2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I have zero idea why Jones is getting games ahead of him. Meek is ahead of Jones in every facet.

He certainly appears to have a reasonable ruckman's body so I am also surprised if they are still sheltering him. Meek is more mobile than Jones but Jones has probably more game sense at this stage (some of his taps (non-rucking) to advantage are very good).

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-03-06/injury-update

Sounds like Switowski and Logue are in an uphill battle to play Rd 1. Good news for Switkowski as his injury looked serious to me.

Blakely a good chance to return in "the early rounds". Guess that is quite positive as well.

Lots ob TBAs on the official injury list though.

EDIT: Sorry thought I was on the Injuries thread

Last edited:
I am writing my first training report!

All players were in the rehab group with one injury or another so the only training with a ball was between Mzungu and Rock who were playing kick to kick while Hale was trying to take hangers off Rock's back.

Was super excited to attend my first session at Cockburn and write my first report but sadly my baby daughter had other ideas and kept me up all night, ruling me out of training duties.

I too had an awesome nights sleep "sharing" (I'd put it at 80/20 in his favour) a single mattress with my little one. Back feels super great today.

I feel your pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am writing my first training report!

All players were in the rehab group with one injury or another so the only training with a ball was between Mzungu and Rock who were playing kick to kick while Hale was trying to take hangers off Rock's back.

Well I guess Mzungu, Rock and Hale will form our half back line for round 1 then as they are fit and available. The AFLW girls and the Little League kids will fill all the other unimportant positions until the final round of 2019 when a few injured players might finally be available.

Managed a hour or so. A light session with a total focus on ball movement into the forward line.
The first main drill was an end to end movement with focus on having at least two options, someone over lapping and a longer kick to a one on one.
Either way the ball ended up with a fake contest at about 50- 60 m out with a small sharking the ball. ( by fake I mean the ball was bought to the ground every time).
The next drill was three players running into the forward line trying to hit up targets. It looked little like the Collingwood game.
The most disappointing was the movement during the match sim. It looked a lot like the Collingwood game.
It's obvious what we are trying to do, it may take a while.
The positive side is that we are attempting to attack.
The zone from kick ins looked good again.
Hogan and Tabs were in the last few to leave the field.
Some photos to come after golf.

Last edited:
Managed a hour or so. A light session with a total focus on ball movement into the forward line.
At risk of moving into the Lyon hater group, this genuinely amazes and confuses me. I know he said after the game we went long too much but after years of doing that exact same thing and the way the players seemed to have it drilled into them that they kick long to the top of the square on every single entry, I am amazed that this is an actual focus of change and not the actual plan.

I honestly will not care if we get belted on poor skill turnovers into the 50 this week if it means I see the vast majority of entries are trying to hit a forward that is in a 1v1 or in space...

Really should just be the memo for the game. At no stage do you go long to the top of the square. Try to hit a target or kick goal regardless of the result.

Really should just be the memo for the game. At no stage do you go long to the top of the square. Try to hit a target or kick goal regardless of the result.
We have simultaneously had AFL rule changes which could advantage long bombs into the forward line, plus the recruitment of some key players who could be very effective marking long bombs into the forward line. At the very least it should be part of our 2019 strategy. None of that negates trying to hit a target.

Also worth remembering that our forward strategy will certainly revolve around Hogan and Lobb, and while they played in JLT1, I highly doubt that they played in the manner the club expects them to play when the real season starts and fitness permits.

On balance the long kick inside fifty to turnover is preferable to me than the short kick to turnover.

My preference:
Inside fifty uncontested mark
Inside fifty contested mark
Inside fifty spillage
Mark outside fifty
Inside fifty mark against
Turnover outside fifty on the flank
Turnover outside fifty in the corridor

There has to be a free player somewhere for all these extra defenders against our talls, but that's a risk of entering down the flank, we don't have a guy who can laser kick 60m across the fifty into the opposite pocket before their defense moves to spoil it.

But I don't think that's what he wants. He wants the forwards to provide more than one option. One of the options will still be long to the square. Unlike previous seasons we have now Lobb and a fit Taberner that should be able to contest that deep if they aren't double or triple teamed - and we should be able to score a lot of goals that way this season. By having one or more lead ups to half forward, it provides other options to kick to as well as drawing defenders away from the deep option - so it's not a massive pack situation every time (like it was in JLT1). It's all easier said than done, the new forward line played together for the first time ever last week, and the mids were young and undermanned and we all know what players do when under the pump - drop it on the boot without a lot of thinking. None of this is new... it probably just needed a refresher session at today's training.

Lots of media at training today, they were all hanging around where most of us watchers stand with the exception of Hagdorn, he stayed in his car with his binoculars over the other side.
Pretty short session as others have said, match sim was pretty ordinary to be honest, quite a few missed targets and dropped marks etc.
At one stage young Sturt got cleaned up by Tabs, he stayed down for a while but just looked to be winded. He completed the session.
Fwiw Wilson was on a modified running program today and didn't take part in sims.

But I don't think that's what he wants. He wants the forwards to provide more than one option. One of the options will still be long to the square. Unlike previous seasons we have now Lobb and a fit Taberner that should be able to contest that deep if they aren't double or triple teamed - and we should be able to score a lot of goals that way this season. By having one or more lead ups to half forward, it provides other options to kick to as well as drawing defenders away from the deep option - so it's not a massive pack situation every time (like it was in JLT1). It's all easier said than done, the new forward line played together for the first time ever last week, and the mids were young and undermanned and we all know what players do when under the pump - drop it on the boot without a lot of thinking. None of this is new... it probably just needed a refresher session at today's training.
I agree but I think we have mastered the bombing to the top of the square tactic and its a JLT game so there is nothing to lose by trying to focus on something in particular.

Its why cutting out the option to bomb it long would be a good idea IMO, for this game. It forces everyone to think about what they are going to do if they have a chance to, works on the skill and perhaps get them trying things they might not otherwise do.

100% it will take time to gel given all the new players but kicking it to the top of the goal square isnt going to speed it up this process

I agree but I think we have mastered the bombing to the top of the square tactic and its a JLT game so there is nothing to lose by trying to focus on something in particular.

Its why cutting out the option to bomb it long would be a good idea IMO, for this game. It forces everyone to think about what they are going to do if they have a chance to, works on the skill and perhaps get them trying things they might not otherwise do.

100% it will take time to gel given all the new players but kicking it to the top of the goal square isnt going to speed it up this process

Just because we have all these bright and sniny new talls, it's the crumbing by the smalls at the feet for goal assists and goals that needs to improve. Can't really just go down to the park and practice that, or get it in a 1 on 1 with your skills coach.

I don't get it.

We used to hit up targets i50 constantly (circa end 2012-2015).

Wtf has happened

Skills, forward movement with out the balls, speed of moving the ball.

We really need to find 2 or 3 quality ball users, who kick to the forwards. This is why I am frustrated with Cerra playing at half back, when he could be a really good half forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back