AFLW 2018 - go you Crow girls!

How excited are you to to follow the AFLW in 2018?

• Maximal anticipation, Can't bloody wait - back-to-back, yeah baby!

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Excited and eager to see the girls defend their title!

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Excited enough to see some footy action

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neutral - likely will watch some games, not bothered if I have other things to do on the day

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Negative Nellie - just can't get any excitement, even if watching girls kicking some balls

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Strongly opposed to AFLW - bring back State of Origin instead..or AFLX..I only want to see men!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Li played every game for Carlton this year. Small mid/forward. Born in Adelaide, played for Adelaide Uni and Norwood and was based at Murray Bridge for work as a paramedic.
I'd say she probably nominated for the Vic draft as Carlton showed most interest in drafting her, took leave from work for the time she had to be based over there and has since returned home and elected to stay.
Good pickup for us heading into 2019 season. I'll miss Ruth, hope she gets all the support she needs and is back with us soon.

Huh... looks like Carlton's AFLW site is out of date then :p Good to hear she played every game!

Welcome back to Adelaide Sophie :)

I like the idea of culling 4 financially underperforming teams (likely Gold Coast, North, St Kilda and Bulldogs) and lengthening the season to play everyone twice. 14 teams, 28 rounds

As for the AFLW, playing every other team once is the absolute minimum a serious league should implement, particularly when there's only 10 teams!

26 rounds unless you play yourself twice. ;)

The AFL needs to get serious if they want the AFLW to be the elite women's league in the country. Trying to squeeze the season into a window where there's no need to bound it is crazy for starters. And using it as their test lab for rule changes puts it along side the JLT series as something not to be taken seriously.

You think there's a challenger to AFLW? Complain all you want, but every player from the state leagues will be sticking their hand up to play. At the moment it's a short course super league that's not designed to cannibalise the existing leagues. It's being rolled out perfectly given the timing constraints. It'll be a while before it's able to be played alongside the other leagues. It'll happen, people need to be patient.

You think there's a challenger to AFLW? Complain all you want, but every player from the state leagues will be sticking their hand up to play. At the moment it's a short course super league that's not designed to cannibalise the existing leagues. It's being rolled out perfectly given the timing constraints. It'll be a while before it's able to be played alongside the other leagues. It'll happen, people need to be patient.

Absolutely there is. There are multiple other sports.

If players can transition from hockey, soccer, netball, basketball and volleyball to AFLW, all it takes is for one of those sports to get their act together better than the AFL (lets face it, they don't set a high benchmark) and there could well be an exodus the other way.

Good to see we can still agree on something. :)

Absolutely there is. There are multiple other sports.

If players can transition from hockey, soccer, netball, basketball and volleyball to AFLW, all it takes is for one of those sports to get their act together better than the AFL (lets face it, they don't set a high benchmark) and there could well be an exodus the other way.
AFLW is a business model, at the end of the day. The AFL doesn't want to spend extra time or money unless it can be confident it will bring more cashflow for them. Those sports you're referring to are non-contact sports, which is a whole different kettle of fish to AFLW, which is full on contact (except for the head). The main issue of concern despite all the promotions and debates. will more parents be encouraging their daughters to play AFLW at grass root level? If so, how long would it take to gain more wider audience and more cash revenue to the AFL?

A lot of BIG "ifs"!

AFLW is a business model, at the end of the day. The AFL doesn't want to spend extra time or money unless it can be confident it will bring more cashflow for them. Those sports you're referring to are non-contact sports, which is a whole different kettle of fish to AFLW, which is full on contact (except for the head)

Women have made the transition from other non-contact sports to the AFL, very successfully. Whether it's Erin Philips coming from basketball, Jenna McCormack from soccer, Georgie Parker from hockey, Ash Brazill from netball, they have made the move to the AFLW. If they can make a move from a non-contact sport to a contact sport, why can't they go th other way. If they AFL don't get it right with the AFLW and another sport does, they lose these athletes, the sport suffers, and their business model sucks.

The main issue of concern despite all the promotions and debates. will more parents be encouraging their daughters to play AFLW at grass root level? If so, how long would it take to gain more wider audience and more cash revenue to the AFL?

I've got anecdotal evidence. It's not much, but I bet there are similar stories.

I've got a 16 year old son. At his club, the junior girls program has grown from 2 teams scrabbling for numbers each week to fielding strong teams at every year level over his junior career, with a significant surge since the AFLW came on to the scene.

