List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't there a mid year draft next year? Might be holding onto that final rookie spot for that.
Unconfirmed at this stage but clubs can sign players from Dec 1 to March 14 incase of retirements

Unconfirmed at this stage but clubs can sign players from Dec 1 to March 14 incase of retirements
Isn't there a mid year draft next year? Might be holding onto that final rookie spot for that.
I was just thinking. With Webb and Picken still looking uncertain, could we be looking to bring in two more players? If so, you would think they'd be mature agers without a doubt.

Not saying this to criticise him specifically (how can I, I don't even know how good he is), but you have to question the logic behind that sort of pick - an outside player who was an over-ager at TAC cup level and had very minimal statistical output, that was a reach versus the consensus. It's easy to make the safe calls, and the pick itself wasn't a highly make or break one, but you still have to put those sorts of unique selections through a critical lens.

Other than that, I think we played our draft strategy perfectly, even if I think we reached for Cavarra a bit (though I am happy to have him)

• Smith at pick 7, where in a deep draft he could have been a pick 3/4/5 in another year, also a player who I think has a very high "floor" and a good pickup
  • West, even if we don't necessarily "rate" him always gives us value given that we only had to pay 80% of the draft points that another club rated him at
  • Khamis slipping to us as a cat B rookie seems a steal
  • Cavarra and Hayes as mature-agers with later picks I'm happy with. We already have the young talent, so we don't need to add to it, adding solid depth whilst still young-ish and room for improvement is exactly what we can do with our final list spots.
  • Lachie Young another 19 year old who played half VFL and half Dandenong seems like one who slipped through the cracks
  • A ruck who made it to senior SANFL level by age 20 with plenty of developing to go
Seems like a good strategising draft. We took young players, but didn't leave ourselves beholden to drafting pure "18 year old upside" types, trying to find 19 year olds and young mature agers that slipped through the cracks as a definite theme.

We also have one rookie list spot left which we can use at any point until the beginning of the season to add, at any time, a player who has previously been before on an AFL list. I'd be looking at two-time Magery Medallist Mitch Grigg (who also kicked 6 and had 31 touches in a losing side in the SANFL GF) as one of them.

Yea, the Vandermeer pick is an interesting one.

Similarly to last year, you can tell Bevo had a big say in our picks this year. After the obvious Smith and West picks, EVERY single pick we made was an overage player (We didn't pick Buku, he was a Cat A freebie).

Vandermeer is 19 (turns 20 in 3 months)
Cavarra is 22
Hayes is 23
Young is 19 (turns 20 in 4 months)
Sweet is 20

Interestingly this was the reason why Dalrymple left us last year, because he didn't like Bevo overruling his choices to instead take older 'win now' players.

The contrast in philosophy's is obvious as Dalrymple again played the futures market this year at Sydney, taking a 17yr old and 5 18yr olds.

7 picks after we took Vandermeer Dalrymple took Justin Mcinerney who is a very similar pacy outside hbf/wing. But Mcinerney is a late bloomer who's almost 2 years younger, taller (187cm vs 179cm), quicker (3.01 vs 3.02 20m sprint) and has better disposal efficiency (75% vs 73.5%).

Then at pick 51 Dal took another similar player in Zac Foot. Who's almost identical in height, position and playstyle but is just 17 years old. His vision is pretty damn exciting tbh. Has genuine explosive pace and x-factor.

So it will be interesting to see how those boys do in comparison to Vandermeer.

I was just thinking. With Webb and Picken still looking uncertain, could we be looking to bring in two more players? If so, you would think they'd be mature agers without a doubt.
Fingers cross both dont retire due to those injures

Depends on were we had players, might even bring in two 18 years old we wanted but didnt have the picks

Without seeing much of the players selected I’m happy with this draft haul.

We seemed very keen on Smith from a long way out and he should be a pretty safe pick at 7. Seems like he’s comfortable at half back and half forward as well as through the middle so I can see him playing a lot of senior football next year.

Throughout the year it looked like West would cost a top 20 pick and Khamis a pick around 40 so to get both much cheaper is handy. I know nothing about Vandermeer but we do need more players with leg speed

Happy that we’ve addressed some of our needs through the recruiting of mature agers in Cavarra and Hayes. Cavarra looks like he has a bit of goal nous and can provide some forward pressure for us, could slot in straight away. Not as convinced on Hayes but as someone who has improved drastically year on year he’s worth the gamble as the last pick in the draft.

Would’ve liked to add another high pressure small forward to the list as I think we're still short in that area but overall I’m excited on what these guys could add. I try not to get too high or low on any of these guys until I’ve seen them a few times in our colours.

Without seeing much of the players selected I’m happy with this draft haul.

We seemed very keen on Smith from a long way out and he should be a pretty safe pick at 7. Seems like he’s comfortable at half back and half forward as well as through the middle so I can see him playing a lot of senior football next year.

Throughout the year it looked like West would cost a top 20 pick and Khamis a pick around 40 so to get both much cheaper is handy. I know nothing about Vandermeer but we do need more players with leg speed

Happy that we’ve addressed some of our needs through the recruiting of mature agers in Cavarra and Hayes. Cavarra looks like he has a bit of goal nous and can provide some forward pressure for us, could slot in straight away. Not as convinced on Hayes but as someone who has improved drastically year on year he’s worth the gamble as the last pick in the draft.

