Strategy Next senior coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the players, not the coach, are responsible for performances I'd prefer we just avoid having a highly paid coach and put the extra $800k a year into list management staff

Since the players, not the coach, are responsible for performances I'd prefer we just avoid having a highly paid coach and put the extra $800k a year into list management staff

are list management staff included in the footy department spend? I notice longmire has had the luxury of one of the highest spending departments in the league every year.

Strawman alert.

Players AND the coach can be held responsible.

Strawman alert.

Players AND the coach can be held responsible.

Agreed the club a whole is responsible for performance.

The coach in my opinion has more control of the overall direction , not so much on one game, but in the overall scheme of the season in terms of directing strategy, selection and gameplan- he can drop the players who do not comply. A s**t performance in a game is more on the players than the coach as a rule.

If a team plays the same way over and over again the coach is ultimately more to blame than the players in my view, but then of course maybe management is more to blame, as they should deal with a coach who does not perform.

lol .. Kirky as coach

B Krishna, Mohammed, Abraham
HB Jupiter, Aphrodite, Hermes
C Moses, Buddha, Diana
HF St Paul, Dalai Lamington, David
F Achilles, Zeus, Dreamtime
R Easter Island Statue, King Tutt, Athena
I/C Random Faerie, Harry Potter, Gandalf, Jesus
At least that team would play adventurous footy. As opposed to finishing 7th, frightened of their own shadow, and going out in straight sets. Bring it on.
Zero interest in making the finals each year, just to exit lamely. We need to be more ambitious than that.

Last edited:
Longmire is trying to win games by conceding the least amount of points rather than trying to outscore the opponent.

Hence my constant banging on about the 70 pt mark during games.

I pefer Luis Enrique's take on winning competitive team sports.

"If they score four, we'll definitely score six".

Longmire is trying to win games by conceding the least amount of points rather than trying to outscore the opponent.

Hence my constant banging on about the 70 pt mark during games.

I pefer Luis Enrique's take on winning competitive team sports.

"If they score four, we'll definitely score six".
O r as Churchill said - Winston not Clive - "Some generals try to win by not losing."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had equally soft draw last year for 13th.....when the dees win today (ok if) the Paul Roos hand over king in year 2 for new coach will do the rounds...blah, blah, if the players wanted it enough they would get it and if they thought the coach was In The way that would play out with the axe.....current Swans and management happy to make finals and than go home....imo

Buckley was always unfairly maligned anyway he rebuilt the team

He out coached horse big time last year when both teams were fit
You mean he comprehensively out coached him in the game we lost by one point in the season the pies finished 13th and we finished 6th?
Okay then....

Buckley was always unfairly maligned anyway he rebuilt the team

He out coached horse big time last year when both teams were fit

Big time?

Only game they played last year the Pies won by 1 point. Pies outscored us in the first but we won 2nd and 4th quarter and third was dead even.

Missing Heeney, Papley and Rampe at a glance. Had two 18 year olds as well as under 50 games Newman, Aliir, Mills, Marsh, Fox, Foote,
Dawson, Hewett, Naismith

Big time? Nope...

Big time?

Only game they played last year the Pies won by 1 point. Pies outscored us in the first but we won 2nd and 4th quarter and third was dead even.

Missing Heeney, Papley and Rampe at a glance. Had two 18 year olds as well as under 50 games Newman, Aliir, Mills, Marsh, Fox, Foote,
Dawson, Hewett, Naismith

Big time? Nope...

He won with a crap team at the scg

Fair point re our injuries I just remember it was impressive tactically

You mean he comprehensively out coached him in the game we lost by one point in the season the pies finished 13th and we finished 6th?
Okay then....

Yeah I do

The pies talent was s**t and they were the 13th side

We we were one of the best

Yeah I do

The pies talent was s**t and they were the 13th side

We we were one of the best
Well I think we should agree to disagree.
My memory has them pretty close to full strength and us down a couple, but a one point loss is in no-ones language a comprehensive one. I guess it all depends on who's side of the fence you are on - and on the subject of Longmire we are clearly on opposing sides :thumbsu:

Well I think we should agree to disagree.
My memory has them pretty close to full strength and us down a couple, but a one point loss is in no-ones language a comprehensive one. I guess it all depends on who's side of the fence you are on - and on the subject of Longmire we are clearly on opposing sides :thumbsu:

Yep fair enough and I appreciate that and the discussion :)

It doesn’t matter anyway, whoever is right or wether it’s neither of us, we lost that game and it’s well past.
‘All that matters is what we do now

Starts with a good offseason, all good and well for some of us (of which I am one) to be critical of the coach, but if we do not give him the right cattle we cannot expect much.

Then they need to work out how to maximise what we have and focus on the future

Lots of talk about wether horse is the man to coach us to our next flag.

Lots of discussion about his tenure...

If you had to choose our next senior coach who would it be and why? When would you pull the trigger?

Or do you believe in the current crop of coaches?
I think our best option for senior coach just went back to Melbourne. He was innovative, smart and if not constrained by Horse's game plan could have had our team far better placed.

Personally I think Horse has lost the plot and nobody, not even the players, believe we are a serious challenger next year or any other year for that matter.

The AFL. Com season review was spot on in some things but didn't go far enough. I think outdated game plan, stupid tactics that just lose us the ball and the lack of a coordinated midfield game plan is going to kill us next year. My prediction is near bottom. Not because we don't have the players, we do but they are developing, but because Horse can't change.

We need to clean out list cloggers and get some serious play makers into the club. Even if we have to get them from the VFL, Country footy, SANFL, WAFL, TASFL Etc. Recruit and develop kids. I think re-signing Macca, Regie etc was backward thinking. I think they are both wonderful players but we have to develop the list. I don't believe Longmire's is capable of developing a list. As soon as a player is not a standout in his first game he's back to the twos. To develop players you must give them more than one game at AFL level.

John Longmire's is a coach who took over a very good list. We were not exactly struggling. We drafted well and had some top end experience. Some of that top end experience have moved on or/and retired. After 2014, where Horse admitted he had no answers to Clarkson's game plan, I started to have serious doubts about his ability to adapt during games. I also had doubts about his selection criteria and shortsighted decisions in both 2014 & 2016 in playing injured players simply because they were experienced senior players or in the case of Mills an out and out star.

To include in the 22 players who are coming back from more than six weeks on the injury list at the top level is just plain stupid. To create a pecking order such as we have is just plain stupid. It divides your club into two camps the experienced, veteran players and the rest. If young players see Dan Hannaberry getting games without deserving them it sebds the wrong message. ALL PLAYERS NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE SHOULD EARN THEIR SPOT. ASK ADAM GOODES. HE DID NOT WANT TO BE SUB BECAUSE HE BELIEVED HE WAS SUB BECAUSE HIS FORM WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. HE CHOSE TO PLAY RESERVES. GOOD ON HIM.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back