Unofficial Preview Rd 22 Geelong v Fremantle at KP.. does it even matter ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, Harley Bennell probably comes back in for Freo this week.

And probably play like he did 5 years ago kicking six against Geelong for the Suns. Bennell probably annoys me like no other player for the talent he has and what he seems to this point have done to waste it.

The norf and Port results help us out no end, and i just hope the side settles. To be honest against the Tigers, the kick by i think Cunico (or Thurlow), but by whoever, i wasn't upset that he tried it...obviously the ball was a shank in the last quarter then, but he was playing the game the way Geelong play best. That's the sort of dare Geelong need to display to upset the applecart of teams like the Tigers, so dropping him after that would be a blow to his confidence. Would it be better for him to be encouraged to continue to play that way and just gain confidence in future?

It's been said by many, Turbocat in particular that this fractured continuity is sort of meaning the bottom half of the side sort of never gel properly, or at least get the chance to do so. It's in and out, sometimes players coming in from the McGoos with limited form anyway, and hence we have games where we are close but no cigar.

I recon Cunico is a talented player who just needs some confidence, and Thurlow too....these are players who have only played a relative handful of games. Richmond is being rewarded by having a big group of players having been together for a while and all being on the same page. WE seem to be all over the playbook, and hence we are having a season of fits and starts.

Incidentally, unless Geelong with the Flag this season, it'll be the season of our most losses since 2006. Perhaps that's something to put into perspective....the Cats lost nine in 2015 in going 11-9-1 with the abandoned Crows game, and have nine losses now. We've had a pretty good run at it i guess. But i agree that we need to change up something in the coaches box or match committee to get the best out of the group in the future.

72D894E0-D344-4704-B427-91D792925C88.png
Put this way, if Port lose to Collingwood at the G next week and we win we make finals, simple. We have a better percentage and will hopefully build on that in the coming weeks, ive never wanted the pies to win more!!!
Melbourne are missing the 8 if they lose today. They are 0 & 7 against the top 9 sides this year, and no reason to think they will beat Eagles in Perth or GWS

That’s some kind of favourable draw gifted to them by the AFL. 13 games against sides ranked 10th or worse.
I have us making it, and getting a home final against Port now.

To be honest against the Tigers, the kick by i think Cunico (or Thurlow), but by whoever, i wasn't upset that he tried it...obviously the ball was a shank in the last quarter then, but he was playing the game the way Geelong play best. That's the sort of dare Geelong need to display to upset the applecart of teams like the Tigers,
It was Thurlow.

While I disagree with your interpretation of his overall performance in the game, I agree about the kick itself - it was the right idea, but badly executed.

However, the side has played so well at times in the last quarter when throwing caution to the breeze (Hawthorn Rd 2 and last week, Melbourne at KP, etc.), that I'd like to see us play through the centre and bite off more than we can chew on occasion.

I can't remember a Geelong side that has ever played boring football, until this one - I know it wasn't always successful, but it was fun and it was part of our DNA. At least, if we're going down, let's go down bloody fighting and not deservingly.

In: Abbott, Murdoch, Constable, Bews, Buzza

Out: Stanley (inj), Guthrie, Kolodjashnij, Parsons, O'Connor

B: Bews - Blicavs - Stewart
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Duncan
C: Murdoch - J.Selwood - Kelly
HF: Parfitt - Buzza - Menegola
F: Fogarty - Hawkins - Menzel

Foll: Abbott - Dangerfield - Ablett

Int: Constable - Henry - S.Selwood - Narkle

I'd love to drop Scooter and Fogarty too. Constable needs to play now. He's clean and creative and can distribute well by hand. The 4 I've dropped can spend the rest of their career in the VFL.

I was literally copying this across when I saw that you'd done it. If only he was in yesterday and was able to tackle Breust or Mitchell or O'Meara into the ground dangerously. I'd take the suspension, just to see that sort of aggression come in.

Hopefully, just a fine and he can come in next week and prowl our forward line.

View attachment 542185
Melbourne are missing the 8 if they lose today. They are 0 & 7 against the top 9 sides this year, and no reason to think they will beat Eagles in Perth or GWS

That’s some kind of favourable draw gifted to them by the AFL. 13 games against sides ranked 10th or worse.
I have us making it, and getting a home final against Port now.

I reckon they could beat GWS at the G, GWS have a lot of injuries and the dees generally play well there and considering it could be seaaon on line they could be up and about, although i havent dismissed the idea of teams tanking so we don't make it!!!

I reckon they could beat GWS at the G, GWS have a lot of injuries and the dees generally play well there and considering it could be seaaon on line they could be up and about, although i havent dismissed the idea of teams tanking so we don't make it!!!
Then we just need Port to lose 1 game and we are in. (Providing we win both games)
I’m more relaxed now than I was earlier today.
By the way......they didn’t play too well there today. Sydney was ripe for the picking being two down, and they choked it up.

