A-LEAGUE 2018/19 SEASON-Round Two (Now with less Bolt)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like football. I like the A-League despite the fact that it is middling-quality football.

But in situations like this, all I can do is laugh. What a joke.

In all my time watching the A-League, this is probably as farcical as I have seen it.

And I was there when the Heart's superstar international signing Rutger Worm danced his own ball out of play in their first ever A-League match.

Last edited:
Another A-League match, another post match discussion dominated by controversey surrounding the VAR.

The VAR itself is fine if used properly. Unfortunately the clowns who operate it and rely on it to make a decision are making it seem bad. It's only as good as the people who operate it. The VAR would have been intended to look back on shocker decisions and reverse them. Yet instead it is elevating wrong decisions (eg Fornaroli) and reversing very very minor issues (eg the Sydney derby).

The ref in the Melbourne derby, was he even looking to see if it was a foul in the first place or was he just looking to see if the foul he thought was committed happened in the box? And Beath, honestly how can he say with any conviction that the offside player affected the play? That is as dubious as I have ever seen it.

IMO take the VAR decision out of the refs hands. Clearly the refs in this league, based on the first two rounds, have NFI. If it is referred by VAR, let the people in the VAR box decide. Make it a panel of 5, a majority of three out of 5 have the final say. In our legal system if you're appealing a court decision, it is by a different judge so you have a different set of eyes looking at it, and not only that, it's usually by more than one judge. Any appeal to the full court of the high court has all 7 high court judges. Make it the same with the VAR, different set of eyes, more than one person making the decision. The VAR should only be asking the ref for a review in clearly wrong decisions, eg the Finkler goal against City a few years ago which was not called a goal because the linesman was blinded yet everyone could see on the big screen that the ball was clearly over the line or in dive situations where the defender has barely made contact and the diver is being theatrical in his fall. All the 50/50s or grey areas should be for the ref to decide and if he's unsure, then he can ask the VAR to review. Not sure if my idea would work any better than what we're seeing now but nothing can be worse than what we're seeing now.

Another A-League match, another post match discussion dominated by controversey surrounding the VAR.

The VAR itself is fine if used properly. Unfortunately the clowns who operate it and rely on it to make a decision are making it seem bad. It's only as good as the people who operate it. The VAR would have been intended to look back on shocker decisions and reverse them. Yet instead it is elevating wrong decisions (eg Fornaroli) and reversing very very minor issues (eg the Sydney derby).

The ref in the Melbourne derby, was he even looking to see if it was a foul in the first place or was he just looking to see if the foul he thought was committed happened in the box? And Beath, honestly how can he say with any conviction that the offside player affected the play? That is as dubious as I have ever seen it.

IMO take the VAR decision out of the refs hands. Clearly the refs in this league, based on the first two rounds, have NFI. If it is referred by VAR, let the people in the VAR box decide. Make it a panel of 5, a majority of three out of 5 have the final say. In our legal system if you're appealing a court decision, it is by a different judge so you have a different set of eyes looking at it, and not only that, it's usually by more than one judge. Any appeal to the full court of the high court has all 7 high court judges. Make it the same with the VAR, different set of eyes, more than one person making the decision. The VAR should only be asking the ref for a review in clearly wrong decisions, eg the Finkler goal against City a few years ago which was not called a goal because the linesman was blinded yet everyone could see on the big screen that the ball was clearly over the line or in dive situations where the defender has barely made contact and the diver is being theatrical in his fall. All the 50/50s or grey areas should be for the ref to decide and if he's unsure, then he can ask the VAR to review. Not sure if my idea would work any better than what we're seeing now but nothing can be worse than what we're seeing now.

Pretty much echos my thoughts on a “common sense” approach and the game improves by weeding out ref blunders.
Anything 50/50 can be down to the interpretations of the refs and linesman on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get in kentys!

69448.jpg

I've seen enough to think we will win the league (Injuries permitting) even after 2 losses.

We ain't as good as we think we are! we're to open defensively. I'm not liking this new game plan its to kamikaze when we don't have the ball all teams have to do is sit back counter and pounce like Perth did especially with an idiot like Corey Brown in the team!

having said that I can see us still finishing fourth or fifth and winning three matches!!

Why does our league still only permit five subs? Has to be seven next year, it’s just ridiculous

Someone sent in that question on the Fox Sports Football Podcast last week and they said the only reason they could think of is that it is a money issue.

Interesting to see the AFL's Round 9 flexi weekend to cater for the A-League grand final. Reckon it's good-will, or just contract obligations? Remember a few years back Freo and Doggies wouldn't move from Etihad and it caused a stink

Remove this Banner Ad

Back