Universal Love The Kelly Gang

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh just worked out how to do it.
Actually feel sorry for her. Not sure why they wouldn't go to Freo though.

Apparently Kelly met with Ross Lyon sometime prior to being drafted and was told by Ross that he would never make an AFL footballer (or something to that effect). Hence Kelly wants no association with Lyon and thus Freo. Hence Freo not being a trade option, at least while Ross is there.

I think this is a crap post and should be deleted......should be about football not picking on family saying wrong or right things....people should be better than this
You are free not to contribute to the thread as a form of protest.
Keep in mind, this is not your safe space

I think this is a crap post and should be deleted......should be about football not picking on family saying wrong or right things....people should be better than this
There is nothing wrong with the intent behind this post. Notice it is tagged 'Universal Love' for a reason. Some people have greater patience, empathy and understanding. Others have the right to also express their opinion.

You might try becoming a positive voice in this thread, if it concerns you so much. If that doesn't work for you, the intelligent way out is to avoid reading the thread.

Last edited:
Apparently Kelly met with Ross Lyon sometime prior to being drafted and was told by Ross that he would never make an AFL footballer (or something to that effect). Hence Kelly wants no association with Lyon and thus Freo. Hence Freo not being a trade option, at least while Ross is there.
Certainly sounds like Ross Lyon behaviour
Meeting with someone just to let them know they don’t rate them.
#campaigner

Not sure Geelong got this one right, it's a big risk if you are actively trying to resign someone from this train wreck have fun with that one. Brain needs to work behind closed doors GFC need to as well, too much has been leaked to the media by both club, player & player managers.

Understand the premise of holding him and also the value at trade table argument. Honestly regardless of what I have heard 20,22 & pick 40 odd wasn't a bad deal.

Yes you get 11 off freo but something goes back the other way was well with Tim.

I see these scenarios a fair bit in other codes clubs to resign players who are contracted and want to leave. I do not see this one being beneficial at all unfortunately just too many character issues from friends, family, managers so many statements.

A lot of fuss over a player that might not be that great as well. Should of released him in my eyes, does not want to be at the club let him go. His result and motivation will mirror his off season attitude is my bet. Will play for himself not geelong for his own pay packet next season. He is nowhere near a professional like dangerfield

Wish they opened up the pick swaps to include players so we could trade him then

Certainly sounds like Ross Lyon behaviour
Meeting with someone just to let them know they don’t rate them.
#campaigner
He has something in common with the mrs then. Campaigners

I suggest that this thread wil remain open only as long as the comments in it remain above the level of abuse and gutter discussion.

All opinions are fine but keep the adjectival expanses under control.
Go Catters
Thanks Daz. Was hoping we could all eventually move forward and concentrate more on the positives. Given the situation I understand the ire, but we can't not mention Tim forever. People need to chill a little.

Tough situation.

Lots of people have played their hands poorly. Sadly, some think Geelong are the evil ones in all this. You're not... not that you need vindication.

1) Kelly nominates for the draft. You do that knowing it's the AFL not the EAGLESFL.
2) Kelly dominates, perspectives change and doors open. Good for him... but don't forget you're contracted for 2 years and at the end of the day that's where the story should end... obviously it doesn't.

3) Freo - Can I just say yeah we may have a toxic culture and yeah this and that... but the Kelly family is EAGLES through and through. That's the actual sticking point that really needs to be made clear, regardless of any other innuendo people think. We can sniff around all we like... at the end of the day he had a choice between family and Geelong. He choose Geelong... so again the story should end there.

4) Kelly's manager - In terms of 'managing' his client, he played his hand terribly. He placed his hand down on the table face up. Amatuer move... to then take a shot at Freo in the process? Well it was as unprofessional a move as one could make. He thought he was being powerful. It was a pathetic move that gave Freo and Geelong all the power. Freo could've offered the number 1 pick knowing full well Kelly wasn't moving. Freo played their hand and called out his 'desperation' to go home. It may have seemed like nothing but Freo basically said 'I raise your face up hand and bet my house'. Kelly's manager had no play here. He had to fold. Truth is we were holding a busted flush.

5) Demands - It was made clear. Eagles IMO made an assumption they could bundle turd. They were wrong and only have themselves to blame. If they wanted a pick inside 10 desperately enough they'd have found it. Talks only 'break down' at the end when you've started to realise Geelong wasn't bluffing. There's no way this deal shouldn't have gone down IF Eagles played ball. There's no way there should have been a scramble at the end. ALL EAGLES fault.

6) Now the family - Why make the comments made when you're still at the club for 2019? It's distasteful and not required. They're clearly burned by the fact Kelly will be on a 2nd year player's wage instead of $500,000 a year OR MORE. I don't like the term suck it up... but it's not far from it.

Where to? It's clear he will leave in 12 months barring an unforeseen monumental shift in thinking.

If I was Geelong? I'd sit him in the VFL and let him waste away. I'd let him walk into the PSD by not accepting anything more than 3 x overs despite him playing in the VFL. I'd be spiteful. I'd let another club like Freo pick him up for peanuts and laugh. I'd hope that the rumoured 5 year $3 million dollar contract is MASSIVELY reduced and Kelly learns a life lesson.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you!

If that is why then it's a pissweak excuse.

The family is obviously shattered, and Tim’s wife clearly wants to be back in Perth so I don’t think anything Geelong try to do to help them will have an effect.

2019 could be a balls up with how Kelly plays.

