Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

In his highlights package, the clip at the end of him roving the centre bounce, breaking out of the stoppage, and kicking a 40m drop punt onto a leading players chest ... I can’t remember the last time I saw a swans player do that.
Big difference from U18 comp to AFL seniors.
Let's see if he can handle the increase in pressure applied.

Certainly not hitting a target. Mitchell just used to tumble it forward and it was often turned over. He got plenty of possessions that didn't count for much, even the disposals that were rated "effective".
Careful, you can get banned on this site for knocking the greatest footballer ever!

Targets round 1 in a video interview on the website. I like that attitude.

Interesting to read , we may have hoped to grab this bloke and Robottom later...
Looks like GC have done well to grab this kid, practically a local. Think both will do well.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-28/they-were-my-no1-preference-draftee-happy-at-suns

That’s conjecture though. We could’ve been keen on any number of players taken before 25. What we do know is that we were clearly very keen on Rowbottom, so much so that we used our second round pick on him, a pick we were obviously desperate to keep. He was expected to go anywhere from the late 20’s all the way up to the 70’s, so he was a massive wildcard. I think we needed an inside mid more than a tall in McLennan anyway

That’s conjecture though. We could’ve been keen on any number of players taken before 25. What we do know is that we were clearly very keen on Rowbottom, so much so that we used our second round pick on him, a pick we were obviously desperate to keep. He was expected to go anywhere from the late 20’s all the way up to the 70’s, so he was a massive wildcard. I think we needed an inside mid more than a tall in McLennan anyway

Um... McLennan is shorter than Rowbottom - he’s 184cms. I was thinking he might be a Nick Smith replacement. He would have been a great pick option for us.

Um... McLennan is shorter than Rowbottom - he’s 184cms. I was thinking he might be a Nick Smith replacement. He would have been a great pick option for us.

So he is! Why on earth did I hear from multiple sources he was a key defender??? Anywho, I see your point but I also think enough of the small-medium defenders. With Tucker and Reynolds added to our list already with Thurlow and Sir Dane, feels like we have a lot of blokes who can play small or tall. If we were going to go for a defender, I’d rather a taller key defender who could free up Aliir. I have to admit I was sure we’d go Kozi 2.0 for this exact reason, even before Rowbottom.

Jack Watts.

I tend to think key position draftees have a pretty high chance of becoming busts, because the junior level lends itself to them so much better than the elite level does. Mids are easier to read. If you have the capacity to run hard, crack in and put your head over the ball, that won’t go away, and that will ensure you have a long career in footy. All the other stuff - like polish, pressure, awareness etc - determines how successful that career is.

So he is! Why on earth did I hear from multiple sources he was a key defender??? Anywho, I see your point but I also think enough of the small-medium defenders. With Tucker and Reynolds added to our list already with Thurlow and Sir Dane, feels like we have a lot of blokes who can play small or tall. If we were going to go for a defender, I’d rather a taller key defender who could free up Aliir. I have to admit I was sure we’d go Kozi 2.0 for this exact reason, even before Rowbottom.

You mean like Melican? Or Maibaum?

Why do we want to “free” up Aliir anyway? His one on one work statistically is better than almost anyone, along with taking a swag of intercept marks.

Why not let him develop into one of the best key defenders in the competition, one who can run and create offensively as well (Rance?).

It’s easy to forget Aliir has only played 28 AFL games! He is on an impressive trajectory.

We also have the likes of Amartey who we could train as a defender, Pink even though that’s a long shot lol

You mean like Melican? Or Maibaum?

Why do we want to “free” up Aliir anyway? His one on one work statistically is better than almost anyone, along with taking a swag of intercept marks.

Why not let him develop into one of the best key defenders in the competition, one who can run and create offensively as well (Rance?).

It’s easy to forget Aliir has only played 28 AFL games! He is on an impressive trajectory.

We also have the likes of Amartey who we could train as a defender, Pink even though that’s a long shot lol

Because I already have Melican as the Grundy replacement and question marks about Maibaum. So I think our key defender stocks outside of the best 22 are a concern, though not as much as our inside midfield depth. And also you don’t need to convince me about Aliir’s qualities, I just think he can be used better. But we’re off topic now.

Agree, a tall defender and a small defender is our need. Medium defenders we have coming out our ears at the moment.
Kozi would’ve been a good pick that late... would’ve screwed Hawthorn up too. Two birds, one stone.

Agree, a tall defender and a small defender is our need. Medium defenders we have coming out our ears at the moment.
Kozi would’ve been a good pick that late... would’ve screwed Hawthorn up too. Two birds, one stone.

We obviously didn’t rate Kosi as highly as the ones we picked. If you reach for players more often than not it fails miserably. Best available especially with our picks this season. We added some defenders in the rookie draft anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s safer picks than others available at the same time in the draft. Understand what I mean?

