Do we need to trade some current players to improve the list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well known we have to Always make changes off season
Minimum 3

I've noticed that our youngsters are now due to blossom after a few seasons in the system

To do that we need spaces in the team

IMO Untouchable youngster s ( not best 22) that will not be traded or delisted
Nathan murphy
Callum brown
Tyler brown
Josh Daicos

To give these 4 a go we're gonna have to trade out established players
Aish , shaz , broomy should get us at least a low 1st round next year from port
Phillips can be traded to saints for a first round
Langdon freo for a high second pick
Heck even Thomas for a juicy Gold Coast outcome ( wright? Or Ben king or pick 2?)
Murphy takes langdons spot
Tyler takes Phillips
Daicos takes thomas

Delisting

Sack
Levi
Wells
Crocker
Reid

My recruiting targets would be

Ed Richards( dogs)

Peter wright ( suns)

Hugh greenwood ( crows)

We have currency and we should use it

We also have nick Daicos comming in

Edited typo obvious richards

Last edited:
What is this post? We signed Langdon and Thomas to a three year deal, and we will sign Phillips to another deal. Why would we get rid of legitimate best 22 players to give four youngsters you have arbitrarily deemed to be "untouchable" regular game time when they have yet to show they're anything other than depth right now?

Further, none of Murphy, Daicos or the Browns are out of contract this year.

And Nick Daicos is like 15. He won't be coming in until around the end of 2021 or 2022. Plenty of time for other delistings or retirements.

I'm also gobsmacked you've deemed a consistent contributor in Greenwood as a player to get rid of yet haven't included Rupert Wills.

Methinks you've liked Nathan Murphy after only two games and are wedded to the Browns and Daicos purely because of their surname.

Our greatest strength is our list depth. Getting rid of that, aswell as legitimately good players in Phillips, Thomas and Langdon for the likes of Ed Phillips, Peter Wright and Hugh Greenwood is lunacy.

What is this post? We signed Langdon to a three year deal, and we will sign Phillips to another deal. Why would we get rid of legitimate best 22 players to give four youngsters you have arbitrarily deemed to be "untouchable" regular game time when they have yet to show they're anything other than depth right now?

And Nick Daicos is like 15. He won't be coming in until around the end of 2021 or 2022. Plenty of time for other delistings or retirements.

I'm also gobsmacked you've deemed a consistent contributor in Greenwood as a player to get rid of yet haven't included Rupert Wills.

Methinks you've liked Nathan Murphy after only two games and are wedded to the Browns and Daicos purely because of their surname.

Our greatest strength is our list depth. Getting rid of that, aswell as legitimately good players in Phillips, Thomas and Langdon for the likes of Ed Phillips, Peter Wright and Hugh Greenwood is lunacy.

I don't always agree with your opinions PS, but you are right on the money here. Why would we want to trade out players we know are good players & replace them with kids we hope will be good players? It's a perfect storm to send us back out of finals contention.

We will probably be seeing the last of Wills, Crocker, Wells, Reid & perhaps Goldy & Greenwood in 2019. Perhaps even Broomhead.
That's going to be 5 or 6 changes to the list right there. There is absolutely no need to increase those numbers.
The Brown brothers & Josh Daicos & Nathan Murphy will be just fine progressing at their own pace. No need for a hatchet job on the list.

Oh & btw OP - the word I think you were looking for is conundrum.

Last edited:

Great logic; let’s delist and trade just before Round 1.

Works for me ;)

What is this post? We signed Langdon and Thomas to a three year deal, and we will sign Phillips to another deal. Why would we get rid of legitimate best 22 players to give four youngsters you have arbitrarily deemed to be "untouchable" regular game time when they have yet to show they're anything other than depth right now?

One of your best posts, in response to one of DP’s worst. Kudos.

I'm sure that where DP names Ed Phillips ( dogs) as one of his recruiting targets that he actually means Ed Richards (WB). Perhaps if that was altered the post would make a lot more sense?!!!

I'm sure that where DP names Ed Phillips ( dogs) as one of his recruiting targets that he actually means Ed Richards (WB). Perhaps if that was altered the post would make a lot more sense?!!!
Ed Richards will be a great player, but the crux of the post is still a head-scratcher.