It will be fine Tim wise. This year is his biggest contract so he needs to play well the WA clubs have overlooked him so many times that if he has a bad year they may ignore him and trade in other targets, neither WA club needs him as much as he needs them. So if the partner moves back and he has a bad year he could well end up out of the AFL system in 2020 strange as it sounds. So he will play really well in 2019 I believe because he has every reason to and everything to lose.

How the club manages the PR will be interesting though if Caitlin keeps sounding off on social media and I bet the WAGS meetings will be interesting. But that won't affect the onfield stuff at all IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club needs to get on top of this quickly. Not a good look. Scott should be on first plane to Perth.

It's really not Scott's job though this is where the player welfare staff need to come into their own.

They could've avoided the scrutiny by not talking to the HS in the first place. They deliberately chose to do so. They sought the attention.

And if the family situation is so urgent why was a sporting club put above it? Keep their options open with Freo and they'd already be back in WA.

A game is being played.
You cam imagine how it was sold to them, though. A chance to garner compassion, show that it wasn't about the GFC, talk about how hard it can be as a trailing stay at home spouse etc. One or two gotcha questions later, the paper has their soundbite

Since when is an AFL football club different to any other workplace Caitlin?

She gets to utilise the club doctor but that's not enough? The club should provide her with full coverage for all services too? What other workplace in the Nation would entertain this? There are thousands of men who travel around Australia for work, suffering similar challenges... making less money.

What was Kelly making in the WAFL along with whatever his day job was? Combined, less than half of his wage for this season probably.

Seems that Tim was relatively happy in Geelong, judging by his performances for the club and from what I've heard. If the situation was so awful, the Goldilocks 'I'll only go to West Coast' attitude doesn't really make sense.

"I want everyone to realise that behind every footballer is a wife/partner and family sometimes one that’s in a dark place,” she said"

.... tears in my eyes right now.
A major difference of a football club to a regular workplace is that in the regular world if you get multiple job offers it's not mandatory to go to the workplace that offered you a job first.
He makes 120,000 a year. Have you ever worked with a poor electrician?
I don't see what the problem is. Anyone's missus would bitch about the same things & he's gonna front up next year and play well.

For me this smacks of management again. "Do the interview, we'll be the victims and force GFC to let us go or give us free plane tickets, etc..." Forgive the pun, but getting all catty at the club is not going to benefit the family one bit. If the club stoop down to this level of media sniping they will lose a lot of well-earned respect. I think the club should just keep on doing what it has been doing. Just choose to ignore it.
Someone wondered how the HS could publish an article so one-sidedly unbalanced. ROFLMAO! They are clearly trying to start an all-skate sniping click war.
I have made the assumption that the interview took place before the end of trade period and then publish afterward. (I refuse to reward shit media with clicks, especially clicks made in outrage) IF the interview was done Thurs or Fri, then good manners training from MY family kicks in.

You are possibly quite right, and I agree somewhat with the sentiments of your post.

BUT...... They've chosen to stand by their manager when they should've realised he was inept and cut ties immediately he displayed his incompetence. In not doing so they too are demonstrating a lack of understanding re: the bigger picture and their own incompetence.

You cam imagine how it was sold to them, though. A chance to garner compassion, show that it wasn't about the GFC, talk about how hard it can be as a trailing stay at home spouse etc. One or two gotcha questions later, the paper has their soundbite

They're clearly out of their depth

If that is why then it's a pissweak excuse.

I’ve heard that excuse too. Did it happen? Maybe but probably not.

For the last time Kelly is an Eagles supporter... staunch. His whole family and extended are. If WA you’re usually one or the other.

Even if Ross said what’s been rumoured who gives a stuff. I mean seriously they’re professional athletes.

A major difference of a football club to a regular workplace is that in the regular world if you get multiple job offers it's not mandatory to go to the workplace that offered you a job first.
He makes 120,000 a year. Have you ever worked with a poor electrician?
I don't see what the problem is. Anyone's missus would bitch about the same things & he's gonna front up next year and play well.
Lol. Get some perspective.....last time I checked $120k is a decent wage

There are genuine battlers in this country that would love to be in the Kelly’s position

Really dissapointing to see the article in today’s HS with Kelly’s wife criticising the club. They were given an option to get back to WA and they turned it down, the trade with WC not going through is one thing but to talk to the media badmouthing Geelong smacks of biting the hand that feeds you.
Well done to the Cats for not caving. Any sympathy I had for Kelly and his family has dried up.

Really dissapointing to see the article in today’s HS with Kelly’s wife criticising the club. They were given an option to get back to WA and they turned it down, the trade with WC not going through is one thing but to talk to the media badmouthing Geelong smacks of biting the hand that feeds you.
Well done to the Cats for not caving. Any sympathy I had for Kelly and his family has dried up.

Quoting this to laugh at a brilliant user name.
I doth tip my hat, sir.

You are possibly quite right, and I agree somewhat with the sentiments of your post.

BUT...... They've chosen to stand by their manager when they should've realised he was inept and cut ties immediately he displayed his incompetence. In not doing so they too are demonstrating a lack of understanding re: the bigger picture and their own incompetence.

Yeah this is the part I find hard to understand, why? Their SFreo connection can't be that strong, or does Tim(if he's driving the bus) simply not trust any of the big league agents. Hard to figure out. I think Tim could do an interview with a competent interviewer and tell his side as honestly as possible(without throwing any kin under the bus). Would be a tough one to pull off, but just let everyone know in down home terms why he didn't want Freo over bringing family back, etc. He probably wants his footy to do the talking, but he may have to step up if this thing escalates further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back