Coaching Staff Sydney Swans Assist Coaching & Recruiting Staff: The Brains Trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Sydney Swan Coaching Staff:

Head Coach: John Longmire Thread for Head Coach can be found here
Executive General Manager Football: Leon Cameron
Dean Cox
Jarrad McVeigh
Mark McVeigh
Ben Matthews

Swans Academy:
Colin O'Riordan (Male Academy)

Last edited:

I can see pros and cons to picking up Dew as an assistant coach.
I imagine that similarly to Don Pyke he'll bring a lot of experience and versatility having been a head coach he'll have a lot of bases covered.
Not sure how he will go coming back under horse after going out on his own, might be a big adjustment.
Whilst he will bring some fresh ideas might we be better off chasing someone from another club with a completely different style to bring in a fresh approach.
He'll have an easy transition back in with some of the older heads at the club who were here before he left.

Mark McVeigh to replace Pyke , Gardner to be replaced by Leon Cameron

Footy boss Charlie Gardiner is stepping down and heading back to Melbourne.

Leon Cameron will take his place as GM of football, while Mark McVeigh will replace Don Pyke as assistant coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not overjoyed with this news - overall Gardiner and Pyke being replaced by Cameron and Spike does not feel like an improvement. I think Cameron will be a really safe if unspectacular pair of hands as GM of footy. Technically he will be Horse's boss - Horse will report to him. But I think his laconic style, excellent experience and good knowledge of our club and the Sydney market make him a really solid choice for the role. Mark McVeigh I'm sure will be fine but it seems like he was our go to after our preferred candidates were not available and only having fairly short notice.

It's also a blow for the Swans Academy where Cameron and McVeigh would have provided some sensational senior leadership. They will be hard to replace with similar quality. Still wouldn't be surprised to see some opportunities for former Swans arising.

13NOV23: Coaching reshuffle at the Swans
Interesting that AFL.com says "Assistant Coaching role" where SEN says "Senior Assistant Coach". The club agrees with AFL.com.
I wonder how Cox feels about all this. Not to mention Macca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back