I've got an 18 year old daughter. The first T20 we took her to, she had her nose in her Harry Potter book and didn't watch a ball. As soon as the women's teams started getting TV exposure, she got interested - in both the women's and men's competitions. She's also this year captained her school cricket team.

I've also told our AFLW experience a few times, but it bears repeating. We went to the WB v Crows game at the Whitten Oval last season with her best mate, who'd never been to a footy game in her life. By the end of the game, she'd picked a favourite player. The next day, she bought a footy. She's now played school footy. We're probably going to go to the VFL women's grand final tomorrow with another footy debuting friend.

The launch of the AFLW competition has brought new fans to the league - and it has a trickle through effect to the men's league too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Women have made the transition from other non-contact sports to the AFL, very successfully. Whether it's Erin Philips coming from basketball, Jenna McCormack from soccer, Georgie Parker from hockey, Ash Brazill from netball, they have made the move to the AFLW. If they can make a move from a non-contact sport to a contact sport, why can't they go th other way. If they AFL don't get it right with the AFLW and another sport does, they lose these athletes, the sport suffers, and their business model sucks.

I've got anecdotal evidence. It's not much, but I bet there are similar stories.

I've got a 16 year old son. At his club, the junior girls program has grown from 2 teams scrabbling for numbers each week to fielding strong teams at every year level over his junior career, with a significant surge since the AFLW came on to the scene.

I've got an 18 year old daughter. The first T20 we took her to, she had her nose in her Harry Potter book and didn't watch a ball. As soon as the women's teams started getting TV exposure, she got interested - in both the women's and men's competitions. She's also this year captained her school cricket team.

I've also told our AFLW experience a few times, but it bears repeating. We went to the WB v Crows game at the Whitten Oval last season with her best mate, who'd never been to a footy game in her life. By the end of the game, she'd picked a favourite player. The next day, she bought a footy. She's now played school footy. We're probably going to go to the VFL women's grand final tomorrow with another footy debuting friend.

The launch of the AFLW competition has brought new fans to the league - and it has a trickle through effect to the men's league too.
I don't doubt there has been a surge in interests amongst the amateur league and at school level. However, there needs to be a consistent surge and I'm sure the AFL heads are monitoring the level of interests amongst the fans and parents of the girls (who are potential players of the future). Though I think you're looking at it from an eager beaver fan perspective. The reality is that it will take time for the current level of interest to treacle through at elite level.

Think of it like a coach who needs to play it smart to blood his new 18 year old star. If he gives him too much exposure too early, the rookie player might get knocked around and lose confidence early on, whereas blooding him too late, would be a massive waste of potential. There needs to be a balancing act. By similar analogy, the AFL are taking their time to figure out how best to grow the field of AFLW. Can't just rush with overexposure, and expect instant returns (from an AFL financial gain perspective).

and the fact that she isn't very good

was next to useless unless the ball was delivered to her on a platter by her Darebin teammates -
Got to feel kind of sorry for her though, having to go through so much bad publicity and routine blood tests must have taken a toll on her commitment to play at AFLW level.

well there was only a couple of kicks in the clip but if she can bullet a sherrin like she did with the round ball she could be a lethal hit up player in a league where clinical disposal is still lacking for the most part

Li played every game for Carlton this year. Small mid/forward. Born in Adelaide, played for Adelaide Uni and Norwood and was based at Murray Bridge for work as a paramedic.
I'd say she probably nominated for the Vic draft as Carlton showed most interest in drafting her, took leave from work for the time she had to be based over there and has since returned home and elected to stay.
Good pickup for us heading into 2019 season. I'll miss Ruth, hope she gets all the support she needs and is back with us soon.
One of Sophie's sisters lives in Melbourne, so it was an opportunity for her to live over there for a while and spend more time with her family while playing AFLW. The rest of the family is very happy to have her home for this year though and I expect her to be a good contributor for us this year.

If she was at an open combine I wonder why she picked Adelaide or whether Adelaide were the only ones to offer a contract?

Most clubs, bar Freo I believe, had recruiters attend the practice match hit-out they had on Tuesday night at Sandringham.

Only the Western Bulldogs, Adelaide Crows and GWS Giants made presentations to the players during their stay in Melbourne.

As I type this, GWS has recruited one from the program - another Irishwoman - Gaelic footballer Yvonne Bonner.

Back