When does the blowtoch get applied to John Longmire?

How much of the blame for Saturday's disaster lies with Longmire?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the Swans and Longmire, but he's had a very talented list up and about for more than five years and only snagged one flag. Now, that's still a good result, but you look at where they were and think they should have got at least one more. His game plan does seem dated now. While they are in fifth (for now), they have had some wins despite having plenty less scoring shots that may be flattering them. Brereton had a point that they lured the best forward in the game, only to play a defensive style.
When you say "he's had a talented list", you disregard the work he and his coaches have done to take a list that is 75% made up of low picks, moneyball trades and rookies and keep them as a powerhouse. How is one flag and two GF losses a bad record in the era where Hawthorn dominated? They should have won in 2016, but the fates weren't smiling on them.

When you say "he's had a talented list", you disregard the work he and his coaches have done to take a list that is 75% made up of low picks, moneyball trades and rookies and keep them as a powerhouse. How is one flag and two GF losses a bad record in the era where Hawthorn dominated? They should have won in 2016, but the fates weren't smiling on them.

The umpires did not help either.

I don't discount that at all; he's done a great job and if the Swans had won in 2016, then I think he would be highly regarded for getting the most out of his team. But I do feel his game plan is out of sync with the current game and unless he can adapt, then it might be time to move on. He'd be ideally suited to a poor team needing to improve its defensive set-up before moving on to attack.

It's a fair point but by tomorrow night, if results go towards favourites, they will be ninth. He's not washed up by any means and if there's one team I'd back to fight their way into contention it's sydney but they are a long way off the mark right at the moment. It's a long bow to draw but if we hadn't fallen apart in the final quarter against them they'd already be at lengthening odds to play finals.

and what's the, 2 times they haven't played finals in the past 15 years?

Had one of the two best lists in the league for the past 5 seasons yet unable to win a flag.
You guys tried another method & that got a red flag.
We tried. We've won two flags & competed for a few others.
I can deal with it. I love it that the Swans have given us so much joy in a Victorian biased competition & looking forward to beating Essendo in finals again.

I think all premiership coaches deserve great recognition regardless of the circumstances and even if a one off like Chris Scott, Longmire and Beveridge.

Sydney struggling but Longmire needs at least 3 years of non finals before the blow torch comes in my view.

I think all premiership coaches deserve great recognition regardless of the circumstances and even if a one off like Chris Scott, Longmire and Beveridge.

Sydney struggling but Longmire needs at least 3 years of non finals before the blow torch comes in my view.

While there's obviously a few issues, I think with a flag and three GF appearances, and never missing the finals, Longmire has enough credit in the bank to definitely get some extra time. I don't think there's another coach out there right now that's going to suddenly put the Swans over the top.

While there's obviously a few issues, I think with a flag and three GF appearances, and never missing the finals, Longmire has enough credit in the bank to definitely get some extra time. I don't think there's another coach out there right now that's going to suddenly put the Swans over the top.

I would love to see what Chris Fagan would do with the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking last night that Blakey coming along had been ill timed.

I reckon their midfield is pants now. It’s ageing and slow.
Blakely will take their first when they really need a mid.
Edit: he sees himself as a mid... thought he was a kF. In which case WTF do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was thinking last night that Blakey coming along had been ill timed.

I reckon their midfield is pants now. It’s ageing and slow.
Blakely will take their first when they really need a mid.
Edit: he sees himself as a mid... thought he was a kF. In which case WTF do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly enough Blakey sees himself as a midfielder, and he did play very well in the midfield for short bursts for the allies. Sure he is 195cm, but prior to his growth spurt he apparently played most of his junior career as a midfielder.

Nahhh. Sorrry.
The bloke has earnt the odd period of being s**t.
We are, and anyone would be, PROUD of our ability to put a competitive team into finals most years. To be one of the gatekeepers.
Get past us, and you've earnt it. If we are TRULY good enough we might even win the flag.
Got to give yourself a chance though.

That is the dream. To put yourself up there with a chance as often as u can. Even in seasons where u realise u have no right to be amongst the top few mobs.

We dont shaft those who do our club proud.

They're in 5th position on the ladder for christ sakes, but apparently he's completely washed up. What a joke
But fifth isn’t 1st. A decade of 8th to 2nd is not real success. If it were Rodney Eade would be one of the GOATs

The umpires did not help either.
Being 2nd to the ball all game save for the opening 10 mins and then 15 mins in the 2nd qtr didn't help. Also selecting 2 badly underdone players (Mills and McVeigh) was a fatal mistake for an already slow team - Sydney got nothing from their bottom 6.

But yeah, umpires and s**t, even though 7 Dogs frees were play on advantage and a further 3 Dogs frees happened in the last minute of the game when we were already 22 poins up. Let's not mention the appalling goal reversal of JJ either.

Simply not good enough when it mattered.

What on earth are you on about, didnt he win a premiership like 5 years ago? Hes clearly one of the better coaches in the AFL

You don’t just hold onto a coach cause they once won a flag. If he’s run out of tricks, then someone else needs to come in. It doesn’t detract from him being a good coach at one point. Anyway, this is just speculation at this point, but I don’t understand why you would be troubled by the idea that he may be past his use by date

Don’t like him. His team are perennial blockers in marking contests. You could see Sydney’s defenders trying to block Hurley from following Franklin on a lead on Friday night. It’s cheating and astonishing that it’s still happening since Clarkson has publicly called it out. Coaches who preside over perennial cheating tactics should come under scrutiny. (Inb4hirddrugssaga)

Being 2nd to the ball all game save for the opening 10 mins and then 15 mins in the 2nd qtr didn't help. Also selecting 2 badly underdone players (Mills and McVeigh) was a fatal mistake for an already slow team - Sydney got nothing from their bottom 6.

But yeah, umpires and s**t, even though 7 Dogs frees were play on advantage and a further 3 Dogs frees happened in the last minute of the game when we were already 22 poins up. Let's not mention the appalling goal reversal of JJ either.

Simply not good enough when it mattered.

It was the frees not paid to Sydney. Particularly the 3 leg breakers, the dozen throws, the poleaxing of Kieren Jack after a mark.....

Back