Review Closer to a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Personal assessment wasn't held solely to the midfield though, as the soothsayers down the road also have a few takes regarding other Eagles players.

Liam Ryan.. oh I'm so glad eagles got him. He's useless as a turd

image.png

[Apart from his intercepting prowess McGovern is a doughboy.. one dimensional and not worth $1m a year. Sonny showed up his weaknesses today with consumate ease.

McGovern would be third in line behind Hamling and A Pearce if he came to us. One trick pony. If the ball hits the ground he’s buggered.

Doughboy.. takes the easy options. Yes he can intercept better than anyone, but that’s where it stops..would you pick him over Hamling? I doubt it.

Jesus christ.

Remember when Carbine Chaos had a beef with Redden for the longest time?

Sorry old mate!
Mate you can find a hundred of my posts over the years writing him off too.

Redden was beyond mediocre for all of 2016 and 2017. Like really s**t.

He was playing dumb roles like tagging (I remember an absolutely traumatic match against Geelong in 2016 where Jetta also failed horribly) and various outside mid/flanker roles.

But the guy simply wouldn’t try and get the footy. Nor would he try and tackle. He’d just stand there and jog after the opposition while they ran off with it.

Something clicked after the first few rounds this year. God knows what happened but luckily for us, it never unclicked.

Redden was the key to our season - the creative, ball winning missing link that changed our fortunes.

I reckon if Redden lost form or got injured this year, no chance in hell we win the flag.

I'd rather drink from a cup than drink through a straw.
giphy.gif

Last but not least, my absolute favourite section without question.

He's a 25 year old key forward who has a season high tally of 18 goals...

An elite presenter and one of the best at bringing it to ground...

Putting in the pre-season work before a monster 10 goal 2018 campaign...

..Come on down, Matt Taberner!

Taberner is a star in the making.

Taberner. What a great showcase of what mental strength can do. Can be anything this guy.

Tabs is primed. This is the year I reckon.

This is a different Tabs, don't know if the penny has dropped, if he's had an epiphany or just natural development

But his effort today had shades of Riewoldt on it, last JLT game wasn't too shabby either

Tabs looking a brute up forward

I really wanna see Tabs and Cam both light it up down forward this season. Both young forwards that I think can prove they can hang with the big dogs.
Looking forward to them embarrassing Doughboy McGovern in the derbies this year.

Tabs has improved his skills,most noticeably got his hands right,body work in contested situations is completely transformed,field kicking,decision making,team work...all the things he's been required to work on have improved massively.
All credit to his hard work and application to the task,we've got a player.

Tabs looks in for a big year.

Last edited:
I was at the MCG on Saturday and watched live as Dom Sheed slotted an impossible goal to hand the Eagles the premiership.

I don't think I love that moment as much as the Fremantle board love Matt Taberner.
So you think the Freo board cried too?

So you think the Freo board cried too?
Every time he crashes a pack and brings it to ground.

Every time another year goes by and his average stays at 1.0 goals per game.

Every time the words 'if only we had Matt Taberner in this side to straighten us up' are uttered.

A single tear falls.

In the spirit of this thread, I think it might be fun to have a look through this one I created on the MB late last year.

Here's a couple highlights:
Fremantle is closer by far.
Jeez I hope we're closer, because West Coast are about as far as you can possibly be.
West Coast haven't realized they need to rebuild yet, we're in the 3rd year of a rebuild.
Fremantle will likely field one of the fastest teams in the competition next year.

B.Hill, S.Hill, Bennell, Walters, Neale, A.Pearce, Wilson, Matera and Grey.

While it’s obvious that Fremantle have a more talented list, I’d say that West Coast has far superior key position players.

If Fremantle has a full list to choose from they could finish in the lower part of the top eight. Especially if Fyfe and Sandilands are both playing near their best.
Redden is currently your 3rd best midfielder /end thread

Here's one from ep2018:
Freo are further into their rebuild so they are closer. We are just starting.

And here's one from a Melbourne supporter who predicted the future:
Neither team and long may it stay that way. I've a soft spot for Freo but both sets of supporters make the Perth bubble insufferable when their teams are doing well. WC take the biscuit with their arrogance and the ignorance of their supporters. Every game the same rubbish booing the umpires even when they're leading the free kick count by 10, that's before we get into their miscomprehension of the rules of the game.

The most annoying thing about them though is their posturing as the quasi state team of WA- the WAFL clubs are the true repositories of heritage in this state's footballing history, not the Eagles franchise. It's a damned shame that competition has shrunk to what it is now, barely a shadow of a shadow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate you can find a hundred of my posts over the years writing him off too.

Redden was beyond mediocre for all of 2016 and 2017. Like really s**t.

He was playing dumb roles like tagging (I remember an absolutely traumatic match against Geelong in 2016 where Jetta also failed horribly) and various outside mid/flanker roles.

But the guy simply wouldn’t try and get the footy. Nor would he try and tackle. He’d just stand there and jog after the opposition while they ran off with it.

Something clicked after the first few rounds this year. God knows what happened but luckily for us, it never unclicked.

Redden was the key to our season - the creative, ball winning missing link that changed our fortunes.

I reckon if Redden lost form or got injured this year, no chance in hell we win the flag.
Not just directed at you mate but so many people wrote off our mids without looking at the whole picture.

The reality was redden and sheed in particular were poor due to a lack of full time opportunity in the middle.

Funny that as soon as redden was given a full time midfield role this year, he flourished. Sheed the same after the gaff suspension, and he too flourished. Yeo played 100% on ball this year and dominated as well.

I said pre season our midfield would be fine as we actually had 4-5 potential A graders, who with the retirements of last year would finally be given full midfield time.

Yeo had the tools to be an A grade mid. Redden was an A grade talent at Brisbane and finally had his first full pre season at WC. Gaff and Shuey we’ve seen their A grade output already. And sheed when given a full time role in the middle had the ability to be an excellent contested goal kicking mid

Our midfield was underrated and they showed us how truly good they could be this finals series.

In the spirit of this thread, I think it might be fun to have a look through this one I created on the MB late last year.

Here's a couple highlights:

Here's one from ep2018:

And here's one from a Melbourne supporter who predicted the future:

Superb.

Bump that thread, soldier.

Oh my. Is it sad that I have been waiting for this thread to come alive all week :$ Well it hasn’t disappointed! Brilliant work all, especially HoneyBadger35, you’ve excelled once again! :D Reading some of the purples comments... They did play well that day sure, but my god, the delirium was off the scale. When will they learn!

Lol, I remember your thread CM9000. An absolute classic. Well done good sir :moustache:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back