Preview Changes/Preview – Round 23 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ain't the Norf board champ. We don't have to eat our own.

Fully expecting Laurie to do his best JJ impersonation and be either invisible or embarrassingly conspicuous. But at least we'll know for sure.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah don't understand the negativity around the Laurie selection.

Some have been wanting changes such as Jordon and Harmes and as soon as we bring someone in that's fresh and off the grid then it's still not good enough lol..

Not expecting much from Laurie, but * it's good to see a fresh change up for once.

Yeah don't understand the negativity around the Laurie selection.

Some have been wanting changes such as Jordon and Harmes and as soon as we bring someone in that's fresh and off the grid then it's still not good enough lol..

Not expecting much from Laurie, but * it's good to see a fresh change up for once.
This.

Laurie isn't going to be the difference between winning or losing a flag. Our bottom 2 or 3 spots is just a revolving door of average to ordinary. Laurie won't do anymore or less than Jordon or Harmes, but both those guys have had their shot.

The best we can hope for is a Chandler like improvement. I do like that Laurie looks to be a better kick than Jordon and Harmes. If he plays high half forward, then a dozen touches could be much more beneficial to the side than 22 useless possessions from Harmes.

This ain't the Norf board champ. We don't have to eat our own.

Fully expecting Laurie to do his best JJ impersonation and be either invisible or embarrassingly conspicuous. But at least we'll know for sure.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The knock on Laurie is that he's a good user but struggles to find it, a bit like Taj. Jordon finds it easily but can't kick. Same as Harmes.

The knock on Laurie is that he's a good user but struggles to find it, a bit like Taj. Jordon finds it easily but can't kick. Same as Harmes.
Laurie has found it plenty when played onball this year in the VFL. He does do a bit of the one-two handball the receive which inflates the numbers.

When they play him exclusively on the forward flank he does have some Spargo AFL level like anonymous games.

I’d be staggered if he gets significant onball time against the Hawks so he’s likely to have a pretty anonymous game.

Laurie has found it plenty when played onball this year in the VFL. He does do a bit of the one-two handball the receive which inflates the numbers.

When they play him exclusively on the forward flank he does have some Spargo AFL level like anonymous games.

I’d be staggered if he gets significant onball time against the Hawks so he’s likely to have a pretty anonymous game.

You are far too nuanced and insightful for this platform.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just to be clear, I'm referring to his limited time at AFL level. At VFL level, which I know you watch a lot of, he's a comfortable 20 and 1 player in midfield or 12 and 2/3 up forward.

Did not expect to log in today and see three pages of that pelican saying Bill Laurie is being lauded as the next GAJ because some of us want to see him play another game or two before deciding if he should be delisted (when he is contracted for another year).

Lampers with brilliant analysis to justify the selection, including being unsure of whether he is capable of the step up - but having at least earnt it.
Getting sledged by the most vanilla campaigner on this board 👍

Sums you up only joining in once you've read everyone else's opinion first 😂

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I'm referring to his limited time at AFL level. At VFL level, which I know you watch a lot of, he's a comfortable 20 and 1 player in midfield or 12 and 2/3 up forward.
Fair enough.

Laurie’s had two AFL games. His first he played 47% of the eventual game time and was subbed out. The second he was the sub and he came on and played 9% of the eventual game time.

So he’s only played the equivalent of 56% of one game in aggregate. He had 8 disposals, 2 score involvement and 4 pressure acts in that time. Extrapolate that out to 75% of a game and it’s 10-11 touches, 3 score involvement and 5-6 pressure acts.

Not great but not horrendous for a half forward flanker. It’s remarkably similar to what Bedford and Chandler produced per minute of game time early on. Laurie has been very low for pressure compared to what Bedford, Chandler, Spargo and Pickett usually produce though which is a bit of a concern. I don’t think the coaches will tolerate a low pressure high half forward unless he’s kicking goals.

The eye test for mine was Laurie looked far off the pace in his debut against the Bulldogs. That’s pretty common for a player on debut.

The sample size is so incredibly small at this point though.

He is a first round draft pick that has been on the list for 3 years. Had no major injury concerns and never done a bicep curl.

If he hasn't been able to get a regular game by now then he is not going to make it. He couldn't even get a look in when DJ Shitboy was concussed and Chandler was sucking.

Woey Jr has already gone past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back