Sri Lanka tour of South Africa 2019 - 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20Is

Remove this Banner Ad

History is made. SL win the series

2-0!!!

giphy.gif

Man, even Heals would have made the winning runs sound like a big moment.

Polly just seems like ; |

After the 1st Test, the South Africans would have been wishing it was a 3-Test series.

After the 2nd Test, the South Africans would have been thankful it was not a 3-Test series.

It's hilarious when you think that just a few months ago, we were discussing how teams didn't travel well away from their home and how test cricket is dead.

In the next few months,

New Zealand became the first non asian team to win in the UAE against Pakistan.

England won a historic series in Sri Lanka after 17 years.

India became the first asian team to win a series in Australia after 71 years.

Sri Lanka became the first asian team to win a series in South Africa since South Africa started playing test cricket.

Yeah talk nah fellas!

Safe to say the captaincy is Karunaratne's for a while. I hope it can bring the best out of him because it clearly weighed Mathews/Chandimal down and both had slumps in their periods with the top job.

Next series will finally be easier in terms of batting selection for Sri Lanka, time to move Chandimal back to where he actually scores runs.

Karunaratne (c)
Fernando
Mendis
Mathews
Chandimal
Perera
Dickwella (k)

Obviously early days for Fernando and harsh on De Silva who's been good with the ball but he's had a poor time with the bat despite his 48 recently, probably has to make way with the other stands in doing so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hilarious when you think that just a few months ago, we were discussing how teams didn't travel well away from their home and how test cricket is dead.

In the next few months,

New Zealand became the first non asian team to win in the UAE against Pakistan.

England won a historic series in Sri Lanka after 17 years.

India became the first asian team to win a series in Australia after 71 years.

Sri Lanka became the first asian team to win a series in South Africa since South Africa started playing test cricket.

Yeah talk nah fellas!

Last few years have had countless great games decided on days 4 and 5 as well yet all we hear is how test cricket needs dramatic changes as it's become boring, if they didn't like the last few years of test cricket then they never really liked test cricket and they never will.

Safe to say the captaincy is Karunaratne's for a while. I hope it can bring the best out of him because it clearly weighed Mathews/Chandimal down and both had slumps in their periods with the top job.

Next series will finally be easier in terms of batting selection for Sri Lanka, time to move Chandimal back to where he actually scores runs.

Karunaratne (c)
Fernando
Mendis
Mathews
Chandimal
Perera
Dickwella (k)

Obviously early days for Fernando and harsh on De Silva who's been good with the ball but he's had a poor time with the bat despite his 48 recently, probably has to make way with the other stands in doing so well.
Think Dickwella makes way for Perera. They might even opt to open with Perera.

Last few years have had countless great games decided on days 4 and 5 as well yet all we hear is how test cricket needs dramatic changes as it's become boring, if they didn't like the last few years of test cricket then they never really liked test cricket and they never will.
A lot of posters are muppets that only watch Australian home series and the Ashes.

Think Dickwella makes way for Perera. They might even opt to open with Perera.

Why? He's been great with the bat. Doesn't convert but he gets stranded with the tail a lot and is forced to hit out.

Also Perera played perhaps the greatest Test innings ever down the order with the tail, why would you move him just to fit in De Silva who has been really inconsistent?

Only other option I see is to leave Chandimal out until he finds form again and see where everyone's at after the next series.

Putting my half glass full hat on here, but if they brought this over to Aus, they could have easily won that series as well. I know a couple things didn't go right for them here but IMO they lost the series when they landed here.

Why? He's been great with the bat. Doesn't convert but he gets stranded with the tail a lot and is forced to hit out.

Also Perera played perhaps the greatest Test innings ever down the order with the tail, why would you move him just to fit in De Silva who has been really inconsistent?

Only other option I see is to leave Chandimal out until he finds form again and see where everyone's at after the next series.
Perera to open to fit Dickwella as keep (not De silva).
Only 2 Sl players average 40 and thats Chandi and Matthews. He'll find form at 5. In fact him and Matthews should rotate between 5 and 6.

Elgar will stay obviously. I don't know SA's domestic scene to know if there is a better player than Bavuma who fits with their quota system.

Amla looks done and I would look at Steyn and Olivier. The former can still be good but just that times of him trying to get wickets have helped SL, and Olivier isn't that great.

Putting my half glass full hat on here, but if they brought this over to Aus, they could have easily won that series as well. I know a couple things didn't go right for them here but IMO they lost the series when they landed here.

Disagree. Australia weren't taking SL easy and the hunger was there. SA didn't look like they have had hunger and thought they would cake walk this series even after the shellshock from Perera.

I reckon England and South Africa didn't know what hit them in recent weeks. They weren't ready for what was to come until it was too late. However you know England will give it their all against Australia as it is a long standing rivalry since the beginning of cricket. and of course we got smashed against South Africa. We were the hunted for a very, very long time and it still spills over in recent times...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back