Unofficial Preview Cats V Hawks - Another Chapter in THE RIVALRY..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get a total of 11 possessions over 2 weeks to go with 10 clangers you're not playing that well
Still doesn't answer the question of how many goals has he conceded to his direct opponent - surely that's the most important factor when determining the impact of a lock-down defender has on a match.

Yes his had 10 clangers the last two weeks, but 5 of those are for free kicks against which includes a BS 50m penalty in the Lions match when the guy went down like he had been shot but was barely touched.

Bews would be one of the first defenders picked each week because he does his job and we don't have another small defender who locks down on opponents as he does. The only reason he is missing this week is because he put his body on the line, dislocating his shoulder trying to lay a tackle to impact the match - he could have done like a few others and either gone the bump or stood off them.

Maybe rather than some focusing on Bews for not racking up a heap of disposals each week, something that isn't actually his job, we should be asking why aren't others as hard at ball & contest as him? Because week in & week out we see him take heavy contact, get up and go hard into the next contest.

Last edited:

Replacing Thurlow with O'Connor - poor Jackson must be doing backflips. His time is up it seems. Imagine how he feels. Thurlow had a shocker last week but still offers more stability than the young irishman (rust could be used as an excuse for Thurlow first game back in the firsts).

I think by being a first round pick at Geelong who has been disowned by the match committee, he could almost have been given a step by step checklist. It's a copy/paste from (at least) Brown, Smedts, and Lang.

Well said - I've been complaining about it for years and we still aren't doing the basics right. Richmond is a perfect example of a team who has been drilled and reminded the importance of front and square. Our players still can't figure it out or do it on a consistent basis.

Part of the problem is some of our midfielders feel they need to take marks in packs instead of waiting on the ground for the ball to spill.

Ceglar, Shoenmakers, Brand, Worpel, Henderson, Nash, Morrison, Burton, Impey, Miles. All peanuts and you blokes are melting over a couple of inclusions.
Just because you haven't heard much about them, doesn't make them bad players - especially Ryan Burton, who was second in the Rising Star last year.

Just because you haven't heard much about them, doesn't make them bad players - especially Ryan Burton, who was second in the Rising Star last year.
Where did he finish in the rising start this year... I rest my case

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think by being a first round pick at Geelong who has been disowned by the match committee, he could almost have been given a step by step checklist. It's a copy/paste from (at least) Brown, Smedts, and Lang.
I'm confused to see how Thurlow had a shocker last week, one bad kick touched off the boot, if that kick got through he had a Guy running in to open Goal,what about his second Effort when he ran 50 meters to lay a tackle whilst his Team Mates where no where to be seen, Sorry I think Kolo was running in slow motion behind a Tiger who received the Ball, Resulted in a Point, I might add Kolo was Brilliant on the night racking up his 5 Possessions, it is so Obvious that Thurlow has been shafted by Scarlett, tell me how Blokes like Guthrie are holding down there position because he has been very average since his return,THIS is an absolute easy way out for the MC and his Disciples, Lets get rid of Thurlow and CO this week, bring in Parsons and O'connor knowing full well soon as Bews and Harry are good to go, we will then give them the chop, those two Guys would be thinking Forms not every thing at this Club.

THIS is an absolute easy way out for the MC and his Disciples, Lets get rid of Thurlow and CO this week, bring in Parsons and O'connor knowing full well soon as Bews and Harry are good to go, we will then give them the chop, those two Guys would be thinking Forms not every thing at this Club.
Problem with that is there maybe nothing to comeback to this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His output is actually better than Cockatoo’s. Talk about opposing reputations on here.
I’ve never seen Parsen’s take multiple contested marks in the forward line in a game and win one on two contests and break away and kick goals like Gary Ablett senior. Cockatoo has numerous times in a very limited amount of games. He is the only player I have seen at Geelong in thirty years who can do what Ablett did. Im shocked you can’t see that.

Dry game i go in very confident. Wet game and I think we are stuffed. It’s going to be a real scrap and hawks small forwards will kill us. Bews really picked a game to get injured.

Google weather suggests showers all morning.
Should just leave the groundball gets to Kelly - sticky hands!

I’ve never seen Parsen’s take multiple contested marks in the forward line in a game and win one on two contests and break away and kick goals like Gary Ablett senior. Cockatoo has numerous times in a very limited amount of games. He is the only player I have seen at Geelong in thirty years who can do what Ablett did. Im shocked you can’t see that.
Excluding PFD of cause.

Interesting article:

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett says he would not have an issue with his club playing in Geelong next year provided the GMHBA Stadium surface was ‘up to speed’...

...But Kennett said if his players were ensured a safe playing environment he had no issue travelling down the highway.
“I like playing on good grounds that are safe, that is my primary concern, the welfare of the players has got to be the primary concern of any president,” Kennett said.
“I don’t like injuries and I don’t like grounds that are too hard and not prepared sufficiently to give all players who compete the best opportunity to come off the ground with an injury.
“So, I think our ground down in Launceston is the best ground in the league, the MCG is very good, and I don’t know about Geelong but I would assume it is all right given it is in good condition.
“But my only reservation ever is, I don’t care where we play as long as the quality of the surface of the ground is up to speed.”...

...“Every club is asked towards the end of the season, and we have all done it now, how you want to see the next season play out,” he said.
“I don’t know if Geelong is requesting to play Hawthorn down there but one of the reasons Geelong plays at the MCG is we get a lot more people into the MCG than we do at Geelong.
“But that still may not as financially beneficial to Geelong because every time they play down there they (take in) about $1 million and they probably don’t get that from the MCG.”

I totally agree with his last point about playing in Geelong being more financially beneficial to the club.

But asking if the surface is safe and up to speed is a joke.

Please bring Hawthorn down to Geelong next year as that would be awesome, and also stick it to Richmond & their members who sook about not playing all their games at the MCG because they lose home ground advantage - that was the reason right as they didn't use their allocated tickets last time they played down the highway

Article link:
https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...d/news-story/8ee5eab036d5629f7300ed3c6b9c5d96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back