No? I don’t think there’s such thing as a safe pick in the draft, with the exception of maybe academy kids we’ve invested in. Every player is basically an unknown entity until they’ve proven themselves at senior level.

We obviously didn’t rate Kosi as highly as the ones we picked. If you reach for players more often than not it fails miserably. Best available especially with our picks this season. We added some defenders in the rookie draft anyway

Personally don’t see a pick in the 50’s as a reach for him. Also, none of the rookies are potential KPP’s... once again they’re medium defenders

I worry for us then because we reached for at least our 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft

Personally don’t see a pick in the 50’s as a reach for him. Also, none of the rookies are potential KPP’s... once again they’re medium defenders

I worry for us then because we reached for at least our 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft

We had enough KPD’s anyway- already have Melican and Maibaum in reserve. Next years draft there are more defenders or KPP. You don’t reach for a KPP in a midfield draft when our midfield was obliterated last year. We needed midfield depth.

I don’t see either of the players we got as a reach. They fill a direct need.

We had enough KPD’s anyway- already have Melican and Maibaum in reserve. Next years draft there are more defenders or KPP. You don’t reach for a KPP in a midfield draft when our midfield was obliterated last year. We needed midfield depth.

ALso it isn't like Rowbottom was the only inside midfielder available at our pick either. There were others, and more highly rated ones as well, so the fact we picked Rowbottom must mean we see him as better.

ALso it isn't like Rowbottom was the only inside midfielder available at our pick either. There were others, and more highly rated ones as well, so the fact we picked Rowbottom must mean we see him as better.

I agree. Actually I am loving this pick seems a very astute second round selection.

I hear what you’re saying but are you sure our 3rd and 4th draft picks fill that inside midfield need? I would argue neither of them do, or for that matter do our first 2 rookie picks.

I get the best available mantra but I think those 4 picks are somewhat unbalanced.

Looking into the academy we may well have some picks dictated to us in the next few years so we need to plug gaps now.

I hear what you’re saying but are you sure our 3rd and 4th draft picks fill that inside midfield need? I would argue neither of them do, or for that matter do our first 2 rookie picks.

I get the best available mantra but I think those 4 picks are somewhat unbalanced.

Looking into the academy we may well have some picks dictated to us in the next few years so we need to plug gaps now.

They fill different midfield needs. Rowbottom is your genuine inside, probably will start as a tagger but he'll eventually move into that inside mid position. McInerney is a genuine wingman, and we badly need one. Needs to up his disposals but the tools are there, think a Issac Smith type (not for a second saying he'll be as good or won't be, who knows there), and Foot was well worth a throw at the stumps as a outside mid/wingman with very good disposal, with the latter being important seeing our disposal is horrible. We have focused on improving our midfield and these three help.

We got two defending types in the rookie draft, one may replace a Nick Smith, who knows. This wasn't a draft to take too many defenders, there just weren't that many. In 2019 that is more of a ruck/KPP draft where we can look at getting some height on our list. I was happy with the mix this year, we have to remember re-doing your midfield and defence doesn't take just 1 draft, it will take a couple of drafts. Next year is important. I will say we should look at potentially trading our 2020 first rounder for another live selection next year.

They fill different midfield needs. Rowbottom is your genuine inside, probably will start as a tagger but he'll eventually move into that inside mid position. McInerney is a genuine wingman, and we badly need one. Needs to up his disposals but the tools are there, think a Issac Smith type (not for a second saying he'll be as good or won't be, who knows there), and Foot was well worth a throw at the stumps as a outside mid/wingman with very good disposal, with the latter being important seeing our disposal is horrible. We have focused on improving our midfield and these three help.

We got two defending types in the rookie draft, one may replace a Nick Smith, who knows. This wasn't a draft to take too many defenders, there just weren't that many. In 2019 that is more of a ruck/KPP draft where we can look at getting some height on our list. I was happy with the mix this year, we have to remember re-doing your midfield and defence doesn't take just 1 draft, it will take a couple of drafts. Next year is important. I will say we should look at potentially trading our 2020 first rounder for another live selection next year.

....spose so. Still think we missed a trick but I’m not going to push that one any further.

Agree re next years draft strategy. If I’m reading the tea leaves correctly next years academy looks decent and we may well have a few picks in the later rounds. 2020 is stronger and maybe even deeper. It would make sense to bring the 2020 first rounder forward and take the value while we can. If we can get 2 live picks in before academy selections next year we could really be sitting pretty.

Still a long way out but in 2020 I can see us having a draft like Collingwood did this year, where all we do is match other clubs bids.

No? I don’t think there’s such thing as a safe pick in the draft, with the exception of maybe academy kids we’ve invested in. Every player is basically an unknown entity until they’ve proven themselves at senior level.
Sam Walsh a pretty safe pick imo.

Sam Walsh a pretty safe pick imo.

It’s safe sure but you can quote me on this, Caldwell will be the best in the draft. Walsh is the safe 200 game pick though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back