Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I only hope the best for Hogan. I have not checked the financials but last I read he was after a 8 year deal at 1mill each year.

As a supporter I just don't want to go through the whole will player X stay or go every year, so getting May who has signed for 5 years (a player I have wanted for ages) makes this ok with me.

The game has moved on from key forwards AS long as your team can pass the ball into the inside 50 and the forwards are prepared to work for each other and create space.

I just hope the Freo supporters will be kind to him. The biggest winner of this trade is one Cam McCarthy.

I only hope the best for Hogan. I have not checked the financials but last I read he was after a 8 year deal at 1mill each year.

As a supporter I just don't want to go through the whole will player X stay or go every year, so getting May who has signed for 5 years (a player I have wanted for ages) makes this ok with me.

The game has moved on from key forwards AS long as your team can pass the ball into the inside 50 and the forwards are prepared to work for each other and create space.

I just hope the Freo supporters will be kind to him. The biggest winner of this trade is one Cam McCarthy.

Sad to see Hulk go. Watching him live, kicking goals or taking marks really got the dees crowd going and roaring when we were up and about, it was infectious (and sooky oppo fans would go realllll quiet). All the best Jesse

After reading is Instagram message you can see both the Club and Jesse made the right decision

He wanted to go home just probably not the one asking to go. Club would have felt this and thus the reason they let him go now so they could get something decent in return.

Yes we didn't get the 2 1st Rounders but May, Kolodjashinj, Picks 23 and 28 is pretty decent.

All the best Jesse you could have left a couple years back when your old man passed but stuck at it.

I am positive your heart will always beat true

He kicked 47 goals this year.
Minus all those goals we are still 4th for points for.

Tmac Hannan and Weid kick just 8 more between them an we are outright 2nd

Sad that the rising star of 2015 never reached that level again at Melbourne but delighted we improved our team.

Wow. Genuine love here for the big guy.
I will miss him, i can't blame him for leaving but i always hoped he'd take a leaf out of Pav's book and stay

Could we sticky this thread as tribute?
Nah, Obviously not all posters on the board feel the same way. But i might do something special for Trade Week ending, hang tight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can tell he's a Perth boy through and through. Always has been, always will be.

Hopefully the Fremantle fans posting here aren't heading back to their board to celebrate Peter Bell acting like a w***er and ******* us and Jesse about with his histrionics throughout the trade period, and particularly on Friday.

Could we sticky this thread as tribute?
No thanks. This isn't Troy Broadbridge. He chose to leave us for Freo. Played lots of good footy but was given heaps back by the club.

I’m not mad, I’m disappointed
I'm not mad or disappointed. I'm happy. The vibe with Jesse was never quite right at MFC. He never really bought into it. He always planned to go home. I think the longer he stayed, the less he was going to flourish. So it's really not a big deal to lose him. We got some handy players in. I don't think Jesse was ever as good as the hype. I don't think he will retire as a champion of the game. We got a reasonable deal - unless you think that basing somebody's trade value on hype is a legitimate thing, in which case, we got unders. I look forward to the end of "kick it to grumpy Jesse" so he doesn't get too sad. Now we can just deliver the ball to the best option every time. I don't think we have any sad sacks on our list any more, do we?

I hope we'll be personally happy in WA, but really couldn't GAF whether he plays good football for Freo.

Brothers. I won't miss him. He was never really one of us. As much as I enjoyed his output, I never loved him. He was always a sook, always had half an eye on returning home to WA to play with Ross Balls and Fweo and slip in a surf during the week. His media conferences were always an embarrassment. So thanks Jesse. I hope it works out for you but I suspect that it won't.

Is he really that good though? Or is it just perceived value?
Boyd went for pick 6 and an All Australian player is the only comparable trade I can use.

He was/is worth two first rounders given his output at such a young age.

Whether he turns out to be worth that long term is another story

Boyd went for pick 6 and an All Australian player is the only comparable trade I can use.

He was/is worth two first rounders given his output at such a young age.

Whether he turns out to be worth that long term is another story
Yes, but isn't it possible that Freo just didn't think it was worth it to give up more for him? And isn't it possible that they'd be right?

I don't think comparing this trade to other specific trades is especially helpful. The circumstances are always very unique - and maybe clubs are starting to wise up on overpaying for hyped up players. Maybe this is at the start of not betting the farm on players like Hogan. Let's also not forget that he has a suspect foot, and an injury plagued history in general. Before Boyd was traded to the Bulldogs, I don't recall him having an injury cloud over him, much less the dreaded navicular injury. But Boyd is a good case in point - they paid him a King's ransom, and he played a handful of good games, one of which was a Premiership, but they aren't getting anything out of him now, and he's a million dollar a year player. Maybe Hogan would have attracted a better offer if he'd been playing to the end of the season, but he wasn't. I don't think we can expect much more than what we got. I, for one, have a feeling he's going to have a pretty average career. Some highlights, but not a champion. I doubt he'll ever kick large bags goals.

Also, we should all remember the analysis we did mid season where there was unanimous agreement he was only about the 36th best player in the league under 23,

So looked at it like that, in combination with all the personal stuff, it was a fair deal all round

You can tell he's a Perth boy through and through. Always has been, always will be.

Hopefully the Fremantle fans posting here aren't heading back to their board to celebrate Peter Bell acting like a w***er and ******* us and Jesse about with his histrionics throughout the trade period, and particularly on Friday.
It was always inevitable for him to head home but the events of last year probably advanced that decision by 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back