Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed.

Naysayers will say we didn’t hang because of him but most of us watched the game.
Naysayers love saying nay.
Had we won by a point they’d be saying we should ha e won by 3 goals.

Taylor is one of our cornerstones in the group.
He’s earned it, came to us, shaky at first but matured.
Now a leader by nature and example.

People blaming Adam for us losing is just plain silly. Every player could have done better in the dying minutes.
We lost, time for some to get over it.

All the talk about Adams as a potential future captain. What does the club really look for in a captain and why does Taylor Adams fit that role to you guys? Interested in your thoughts.

IMO seems like outsiders can make great captains eg. Bucks, but blokes who have been there for the ride do the job just as well.

All the talk about Adams as a potential future captain. What does the club really look for in a captain and why does Taylor Adams fit that role to you guys? Interested in your thoughts.

IMO seems like outsiders can make great captains eg. Bucks, but blokes who have been there for the ride do the job just as well.
I suspect the decisions revolve around a few key points:

• Obvious best 22
  • Internaly respected
  • Leads by example
  • Does all the 1%
  • Trains vociferously
  • Emerges organically as the peer group leader

I suspect the decisions revolve around a few key points:

• Obvious best 22
  • Internaly respected
  • Leads by example
  • Does all the 1%
  • Trains vociferously
  • Emerges organically as the peer group leader
Under these criteria I can see Adams become captain. We'll have to wait maybe a season or two for the last point to really come to fruition as Pendles slowly hands the torch on perhaps.

Under these criteria I can see Adams become captain. We'll have to wait maybe a season or two for the last point to really come to fruition as Pendles slowly hands the torch on perhaps.
Once Scott is handing over, I’d assume Steele will get first dibs even if a short term era of Steele captaincy.

Once Scott is handing over, I’d assume Steele will get first dibs even if a short term era of Steele captaincy.
You're probably right on there. A bit like a Burns' captaincy in '08.

Incredibly frustrating that moment he kicked to the top of the forward 50. I was absolutely fuming at that point in the game. Coaching is a fickle thing and I’m sure the coaches are always encouraging players to keep confidence in their kicking but geez... how does this bloke STILL have the licence to try these passes? He should only be playing within his limits, which is kicking it long down the line. No attempts at a pinpoint to the middle of the ground. It never works... maybe I only notice the ones that get cut off but gee I don’t remember him ever pulling one off in his 20+ attempts over the past 4 years. Love his in and under game but the bloke is not a Leon Davis circa 2011...

Incredibly frustrating that moment he kicked to the top of the forward 50. I was absolutely fuming at that point in the game. Coaching is a fickle thing and I’m sure the coaches are always encouraging players to keep confidence in their kicking but geez... how does this bloke STILL have the licence to try these passes? He should only be playing within his limits, which is kicking it long down the line. No attempts at a pinpoint to the middle of the ground. It never works... maybe I only notice the ones that get cut off but gee I don’t remember him ever pulling one off in his 20+ attempts over the past 4 years. Love his in and under game but the bloke is not a Leon Davis circa 2011...

and Nearly Always turns to a Big Turnover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unforgivable. The runner had no impact, he kicked it straight to Yeo

Excellent news.

We've (almost) all been saying it from the day we snagged him from GWS: Put him in the guts and leave him there... for the next 5 years.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/5c51af903a88adcb674ac4eccb560c78

Collingwood hard-nut Taylor Adams will sign a five-year contract extension to help relieve more short-term pressure on the club’s tight salary cap.

The long-term deal rewards the 25-year-old for a career-best season, finishing fifth in the best-and-fairest as the Pies charged into the Grand Final last year.

He starred for the Magpies in the premiership decider, gathering 31 possessions to finish second in Norm Smith Medal voting behind Luke Shuey.

Importantly for Collingwood, the back-ended deal means Adams will be paid the bulk of the money in the last few years of the agreement, once some other big contracts have expired.

The Magpies’ salary cap was jam-packed for 2019 after adding superstar midfielder Dayne Beams and Western Bulldogs big man Jordan Roughead in the trade period, on top of re-signing gamebreaker Jordan De Goey, Tom Langdon and father-son gem Darcy Moore.

Beams was understood to have accepted a significant pay cut for 2019, and an overall wage of about $450,000 plus bonuses, to join the Pies from Brisbane last year.

To help make room for the Pies’ new recruits, and potentially avoid having to make big cuts at season’s end, Collingwood has set about renegotiating new contracts with a core group of its senior stars over the past six months.

It means Adams, among others, will forego some of the cash they would have been paid in 2019-20 in return for more long-term security.

While it is unclear how many Collingwood players have deferred funds until later seasons, the sacrificial acts have helped keep the club’s squad together and are a powerful commitment to the Pies’ premiership quest.

Defender Jack Crisp, who finished fourth in the best-and-fairest last year, is also set to ink a reworked long-term extension as part of the moves.

List chief Ned Guy has overseen the strategy which should ensure the Magpies remain in premiership contention over the next few seasons.

Adams, who joined the Pies after two years at the Giants, averaged career-highs in contested possessions (13.2) and clearances (6.2) last season as a key part of the onball group.

The addition of Beams will deliver a major boost to the midfield as the Pies attempt to launch another genuine premiership bid, albeit with a more difficult fixture this season.

Beams has carefully managed a back issue over the preseason but will look to step up his preparations for the regular season over the JLT Series.

Star ruckman Brodie Grundy has also been on light duties with a sore toe but is expected to rejoin main training this month.

The Pies are also looking to regain stars Jamie Elliott and Moore early in the season after hamstring injuries ruined their 2018 campaigns.

Daniel Wells is also looking to return from his foot injury through the VFL in the early rounds, while versatile tall Ben Reid is also moving well after another year of soft tissue problems.

Reid, Wells and Elliott are all out of contract at season’s end.

Really loving the longer term deals for our core players.
Much more refreshing than giving your Daniel Wells' and Chris Mayne's 3-4yr deals....
Thank god we have sorted out list management issues.

Really loving the longer term deals for our core players.
Much more refreshing than giving your Daniel Wells' and Chris Mayne's 3-4yr deals....
Thank god we have sorted out list management issues.

We'll see at the end of 2019 if the issues are sorted or if people get squeezed out

i heard a pie fan in japan did a forensic study of adam's boot which he purchased when tay threw them in the bin after the GF. The Japanese guy ran 3 months of tests involving x-rays and wind tunnels. It seems that the right boot had been incorrectly stitched near the toe and it caused a slight deviation to the kick....so now we can finally get over the grieving process

i heard a pie fan in japan did a forensic study of adam's boot which he purchased when tay threw them in the bin after the GF. The Japanese guy ran 3 months of tests involving x-rays and wind tunnels. It seems that the right boot had been incorrectly stitched near the toe and it caused a slight deviation to the kick....so now we can finally get over the grieving process
did they fix his brain too so he stops kicking it inboard to the opposition all the time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back