Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to hear the reports on Plowman’s changing body shape.

I’ve long suspected he’ll be far more effective with a leaner frame given he’s effectively the 4th ‘tall’ defender with Weitering, Marchbank and Jones in the team. Let him play his natural role as a rebounding half-back, where he starred as a junior. He will be far more effective getting up the ground and using his skills and read.

If we can get 20% more offensive output out of him, that will part-way offset Docherty’s absence and allow Newman and Williamson to play more defensive roles.

It's s**t.
Go to write a few words and hundreds pop out before I know it.

It's good that there are others putting more detailed observations out there. I don't like typing. :)
Still a great report, i like that Kennedy is looking OK.

Focus on ball movement and bringing the ball into the middle before the last kick into the forward line, suggests a possible more attacking game forthcoming.
This is especially good to hear Harks that’s what we need to be doing if we play wide down the wings, used this tactic a lot under Ratts and it worked a treat, this is where we want SPS positioned to receive the ball, as the last kick going inside 50, will rip defences to shreds with his worm burner precision passes to leading forwards, same with the fish man perfect spot for them.

I think we will use Murphy as a running receiver this year predominantly roaming between the arcs not so much in a set position more where we need some run and drive, whether that be starting at halfback or wing will depend on needs but his running power is to valuable to be wasted as a set small forward, I see him delivering down field and running on to receive the handball as he coasts past, that to me is when Murph really shines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the competitive drills where they went back and forth with two or three runners handballing through a couple of defenders, I saw some interesting things....

In defense, I thought Le Bois worked really hard disrupting the chains. His pressure seemed good. Quick of mind.

Thought Kreuzer's handballs were a bit below standard sometimes straight at the man rather than in front of him.

In the end to end drills they were very sharp early but got scrappy later on...maybe due to the rain but kicking was again at the man rather than to the spot they were moving to.

General thoughts...Kennedy looked much more agile than last year. Jack Sosos looks like he'll have a good year. Looks fit and a natural footballer though I don't know what position.

Got to say the whole group looks really fit. I am looking forward to seeing this translate into a running machine with great pressure on the man and on opposition defenses.

Sorry. Photos not great quality.

20190118_094659.jpg 20190118_094704.jpg 20190118_094705.jpg 20190118_094707.jpg 20190118_094709.jpg

Have not seen a more impressive first year player at this point in time of the year before.
Walsh is amazing
Was chatting to his grandfather there today for a bit, nice old bloke and as proud as you would expect.

Walsh does draw the eye for sure...kicking seems fine, though it almost always does at training

Great report Harks. Agree 100% with what you were reporting about training. Yes, there was a LOT going on which made it hard to see everyone. I too couldn't believe the number of grey shirts.

Finally back on the Peninsula, so here are some pics with reflections..... P1018258.JPG
So happy to see Doc out there, as a 2nd year Backline coach. Macreadie was hanging on every word.

P1018259.JPG
Newfound respect for Teague. Such a good teacher as he worked with the "rehab" group. They did a lot of walk-through stuff on how to assess the best options for breaking a press and present as the right option to do so. TDK keen to learn and McGovern also great in explaining. Marchbank impressed as he did a mountain of running today, like Harks alluded to.

P1018283.JPG
Hamish McIntosh put our ruck division through a solid ruck-craft session (minus TDK). Yes, Harks, McKay will ruck well this year (with Andrews and Lobbe fighting it out to be the back-up if need be). Speaking of rucking......

P1018315.JPG
Watched Setterfield for a fair portion of the training. Others players calling him "Kouta". Joined in a fair chunk of the drills, before doing agility work then called in to crumb off the ruck tap-work (see above). Moving really well. Reckon he will be a massive in when he debuts later on. Not just yet.....
He was taking speccies easily in some one-on-one by more grey shirts (see below).
P1018306.JPG

P1018285.JPG Tried not to focus too much on Walsh.....but you just cannot help it. Just wait to you see him at LIVE. Looks like he's been at CFC for a few years, he's that smooth, relaxed, fit, respected!!