As for other teams tanking so we miss......just lulz.
They’re all in their own little battles, no way they’re thinking about us
Tin foil hat stuff

Last edited:
Melbourne only needed to beat Collingwood in round 23 last year to play finals and we know how that match turned out

GWS will be a tougher match up than Collingwood was last year

Melbourne only needed to beat Collingwood in round 23 last year to play finals and we know how that match turned out

GWS will be a tougher match up than Collingwood was last year
Dylan Shiel is playing like a man possessed. Kelly will be back for that game too. They will rove off Gawn (not that Lobb is too bad) and hit Cameron all game. GWS want that double chance.

The game the Melbourne might steal is the WC one. They played awesome just to catch up, but are really suffering without their prime movers. I just hope Kennedy will be back for that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Shiel is playing like a man possessed. Kelly will be back for that game too. They will rove off Gawn (not that Lobb is too bad) and hit Cameron all game. GWS want that double chance.

The game the Melbourne might steal is the WC one. They played awesome just to catch up, but are really suffering without their prime movers. I just hope Kennedy will be back for that game.
We just need to beat Freo.

Put this way, if Port lose to Collingwood at the G next week and we win we make finals, simple. We have a better percentage and will hopefully build on that in the coming weeks, ive never wanted the pies to win more!!!
It's nice that the Pies are still pushing for top 4 too so there will be no easing up by them.

Some probing questions here, Turbo.

Henderson has had some good patches of form with us since crossing over from Carlton.
However like %90 of our senior players though, there are question marks over his ability to perform at his best in Finals and against the very best opposition.

Also, he almost plays his key defensive role like a '3rd tall' type - which he essentially was for a while when we still had Lonergan and Taylor.
He backs himself to mark a bit too much - he is very good overhead, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't always play it smart.
He also gets a bit shaky deep in defense, he is definitely a CHB, and not a FB (which, to be fair, the club have played him predominantly at CHB. But whenever he is on the last line of defense I am far from comfortable).

I hope he has an uninterrupted pre-season in 2019 because really he should be a no-questions-asked selection at CHB next year with Taylor waning - but you are right in casting a critical eye over him.

Duncan was great last year, but has definitely dipped in 2018 imo.
You mentioned his last quarter against the Hawks, I actually reckon he's played great last quarters the past few weeks now without contributing a lot beforehand.
His finals record is spotty; maybe a hair better than some on our list but nothing to write home about.
Easily the best kick in our midfield, though, which should not be undersold.

Menzel ... well, he's one of the few smart players on our list with a genuine footy brain, unfortunately his future is extremely cloudy for reasons we all know only too well.

Looking further at the 'middle tier'; maybe Blicavs, Stewart and Tuohy are all in their prime and probably have good footy ahead of them. Bews plays his role well most weeks, not unhappy with him. Stanley possibly saved his AFL career over the past month or so.

Guthrie has stagnated; for mine he's not as bad as some on this board make out, but he is not reaching his potential.
Jake Kolodjashnij takes one step forward in his career and then another backwards - he's regressed to being a very passive player in recent weeks after looking a big improver earlier this season.
Jackson Thurlow shows barely a glimpse of the promise he once displayed.

Sam Menegola is not the answer, to any question. I'd prefer Horlin-Smith, who may lack Menegola's endurance and even his ability to sporadically find the ball, but at least has a footy brain and can execute basic skills with regularity. Both will always be limited players, but I think Horlin-Smith is well aware of those limitations and at least he doesn't actively hurt the team with regularly haphazard disposal.

Gregson, McCarthy and Cockatoo can't get any continuity into their footy, Parsons and Jones don't look up to it. That whole small forward division is a horror show.

Murdoch, Black and Crameri are no more than depth players at best, list cloggers at worst.

That's our middle tier, and they're unlikely to aid the club too deep into September based on exposed form.

Probably good enough to give us a mediocre win against Freo at home though!

Bews Blicavs Stewart
Kolo Henderson Touhy
Duncan J Selwood S Selwood
Menegola Henry Kelly
Menzel Hawkins Narkle
Smith Dangerfield Ablett
Parfitt Murdoch
GHS Thurlow

In : Smith Bews GHS Murdoch Thurlow

Out : O'Connor Stanley Parsons Fogarty Guthrie

Just pick an experienced side, no gifting games to kids

They won't do that until February and he'll be back rd12.
Ha, yeah but don't worry. The club assures us that he escaped serious injury. He needed to be taken into the rooms to have his shoulder put back into place but other than that he's fine! FMD who do they think they're fooling?

Ins and Outs I like to see:
Ins: Bews (if fit), Cunico, Murdoch, Abbott, GHS
Outs: Parsons, Stanley, Fogarty, Guthrie, OConnor

Henry Blicvas Stewart
Tuohy Hendo Bews
Duncan Selwood Kelly
Menz Hawkins Murda
Narkle Danger Parfitt
Abbott Menegola Ablett
SSelwood Cunico Kolo GHS

We must play our best and experienced players for the final 2 games. Don’t stuff around with 1st or 2nd year players who are still developing. These are must win games and we also need to settle our best 22. To be honest I am not 100% confidence about winning the 2 games. Our side is soft and we tend to lose the unexpected ones.

Essential outs - if they don't drop those 2 theMC are gutless, weak, and /or totally incompetent
Totally agree with the names in bold but we all know Scott is gutless, weak and incompetent. Can guarantee he won’t drop Guthrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back