News Eight Tigers make the AA squad- Congratulations to Rance, Martin, Riewoldt and Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

No St Kilda, Essendon, Bulldog or Fremantle player.
No Bontempelli?
How on earth Gresham was overlooked I do not understand.
In a mediocre team, Gresham stands out like a Trump supporter at a Chelsea Manning speaking tour.

Last edited:

Be honest Grimes had alot better year then Rance no doubt.Typical so underated not in our club but outside.
Agreed, Rance has got into a nasty habit this year of punching the ball when he should be marking it. The ball keeps landing in give-me goals for the opposition or our other defenders have to clean it up.

Be honest Grimes had alot better year then Rance no doubt.Typical so underated not in our club but outside.
Honestly we joke about Buddy and Dangerfield being reputational inclusions this year but Rance is also a reputational inclusion.

Love him and congratulations to him but not sure he’s been in all Australian form this year, but not sure any full back has been in All Australian form this year.

Grimes has been our best bloody defender this year, it’s just unfortunate for him that he was up against Laird and Stewart who are high possession rebounding defenders.

Agreed, Rance has got into a nasty habit this year of punching the ball when he should be marking it. The ball keeps landing in give-me goals for the opposition or our other defenders have to clean it up.
I think the Bulldogs played to this on the weekend, lagging a player front and square but some ways in front of the contest expecting the big spoil. Will be interesting if other teams play to this if we continue the approach.

Super happy for Edwards but I was surprised he got in over a couple others. Good reward though for our eventual 300 gamer. Gun.

I'm fine with Gunston over Caddy. Both had brilliant years but Gunston has been on the cusp for years and had more impact around different parts of the ground as well as scores more goals. Gray is a gun also.

Grimes is made up for by Edward's inclusion, but he should of got in. Stewart was fantastic this year, but like with the Gunston scenario above Grimes has been doing it for years.

Lambert and Cotchin were not best 22.

Grimes will never be selected in an All Australian team. Unfortunately for Dylan, being the best one on one defender in the league by some margin just won't cut it.

But he never concedes a goal, I hear you say...not good enough. No, what these selectors want are "defenders" who rarely play on their opponent (if in fact, they have one), and spend most of the game running up the ground chasing kicks.

And Franklin and Dangerfield weren't the only ones who got in on reputation alone. How the f**k did Robbie Gray get a spot ahead of Josh Caddy?! Dangerflog on a flank? Gotta squeeze him in there somehow Gerard. And hey, while we're at it, can we make the two most selfish players in the squad captain and vice-captain? Neither of them are going to be winning a flag anytime soon, so we'd better give them something.

Grimes will never be selected in an All Australian team. Unfortunately for Dylan, being the best one on one defender in the league by some margin just won't cut it.

But he never concedes a goal, I hear you say...not good enough. No, what these selectors want are "defenders" who rarely play on their opponent (if in fact, they have one), and spend most of the game running up the ground chasing kicks.

And Franklin and Dangerfield weren't the only ones who got in on reputation alone. How the f**k did Robbie Gray get a spot ahead of Josh Caddy?! Dangerflog on a flank? Gotta squeeze him in there somehow Gerard. And hey, while we're at it, can we make the two most selfish players in the squad captain and vice-captain? Neither of them are going to be winning a flag anytime soon, so we'd better give them something.
Just cannot understand how Grimes did not make it.Maybe they should look up the definition of the word Defender.Ask each of his opponents how many did they kick on Grimes and then ask the same about Stewart or AnyhowWhitfield.

Totally agree guys.Gun player Rance ,but needs to get back to basics and remember what made him so good,his job to defend first to.Keep it simple.

I was watching him really closely last Saturday. I know he plays a game where he separates from his man and he looks to take the intercept mark, but he was giving waaay too much room to his opponent on Saturday and he got caught out a few times. Out of nowhere, he has started that infuriating habit he had in his early days of going to ground on his knees too.

Not going real bad or anything, but just a bit off for mine this second half of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can understand people being upset Franklin and Dangerfield being C and VC but both were worthy AA players and have been for a long time.

Franklin has more goals, score assists, possessions, tackles and score involvements then Ben Brown and only had less goal assists then Hawkins. He is clearly the best forward in the comp over a long span and probably no.2 to Jack this year.

As for Danger, sure he is a tool but the only player who is in the same ball park as Dusty right now, 4th for score involvements and an unbelievable player.

Both guys were not playing their best footy but they still play at a higher level then those chasing there spots in the side.

People are far to caught up in stats these days. Big numbers are not always a true indication of the affect a player has on the game.
This.

Clearly none of the AA selectors subscribe to this theory.

Honestly we joke about Buddy and Dangerfield being reputational inclusions this year but Rance is also a reputational inclusion.

Love him and congratulations to him but not sure he’s been in all Australian form this year, but not sure any full back has been in All Australian form this year.

Grimes has been our best bloody defender this year, it’s just unfortunate for him that he was up against Laird and Stewart who are high possession rebounding defenders.

No way Rance is no.1 in the comp for intercept possessions by an absolute mile. He has 40 more then Laird and Davis at no.2, that’s the same difference between those two and the 20th ranked player.

Grimes and Astbury have allowed Rance to be even more aggressive with his intercepting. It has hurt his one on one defence a bit but thats understandable given the positioning he takes up to stop a forward thrust as it’s beginning instead of as a last ditch play.

Sheds deserved his selection

People are far to caught up in stats these days. Big numbers are not always a true indication of the affect a player has on the game. Sheds was instrumental in changing the course of a lot of games this year without necessarily getting the high possession rate of others
Some had Sheds as the Norm Smith Medalist last year. I'm wrapped for him that he got selected.
Next year Dylan will have his chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back