Player Watch #23: Shane McAdam – traded from Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

You were having the biggest sook last year regarding this. Had he played and not performed you would have had an even bigger sook.

Your unrealistic expectations on a 20 year old young key forward in a finals series up against a seasoned campaigner who's been in the AFL system for 8 years now and delivered very little to date. JVR has already performed far more great to the MFC in one year then Smith has had in 8 years. The fact that you're saying his performance was trash speaks more volume on you and your inability to judge a players performance.

If you really want to talk about having trash finals games then why don't you point the finer at your love child in Clayton Oliver who had one of the all time worst finals performances against Collingwood. Time and time after again he continued to cough up the footy directly to Collingwood players with his ridiculous dump kicks. This was reviewed hard on On The Couch on Monday night who were scathing of his performance as a so called senior player.
One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a decade. SO JVR and TMmac played better than Oliver vs the pies with 6 and 7 touches? LOL!

All time worst finals performances ? What on earth are you talking about. You talk about me having 'unrealistic expectations' and then in the same post criticise Oliver who missed 10 weeks of footy. Do you realise how silly that sounds. Oliver had 10 tackles in that game? 10? the next best at melbourne was 5. DOUBLE. He had the most clearances on the entire ground. 74% disposal efficiency, the 7th best efficiency for the dees, a game high metres gained and 5 clangers which is about average for him. All whilst winning his possessions in the contest.

So when you say time and time again. you mean 5 of his 31 touches? Embarrassing stuff. Do your research before posting. And don't say stats are stats. These stats show that you're talking nonsense.

Last edited:
You are imagining a position Danster has never taken. He is a huge JVR supporter.

Is he? Why? Coz he has him as his avatar?

He was saying he can't play KPF last offseason, now hes giving the kid a drive by for not standing up in finals as well as Smith.

Doesn't exactly sound like a huge supporter.

we're not. what I'm saying is he was our best forward in the most important match of the year. I would say he had a great finals series. Finals form is worth so much more than home and away. He stood up much more than JVR did who was like a deer in the headlights.

No idea why you can't separate off field from on field. It's like saying Oliver is no good due to his off field antics and having a complete inability to acknowledge what he's done on field.

Yes, Smith is fringe. I'm not saying he isn't. But this Fringe player actually stood up when it counted. When Fritsch and Pickett were spraying the ball and JVR was nowhere to be seen, Smith actually contributed. That's what should be acknowledged regardless of his off field choices.
By your logic Smith would be a better forward than Curnow.

I won't seperate off-field in this case because he literally failed to meet a basic requirement of his job and has compromised his next season as a result, embarrassing himself and the club. ASADA process that test a few weeks earlier and he isn't even playing in the final you're lauding him for.

Seperating my own opinion from it, it seems pretty clear he's in a lot of trouble with the club as well and will struggle to find his way back into the side.

Is he? Why? Coz he has him as his avatar?

He was saying he can't play KPF last offseason, now hes giving the kid a drive by for not standing up in finals as well as Smith.

Doesn't exactly sound like a huge supporter.

do you only ever come on here to quarrel?

Who knew that commending Joel Smith for having a good finals series and acknowledging that JVR player poorly would be such a controversial opinion!

do you only ever come on here to quarrel?

Who knew that commending Joel Smith for having a good finals series and acknowledging that JVR player poorly would be such a controversial opinion!

I just don't get someone highlighting JVR not performing to their expectations in his first final series as a 20 year old KPF with the coach and midfield doing him no favours. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Certainly not what I'd expect from a "huge supporter"

One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a decade. SO JVR and TMmac played better than Oliver vs the pies with 6 and 7 touches? LOL!

All time worst finals performances ? What on earth are you talking about. You talk about me having 'unrealistic expectations' and then in the same post criticise Oliver who missed 10 weeks of footy. Do you realise how silly that sounds. Oliver had 10 tackles in that game? 10? the next best at melbourne was 5. DOUBLE. He had the most clearances on the entire ground. 74% disposal efficiency, the 7th best efficiency for the dees, a game high metres gained and 5 clangers which is about average for him. All whilst winning his possessions in the contest.

So when you say time and time again. you mean 5 of his 31 touches? Embarrassing stuff. Do your research before posting. And don't say stats are stats. These stats show that you're talking nonsense.
Haha see not did not once say JVR had a better finals series game. You've now gone on these complete ramble that makes zero sense because you've failed to grasp the point I was making in terms of expectations of a 20 year old kid in his first year of AFL action against a seasoned player who was poor on the night.

You've then thrown up the most useless of stats to justify your argument. Go back, watch the game on face value and then judge his game.

Haha see not did not once say JVR had a better finals series game. You've now gone on these complete ramble that makes zero sense because you've failed to grasp the point I was making in terms of expectations of a 20 year old kid in his first year of AFL action against a seasoned player who was poor on the night.