I assumed that’s what he meant on my first read through (because why would we get rid of Tom to recruit his inferior brother), but his post still makes no sense even with that edit.

Ed Richards will be a great player, but the crux of the post is still a head-scratcher.
I assumed that’s what he meant on my first read through (because why would we get rid of Tom to recruit his inferior brother), but his post still makes no sense even with that edit.
Yes, indeed! My post was well and truly tongue in cheek!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I was thinking that.

Bless the darky protector :)

Because we have had plain sailing and nothing controversial this off season {thank god) are we starting our own.The idea is to strengthened the list not weakened,besides natural selection probably means we do not have to cull severely it is just not needed,our list looks fine to me we need Lynch to come on and maybe a KPF.

At least it is something different to talk about,kudos to him for that.
He is a unique part of our board.

Can be different.

But very very very passionate.

Good poster for his style.

I'm sorry??

I've noticed that our youngsters are now due to blossom after a few seasons in the system

You're saying that to give youngesters a go, we must trade out experienced, players in their prime? Umm..

While we're in the premiership window?

None of this makes a lick of sense. Youngsters will improve, but you don't get rid of great players because of it.

Might as well just delist pendles, sidebottom, Sier, Beams, Tayor Adams while you're at it.

Well known we have to Always make changes off season
Minimum 3

IMO Untouchable youngster s ( not best 22) that will not be traded or delisted
Nathan murphy
Callum brown
Tyler brown
Josh Daicos

Aish , shaz , broomy should get us at least a low 1st round next year from port
Phillips can be traded to saints for a first round
Langdon freo for a high second pick
Heck even Thomas for a juicy Gold Coast outcome ( wright? Or Ben king or pick 2?)
Murphy takes langdons spot
Tyler takes Phillips
Daicos takes thomas

Delisting

Sack
Levi
Wells
Crocker
Reid

My recruiting targets would be

Ed Phillips ( dogs)

Peter wright ( suns)

Hugh greenwood ( crows)

We have currency and we should use it

We also have nick Daicos comming in
And where exactly would you play Hugh Greenwood???

Whose spot would he take?

Too all those saying we're so good
Really
We finished 4th and won a lot of games by little
Easier draw sure helped
We always need to take stock and look for improvement

We have a surplus of stock with depth really not to far off the pace Playing reserves who would appeal to some clubs

Imo
Here's the list barring injuries running around in Vfl WHO WONT WANT TO PLAY VFL

Aish
Sharenberg
Wills
Apple by
2 browns
1 Daicos
Broom head
Rough head

We have NO FIRST rounder this year

IMO we trade while they have currency

Think gws
Think hawthorn

My view is our list is very flexible , contains a lot of guys who really aren't world beaters

Ed Richards, Peter wright and Hugh greenwood would be quality

I'm sorry??

You're saying that to give youngesters a go, we must trade out experienced, players in their prime? Umm..

While we're in the premiership window?

None of this makes a lick of sense. Youngsters will improve, but you don't get rid of great players because of it.

Might as well just delist pendles, sidebottom, Sier, Beams, Tayor Adams while you're at it.

Common Jen

Shazz. How many knees and has shown that the upside is ? At best

Aish ain't top 22
Broomy ditto
Thomas will attract more than his value to us , if traded to suns , is he best 15

Hugh greenwood is a star and will get better, how olds pendels again , ain't going on forever

Simple YOU HAVE TO PLAN 5 years ahead that's how it's done

We finished 2nd by the end. I don't care if we win games by a point. The fact is you win them.

Trade Thomas? No way.

We have enough youngsters that will come in in a few years when our experienced retire.

We have the most elite players in the competition. You don't get rid of them at a time when you need them. If we get rid of our great players to play youngsters? we're no matter than gold coast. We don't need a rebuild.

Yes you plan 5 years ahead when you're struggling. We are not.

Strange to think about trades and delistings just before Round 1. Last thing on my mind. It all becomes fairly obvious once the season has played out.
It's speculation

You always need to plan

I see lots of change and players under the pump who maybe considered excess to needs , too simar in type or constant under achievers for what ever reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back