Would’ve liked to add another high pressure small forward to the list as I think we're still short in that area but overall I’m excited on what these guys could add. I try not to get too high or low on any of these guys until I’ve seen them a few times in our colours.
Cavarra should play a fair bit of footy

I’ll be watching Khamis’ progress closely. Smoothest mover I’ve seen since JJ. Here’s hoping he can find his feet quickly, would love to see him playing in the firsts ASAP
Didn’t he run last in the 2km time trial?

Didn’t he run last in the 2km time trial?
One of the reasons he didn’t get nominated by any other teams was his poor endurance. Has enormous upside but may take a few pre seasons to build his tank to AFL standard.

Heard we were very close to getting pick 20 from Adelaide for a future 2nd and were going to take RCD, but Blues offered their future first rounder - an offer we weren’t prepared to put up.

One of the reasons he didn’t get nominated by any other teams was his poor endurance. Has enormous upside but may take a few pre seasons to build his tank to AFL standard.

Heard we were very close to getting pick 20 from Adelaide for a future 2nd and were going to take RCD, but Blues offered their future first rounder - an offer we weren’t prepared to put up.

Oh really? So maybe now people can stop complaining that we did nothing. No fekking way would I have wanted us to do a Carlton and piss away a high end pick for a player late in the first round. We were just wise enough not to pay overs to move up in the draft, or risk losing Smith to move down when rumors that Richmond were lurking. We dipped our toes in the water, good enough for me.

I thought GWS had the most interesting draft of all the teams.
Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately, Xavier O'Halloran, Ian Hill, Kieran Briggs and Connor Idun.

Maybe a village people tribute band amongst that lot.
Probably reflects the amount of players they lost and the quality of those players. They had a number of high and mid range draft picks whereas we only had the one plus the Dahl compo and Dahl was never like Shiel so it’s understandable that they would have a stronger hand and have picked a good quality draft haul.

Given the picks we had to choose from, I thought we did pretty well and filled some definite needs, although I too was hoping we could have moved up before West was bid on and picked another player in the late teens, early 20’s, I suspect Power tried to do that but the asking price was too steep.

Happy with the list correction and addition of some speed. I really like that Smith and Vandermeer seem to have a willingness to play on. We may have some good midfielders but imo it has been overrated. Not overrated individually but as a group so adding the quality of Smith and West is great. Hayes is good depth to have.

I'm really interested in what Richmond had ready to trade up to get Smith if we traded down, has anyone heard?
Been wondering the same regarding Richmond. Even if they added their 1st rounder next year with their first pick, I couldn’t see Adelaide going for that

Our next years first for Adelaides next year first and pick 20- happily do that.

It dosn't sound we're planning that at this stage - Picken has been training (non-contact I believe) and Webb's running laps, albeit still with his neck brace on which is a worrying sign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good draft.

Can’t believe Vander fell to us, as Scrag said.

Good times.

It dosn't sound we're planning that at this stage - Picken has been training (non-contact I believe) and Webb's running laps, albeit still with his neck brace on which is a worrying sign.
They said from the start he'd be wearing the neck brace until Christmas. Obviously have to be completely sure it's totally healed. We/he can only hope for the best but you'd think it would be hard to come back from, mentally if not physically.

Interesting take on the Draft by Chris Doerre who I think is Knightmare on Bigfooty.

Bulldogs should be pleased considering the picks we had.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25356894/afl-draft-2018-************-winners-losers

Interesting take on the Draft by Chris Doerre who I think is Knightmare on Bigfooty.

Bulldogs should be pleased considering the picks we had.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25356894/afl-draft-2018-************-winners-losers

He is obsessed with Smith, no surprise there imo. Didn’t we pick Buku up as a standard and not Cat B rookie?

The video GWS put out on thr draft was very interesting. Sounds like 7 for 9 & 19 time get Caldwell was very much in play but they were confident we would take Smith and Adelaide would take Jones. Love to know what the Tigers were planning to offer Adelaide for pick 8 to potentially jump us, otherwise a potentially wasted opportunity for us.

The video GWS put out on thr draft was very interesting. Sounds like 7 for 9 & 19 time get Caldwell was very much in play but they were confident we would take Smith and Adelaide would take Jones. Love to know what the Tigers were planning to offer Adelaide for pick 8 to potentially jump us, otherwise a potentially wasted opportunity for us.

Two first rounders. It would have been a great deal for both teams. Crows get a future first plus a late first rounder and the Tigers get a top pick this year.

Two first rounders. It would have been a great deal for both teams. Crows get a future first plus a late first rounder and the Tigers get a top pick this year.
Hmmm I can’t see the Crows swapping 20 & 16-18 for 8 though. I get that the Tigers would have been keen but I just couldn’t see the Crows accepting that given what they made Carlton part with for pick 19

Hmmm I can’t see the Crows swapping 20 & 16-18 for 8 though. I get that the Tigers would have been keen but I just couldn’t see the Crows accepting that given what they made Carlton part with for pick 19

Crows were pissed they missed the early picks for the top SA talent. No one wanted to trade the earliest picks. So, they were targeting future picks, to try and get the top guys next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back