see other great evolutions in coaching such as dimming the lights in the box and covering his mouth when he makes his move on game day (sending Buddy up field a bit)

Seriously though, he's fine when his one game plan works but has no idea how to deal with changes, and really needs to develop a game plan to suit his current list, not stubbornly plugging new players into his 2012 game plan

They're in 5th position on the ladder for christ sakes, but apparently he's completely washed up. What a joke

It's a fair point but by tomorrow night, if results go towards favourites, they will be ninth. He's not washed up by any means and if there's one team I'd back to fight their way into contention it's sydney but they are a long way off the mark right at the moment. It's a long bow to draw but if we hadn't fallen apart in the final quarter against them they'd already be at lengthening odds to play finals.

I have an incredible amount of respect for the swans - as I do for the Hawks, and for similar reasons, as they are both representative of what Geelong aims at: permanently competitive and never far away from a tilt at a flag. And Longmire is obviously an excellent coach.

But I can't help but think in general he gets off pretty lightly compared to Scott for example. There are a lot of parralels between the paths of both coaches and Scott seems to be perennially coaching for his job while Longmire seems to cop a bit less scrutiny.

True enough. If Scott took the Cats into a GF as strong favourites and lost it by 63 points then the blowback would knock over trees here in Adelaide. To follow that, losing another GF to a team which finished 7th. Well ...

I like the Swans and Longmire, but he's had a very talented list up and about for more than five years and only snagged one flag. Now, that's still a good result, but you look at where they were and think they should have got at least one more. His game plan does seem dated now. While they are in fifth (for now), they have had some wins despite having plenty less scoring shots that may be flattering them. Brereton had a point that they lured the best forward in the game, only to play a defensive style.

Back