List Mgmt. CONFIRMED - Gary Rohan a Cat for pick 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Gary enjoyed moving around the field because it’s a favourite hobby of Scott. If geelong are to improve next year settling players into positions has to happen. Picking up some players like Rohan to play a role will work if they are given a role to do.
What if the role of said recruited versatile player is to be versatile? Some run off HBF, some attacking mid, some FF.. Where would you like him to be stationed? I think it's good that we have players who have played well in multiple spots. He has won games as a KF, but can be a running HBF. He has also played a lot of very average games. It's up to him to make the most of ANY opportunity he is given, wherever that is.

Rohan is one minor accident from the end of his career. Do you not know his history? On top of that Rohan may actually already be at the end of his career. There is a very high chance he might not be good enough to get in our team just like sam blease. Menzel has a far far higher probability of being a contributor then rohan over the next two years. Menzel hasnt done a knee in 5 years. Its ridiculous to still hang that over his head compared to rohan.

That's not a good comparison. Sam Blease was always quick but never learnt to play the game. Rohan is just as quick but has shown good skills from when he was in the Falcons.

I hope Menzel stays at the club but the modern tactic of pressure over skills doesn't suit him.

According to the herald sun Rohan was angry when he was told by Sydney that they wanted to trade him to us.

Yeah I just read that. I was under the impression he asked to be traded back home given his personal circumstances. It turns out he was pushed out by the Swans. At least he was honest about it. I think most of us felt he and his management approached us and asked for a deal. Well maybe they did after Sydney pretty much kicked him out of their club.

I don't think he's happy to be here at all to be honest, his comments are pretty reflective of that. I just hope he's grateful to be here, there was clearly little to no interest in him from other clubs. Lets hope he now has a point to prove.

What if the role of said recruited versatile player is to be versatile? Some run off HBF, some attacking mid, some FF.. Where would you like him to be stationed? I think it's good that we have players who have played well in multiple spots. He has won games as a KF, but can be a running HBF. He has also played a lot of very average games. It's up to him to make the most of ANY opportunity he is given, wherever that is.
It can be a weapon to have 1 or 2 players in the side that can swap positions. But almost our whole team is played that way. I think the play is to unpredictable to the players.
I would play him forward as we have a need there and I think that’s his best position.
He needs to make the most of opportunity but it makes players job harder if their role constantly changes.

Yeah I just read that. I was under the impression he asked to be traded back home given his personal circumstances. It turns out he was pushed out by the Swans. At least he was honest about it. I think most of us felt he and his management approached us and asked for a deal. Well maybe they did after Sydney pretty much kicked him out of their club.

I don't think he's happy to be here at all to be honest, his comments are pretty reflective of that. I just hope he's grateful to be here, there was clearly little to no interest in him from other clubs. Lets hope he now has a point to prove.
It’s a harsh career when you have two parties ( club and players) who are only looking for the best for themselves

We often forget how it can affect either parties when there are different goals. I feel for a Rohan espically after the year he has had

It wouldn’t had been easy for him

If this is the case the we've gained little. In fact, we've probably lost.

Attitude is crucial, so we don't need / want a reluctant recruit

That's not a good comparison. Sam Blease was always quick but never learnt to play the game. Rohan is just as quick but has shown good skills from when he was in the Falcons.

I hope Menzel stays at the club but the modern tactic of pressure over skills doesn't suit him.

Rohan and Menzel can be both player managed on a weekly basis.

It would be a huge risk playing both blokes in the same week as you'll be down to 2 rotations on the bench.

Averages less then 10 touches a game over his career. Less then 0.9 goals a game and only 2.6 tackles. He cant find the ball, he doesnt kick goals and tackling isnt a speciality. But he can run like jordan murdoch,

You can't take his goal average into consideration as he has played in a lot of positions, including in defence and the midfield.

Can't see how this isn't a win. We basically got Krueger and Rohan for Linc.

It's not a win if it means we don't recruit players who can win us a premiership.

There is a reason why a previous poster had to reach for a Rohan "supergoal" (ahem ... really?) highlight from 2011 ...

... a year when we would have considered him worthy of our VFL side and nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a win if it means we don't recruit players who can win us a premiership.

There is a reason why a previous poster had to reach for a Rohan "supergoal" (ahem ... really?) highlight from 2011 ...

... a year when we would have considered him worthy of our VFL side and nothing more.

AFL is all about structure. You have a job to do. You do it. Just because Rohan has low possession numbers means nothing. To get a game he is obviously doing the job asked of him by the coach.

Who is to say that a new environment and coaching philosophy wont free him up to be a better player than he was at the Swans.

Last edited:
If this is the case the we've gained little. In fact, we've probably lost.

Attitude is crucial, so we don't need / want a reluctant recruit

Stringer was a reluctant recruit but after a few teething issues he's doing ok. At the end of the day the pick value lost was virtually zero and the contract is only 2 seasons

Stringer was a reluctant recruit but after a few teething issues he's doing ok. At the end of the day the pick value lost was virtually zero and the contract is only 2 seasons

All true, but we need everyone pulling together if the playing group is to take the next step.

Just one guy dragging his bottom lip can upset the balance, the morale.....

Hopefully Rohan takes the bit between the teeth though, and makes a worthwhile contribution.

I was skeptical about getting him, but he is here now and for cheap - at least by our standards.

After a horror year, the change of scene and return to the bosom of his family (his partner’s too?) might clear his head and get him focused for his final couple of years in the game.

Worst case, it’s a bust and we get nothing from p61 and a mid-level salary
At best this could really add something to our best 22.

I choose to be optimistic at this point in time.

Cheap enough trade that its worth the punt.
I know we said we got him to play forward but for something different I actually wouldn't mind seeing him on the half back line in a Wojo style role and push someone like Touhy forward.
Seems every time Touhy went forward this year he was effective (think last qtr v Melb). Takes a good mark and is deadly with a set shot from anywhere inside 60.
Just a random thought.
Interested to see how Rohan goes either way and welcome him aboard.

All I will say about Rohan is that you should watch him play live before throwing your toys about his possession numbers. Some of the things he has done at Sydney are incredible. He'll crash a pack in the forward 50, then sprint 120m to make a spoil or lay a tackle in defensive 50. On TV you don't see that effort.

Some people whip him for going missing in finals, but there's a direct relationship between Sydney's midfield getting smashed and Rohan "going missing". You might criticise his possession numbers which is fair enough, but forget this year. He had a very tough year off the field, in-game injuries on the field, and was shifted around constantly. He'll never be a possession accumulator. He's a lead up forward - if you play him that way, you'll love him.

He is an impact player and he will shift momentum in games for you. He gives 100% in every contest (sometimes to his detriment), he sticks his tackles, his disposal is very good, he's a true kick for goal, and his pace causes headaches for the opposition.

For pick 61 it's a no brainer.

of course he was pushed out. He couldn't even get a game with the swans this year. Terrible pick up.

Just wanted to leave this here. Sick goal .. on his debut too I think it was, I hope he can fulfil that pre-injury potential at Geelong.

Not quite. He debuted against Geelong, but a year earlier in 2010 (it was the same game where Ablett went nuts in the final quarter).

My recollection of him is doing virtually nothing, then kicking a goal in junk time from the goal square and acting like he'd just won the flag himself. Didn't like him then, don't like him now. But looking forward to 9 possession masterclasses nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back