P1018347.JPG
Would love to see these 3 all play forward pressure roles, once their grunt develops. Despite Garlett looking settled at HBF, he couldn't resist doing some crumbing work with our other smalls. Loves curling them in from the pocket he does and does so more often then not. Polson, Cunners and LeBois all rated a good chance to get forward pocket minutes. Yes, even LeBois....his best strength is his crumbing off Charlie and Co. Times it well and has polish around goals. His tackling, fitness and one-on-one strength needs a ton of work, but his crumbing is very very good. Later this year maybe..

P1018288.JPG
And lastly, it was novel to see Andy Lee join in with the "rehab" group. The lads love him and it wasn't a token gesture as he did all the running work that they did.

Overall, just read Harkers report and know that we are training well in January.

Loved reading this:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-18/injured-blues-hit-the-track-as-they-close-in-on-full-training said:
Former skipper Marc Murphy looks to be in superb condition and somewhat slimmer after an injury-plagued 2018 season in which he missed nine games. For some time after training had finished, Murphy pushed himself through a hard running session.

Big year for Murph I reckon. Weight of the captaincy lifted, looks fit & seemingly busting his arse on the track plus a fit Kennedy to help inside and free up to play more wing/hff/fringesof the contest.

Solid training session today and a step or two up from last week.
Also good to see mids vs mids, ruck contests, full ground drills, albeit playing only one half of the ground, with around 15 or so players.
Focus on ball movement and bringing the ball into the middle before the last kick into the forward line, suggests a possible more attacking game forthcoming.
I'll again only raise the standout things to me and maybe a few points of difference:

Very pleased to see McKay contest well in the ruck.
Used his body favourably, held his ground and given he was pitted up against our primary talls (No TDK involvement, who left the ground early), he did more than enough to show we may have a valuable second ruck on our hands and not simply a filler. No fooling around either. Looked (was made to look) very serious.

Kennedy impressed again. This is not the same Kennedy we saw last year.
Amazing how a little (?) injury can make one look second rate. Lateral movement, strength and power in the first step looked good.
Kennedy has to come into my starting 22 and have to take Setterfield out...for now.

Walsh. I know...Walsh, Walsh, Walsh, but seriously, he's hard to ignore.
What I liked to see most though was after a tackle that brought Casboult down, he was clearly in pain. Corky?
Limped around a little, walked around the edge of the other players and prepared himself for the next tackle, in which he brought Casboult down again.
The rest has been said and we'll simply have to wait and see what he's like in the real stuff.

Phillips. Always looks good through pre-seasons and then finds it hard to get onto the park in the season proper. It's a pity.
His ground work was of a very high standard today and picked up the ball off the deck, better than some of our smalls and mids.
Contested well in the ruck duels and ran harder and faster than his group of four.

JSilvagni & Polson presented very well today and were heavily involved in most things.
Not everything was of the highest standard, except for the efforts. Jack also trained with the mids. Interesting.

Talk about Silvagnis, Ben is intriguing to me.
His training standard is very good. Marks well, contests well, kicks well enough.
Looked better than last week to me. Is that how things are going to open up? Have we hidden him to our advantage? He's a funny one.

Anyone not putting ECurnow, Murphy or Thomas in their starting 22 is doing it wrong.
Ed was a beast today (isn't he always?), Murphy used very well and looks 5 years younger and Thomas....well, he's Thomas.

Dow was unfortunately quite sloppy today though. Maybe just an off day.
Finbar. We have a long way to go, but no problem there.

Williamson did come off early and looked a bit upright walking off. Can't assume anything but it didn't look great.

Goddard and Setterfield got involved in the main drills at times.
McGovern just some kick to kick with a trainer.
Marchbank must have run a mini marathon today. Looks in great shape.
Lang just couldn't keep up with Caleb. Tried but got lost and eventually moved on.
Plowman has changed body shape and looks in ripping condition.
Charlie being Charlie.....which is a good thing.
Thanks for the updates Harks ..good work..

Great stuff Zatoichi Blue and sosos

Adding pics to reports gives them some cred.
Don't worry about how good a quality they may be, as they do give us something more important; A feel for the day.

When I first spotted Polson today I thought "How come Pickett is out and about already.....albeit a somewhat leaner Pickett?" :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back