AFL TAB Refuse to Pay out $150k pay-out to Maths Wiz Uni Student who out-smarted their system

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical of betting agency promotions, put your money in, win too much you're gone

Presumably there's a $150k cap for these bets, seems odd that he only put $36 on it and not $100.

Interesting to see how that plays out.

The problem I see with this is TAB first declaring this bet as "Nil Pay".

At the absolute very least, when cashing in the ticket, he should have received an offer of $1,152. This is the sum of his $36 bet at the combined odds of $32 for Slater and Martin to win the Grand Final BOG Medals.

Not only did they fail to pay him the $1,152, but they also refused to refund him his $36 stake. That's completely shady.

Had this happened to me, and they paid me the $1,152 to begin with, I would have considered that to be fair and reasonable because I knew I was getting over the odds to expect a $147k payout.

The fact the ticket said "nil pay", I don't blame the guy for fighting for this.

The TAB's next offer was exactly four times the amount of what the payout was supposed to be ($4,608).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The fact the article mentions that he is a Maths whiz and a regular multi bet punter will probably work against him. The reason for this is to do with TAB's terms and conditions, where they reserve the right to void any bets should an obvious error be made, which the customer ought to have known was an obvious error.

Fair to say he would have known the bet he was placing offered him significantly over the top odds.

Should have taken the 5k. He wont get a cent in any official ruling

Clearly this is against all bookmaker T&Cs and rightly so. The fact you were able to place it through some system error doesnt mean s**t

A few years ago if they stuffed up a market and someone got a bet on before TAB realised and took it down then they would still honour the bet that was placed.

So if a trader was supposed to put a horse up at $2 and misplaced the decimal point and put it up at $20 and someone backed it at $20 before TAB realised the error and took it down they would still pay out at $20 if it won.

Now I wouldn't think that they did that out of the goodness of their heart.

The NT bookies would have clause after clause to get out of something like this but their T&Cs were written in the digital age.

TABs regulations under the Victorian government were probably written well before betting became computerised.

That would be this guys only hope.

I would have just taken the $5k too as Tabcorp are going to have better lawyerz than the Uni student...

A few years ago if they stuffed up a market and someone got a bet on before TAB realised and took it down then they would still honour the bet that was placed.

So if a trader was supposed to put a horse up at $2 and misplaced the decimal point and put it up at $20 and someone backed it at $20 before TAB realised the error and took it down they would still pay out at $20 if it won.

Now I wouldn't think that they did that out of the goodness of their heart.

The NT bookies would have clause after clause to get out of something like this but their T&Cs were written in the digital age.

TABs regulations under the Victorian government were probably written well before betting became computerised.

That would be this guys only hope.

I would have just taken the $5k too as Tabcorp are going to have better lawyerz than the Uni student...

Nope that never would have been paid out in past years. Maybe small bets to favour goodwill but they never would have paid out a 150k win on an obvious error

Nope that never would have been paid out in past years. Maybe small bets to favour goodwill but they never would have paid out a 150k win on an obvious error

Obviously they'd never have paid out $150k before as if you are putting that much on a horse it would have triggered limits when the bet was placed and the trader would have declined it as an over limit and then updated the odds to the correct amount.

It was 100% their policy to pay out on errors though as I posted above.

This one is different because it is a contingent bet but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the TAB are operating from T&Cs from the dark ages.

Only have to look at the interactive gaming laws etc to see how messed up regulations haven't kept up with the times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see how that plays out.

The problem I see with this is TAB first declaring this bet as "Nil Pay".

At the absolute very least, when cashing in the ticket, he should have received an offer of $1,152. This is the sum of his $36 bet at the combined odds of $32 for Slater and Martin to win the Grand Final BOG Medals.

Not only did they fail to pay him the $1,152, but they also refused to refund him his $36 stake. That's completely shady.

Had this happened to me, and they paid me the $1,152 to begin with, I would have considered that to be fair and reasonable because I knew I was getting over the odds to expect a $147k payout.

The fact the ticket said "nil pay", I don't blame the guy for fighting for this.

The TAB's next offer was exactly four times the amount of what the payout was supposed to be ($4,608).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The fact the article mentions that he is a Maths whiz and a regular multi bet punter will probably work against him. The reason for this is to do with TAB's terms and conditions, where they reserve the right to void any bets should an obvious error be made, which the customer ought to have known was an obvious error.

Fair to say he would have known the bet he was placing offered him significantly over the top odds.

The $4,608 they gave him is the Dusty $4 multiplied by the Dusty-Slater combo $32 multiplied by the stake.

The kid knew exactly what he was doing and if I was him I'd be taking the $4,608 and not going after something that really isn't his.

The $4,608 they gave him is the Dusty $4 multiplied by the Dusty-Slater combo $32 multiplied by the stake.

The kid knew exactly what he was doing and if I was him I'd be taking the $4,608 and not going after something that really isn't his.
What about all of the losing bets he placed, with multiple combinations of Norm Smith - Clive Churchill doubles, each combination giving him enhanced odds in error? How come the TAB didn't refund those bets, instead settling them all as losing bets? Would it not make sense for the TAB to also pay him out the $147k given they settled every other bet of his as a losing bet?

It’s news worthy

Your snobby jealousy is ugly
It happened over a year ago...
Jealous of a guy who exploited a fault in a betting terminal, could have taken $5000, instead decided to take it to court and will now end up with a legal bill to pay. I bet he owns a heap of bitcoin too...

Exactly every punter tries this stuff. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Maths wiz.......... **** off:$
He is, but it has nothing to do with exploiting odds or punting.

He ranked in the top 0.4% of VCE students for Maths in 2016. He is studying statistical mathematics at Monash University.

What happens when your bank mistakenly credits a sum of money in your account, is it yours?

What happens when your parents have protected sex and your mother mistakenly falls pregnant? When you're born, are you entitled to your life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back