You've then thrown up the most useless of stats to justify your argument. Go back, watch the game on face value and then judge his game.
Yes you did. You said Oliver's finals series was one of the worst in history. Fair to say if it was one of the worst in history then guys that played in the same game must have all been better.

I watched the game. I thought Oliver was very good. One of our best on the night.

By Dansters logic then Sam Weideman is Wayne Carey based on that one particular finals game..
If you're using Weideman as an example, it's equivalent to me saying Weideman played well and you saying 'he played no a s##t game'. Like I said, I'm still waiting for you to show me where I ruled out JVR's career. Let me know when you find that mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you did. You said Oliver's finals series was one of the worst in history. Fair to say if it was one of the worst in history then guys that played in the same game must have all been better.

I watched the game. I thought Oliver was very good. One of our best on the night.
Nup, see you're getting all this wrong again. I mentioned his performance against Collingwood. He was tad better against Carlton, not great but better.

If you're using Weideman as an example, it's equivalent to me saying Weideman played well and you saying 'he played no a s##t game'. Like I said, I'm still waiting for you to show me where I ruled out JVR's career. Let me know when you find that mate.
No, I'm using your logic that having a good finals series means that alone puts their overall career performance ahead of others immediately which is simply wrong.
JVR is a much better player then Joel Smith at every asset of the game. JVR will be a 200 game players and someone that will a noted goal kicker at AFL level in due time.

Smith has had 8 years in the AFL system and is yet to play 50 AFL games due to inconsistency and having a body made out tissues. He's 28 years of age so yes there should be a level of expectation that a senior player will play better games then the much younger players.

Just because he played better on the night doesn't justify you having a negative view on JVR's performance even though he's a young key forward in his first year of AFL level.

Nup, see you're getting all this wrong again. I mentioned his performance against Collingwood. He was tad better against Carlton, not great but better.

No, I'm using your logic that having a good finals series means that alone puts their overall career performance ahead of others immediately which is simply wrong.
JVR is a much better player then Joel Smith at every asset of the game. JVR will be a 200 game players and someone that will a noted goal kicker at AFL level in due time.

Smith has had 8 years in the AFL system and is yet to play 50 AFL games due to inconsistency and having a body made out tissues. He's 28 years of age so yes there should be a level of expectation that a senior player will play better games then the much younger players.

Just because he played better on the night doesn't justify you having a negative view on JVR's performance even though he's a young key forward in his first year of AFL level.
huh? you said Oliver's game (against Collingwood) was one of the worst in history.

In that same game Van Rooyen had 6 possessions, Tom Mcdonald 7 possessions, Kade Chandler 11 touches (55% disposal efficiency), Langdon, Salem, Viney, Sparrow, Pickett, Hunter all underwhelming. So how can Olivers game be one of the worst in all time if about 20 other players in the same team were worse.

For the 4th time, I'm waiting for you to show me where I said JVR's career was over. Stop avoiding this question and show me where I said this.

Dude, there's no negative view on JVR's performance. He played like trash. Do you disagree? You think he played well? Obviously he played better than Oliver's 31 possession at good efficiency, 11 clearance, 10 tackle monster game which was one of the worst in all time.

Imagine saying it was one of the worst games in afl history, only to be named 3rd best player on the night. embarrassing by you.

You give excuses for JVR being young but don't give excuses for Oliver missing 10 weeks :) Double standards. Oliver's performance was extremely good.

Checks in on the thread

Me: Boy the Shane McAdam lad must be doing some pretty good training or has done something stupid to get all these replies

Reads the new replies

Me: Oh, threads a s**t fight now gotcha

For the 37th time, where did I put a line through JVR's career?

Yes JVR is young, yes he is key position, yes he has flaws in his game, yes he was playing a good team in Collingwood. Which is why its not too surprising why he played like trash. But you can't say Oliver's game was one of the worst in history and not be held accountable. By saying that, you're saying that JVR, Tom Mcdonald were better which is crazy talk. Own your mistake.

Last edited:
We must have a pretty impressive indigenous program. McAdam must be about the 30th indigenous player to be on our list. I'd be surprised if any other Melbourne based club has had that many on their list over time. Pretty impressive. We've had some very talented indigenous players on our list. Hopefully we can get a few really good seasons out of this guy.

The South African 4 time open champion with the hook putting stroke?

Now that’s a *in bolter…

Locke was a beast

Bobby Locke made his NBL debut with the Geelong Supercats at 24 years of age. He scored 50 points in his first game.

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 7.17.36 am.png

Checks in on the thread

Me: Boy the Shane McAdam lad must be doing some pretty good training or has done something stupid to get all these replies

Reads the new replies

Me: Oh, threads a s**t fight now gotcha

You say s**t fight, I say Joel Smith fanpage.

Ray Borner has enormous mitts. Shaking his hand is a horrifying experience. Would have marked everything Stewie Lowe style.
Haha nothing more immasculating than shaking a blokes hand who's way bigger than yours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back