Do we need to trade some current players to improve the list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a ?
How do we get a first round pick next year?

Your opportunity to come up with something else

Got any ideas

Or it's easier to take CHEAP SHOTS

Here's the list of teams who you seemed to suggest are dynasty building:

Back your recruiting
Hawks did and do
Cats did and do
Gws did and do
Tigers did and do
Dons did and do

How many of them have been in the business of trading out young best 22 players in order to get early picks.

GWS are the only team who have done it and:
a)It's been the players and not the club's choice.
b)Considering the talent they had, they've underachieved. There's a fair chance that youngsters demanding to be traded has actually cost them a dynasty.

I see no particular need to trade for a first round selection and quite frankly the guys you want to trade aren't going to get us a particularly high pick. Broomhead has no trade value. Shaz would be pretty close to no trade value, due to his injury history. Thomas very little, due to a combination of age and him being a role player. We might get a pick in the teens for Phillips and one in the 20s for Langdon - the success rate of picks around there are nowhere near as high as many seem to think. Whilst we are in with a genuine chance of challenging for a flag, there is no way that I'd weaken the team in order to add a couple of speculative youngsters - which is what you get in that draft range.

My 5 year plan would be to try to win a premiership or 3 whilst we're in with a shot. I'd do this by trying to keep the current group together (particularly the 25 and unders, which includes Langdon and Phillips) Recruiting wise I'd target some good value trades for blokes who can fill immediate gaps in the squad. To be honest, I think that our list is very talented and if trying to nab some big fish, we'll struggle with cap space We'll probably have a few guys who want out for money or opportunity over that time period to pay for small needs based trades.

In the draft, when best available is not confidently believed, skew selections towards areas that we are likely to be deficient in 5 years time.

Grundy pick 18 yeah
Beams pick ?

Sorta shows we know what we're doing
Who wouldnt take those over Phillips or Langdon

Hawks traded picks
Cats traded picks

What they done this year

Got rid of the depth
Richmond same and picked up picks
Swans same

As for Dynasties . . . have you looked - REALLY looked at the AFL draft rules - or do you simply not understand them?

The rules are shaped in such a way as to give as many clubs as possible a chance at the flag every year by evening out the talent pool and forcing a much more even result spread across the season - resulting in much closer seasons - and not coincidentally better viewer results and higher betting profits from the two concerned industries.

Every team can have it's time in the sun - about 3 years seems the likely window now - unless fortune favours them with injuries to likely competitors. Other than that the draft rules ensure a turnover of talent and a return to the pack for each and every team.
Don't assume

Since afl started 16 teams have made a gf
17 have made prelims

Planned?
Drafting?

Is afl an event ?

Certainly ain't a comp , with biased fixtiring to teep maximum$

Hence load up on lions to make 8

Don't assume

Since afl started 16 teams have made a gf
17 have made prelims

Planned?
Drafting?

Is afl an event ?

Certainly ain't a comp , with biased fixtiring to teep maximum$

Hence load up on lions to make 8
The AFL is a corporate entity engaged in presenting an ENTERTAINMENT to it's customers.

We no longer have a competition - the AFL freely admit they are 'evening' the competition by means of drafting rules - this amounts to no more or less than actual competition tampering by penalizing the successful and ensuring their failure.

We have an endless treadmill of teams on their programmed path to glory and ignominy as ordained by the mass media and the betting Czars to ensure their improved profitability and this is all achieved by their agents - the lackey otherwise known as the AFL.

Whether you like this or even in fact believe it nevertheless it is the case.

See saintly
Great with the childish giffs
Personal insults
Bet none would say to my face

Not so good with comming up with any other solutions

Grow up

I'm entitled to an opinion
You don't have to agree

As the last poster said its entertainment , means nothing no more

Ps DONT EVER DEFEND ME PAL

stop looking for likes
Show some decorum

Show some balance

Shows how boring life is
A little thread to raise conversation causes this

We traded picks also.
I was doing a good job of understanding what you were saying, but this post really stumps me.
Bizarre thread @ this point of 2019

Lol

Every day of every year you need tone active

You unload your extras and get currency
Geelong
Hawks
Essendon
Richmond

Refer seedsman and wits

WHAT WE GET FOR THEM

This thread has no doubt provided lots of "entertainment" to many people, but surely enough is enough! Is there any way one of our kind and caring mods could step in and call a halt to this "train wreck" - and while you're at it suggest to the OP that he doesn't start any more threads for a while, or if he really thinks he must that he at least runs the idea past you first?! The thread started poorly for the OP, then went downhill fast. All we're getting (from him) are ramblings that make no sense, and it's not surprising that people are having a go at his posts and mocking him. Almost everyone seems to agree that there was never any point to this thread in the first place; closing it down (while we'd miss the "entertainment factor") would be the kind-hearted thing to do.

See saintly...
Let’s all be a little calm.

People can have whatever opinions they like and they can be countered likewise.

It should be done with some decorum, agree. Both ways.

Occasionally a little levity may be used, sometimes it misses the mark. Sometimes it makes the point.

Can’t say it was directed personally.

That said, in future when a thread goes into rambling train wreck mode, it might prudent I remain outside of it, lest

levity is misunderstood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has no doubt provided lots of "entertainment" to many people, but surely enough is enough! Is there any way one of our kind and caring mods could step in and call a halt to this "train wreck" - and while you're at it suggest to the OP that he doesn't start any more threads for a while, or if he really thinks he must that he at least runs the idea past you first?! The thread started poorly for the OP, then went downhill fast. All we're getting (from him) are ramblings that make no sense, and it's not surprising that people are having a go at his posts and mocking him. Almost everyone seems to agree that there was never any point to this thread in the first place; closing it down (while we'd miss the "entertainment factor") would be the kind-hearted thing to do.
giphy.gif

Grundy pick 18 yeah
Beams pick ?

Sorta shows we know what we're doing
Who wouldnt take those over Phillips or Langdon

Hawks traded picks
Cats traded picks

What they done this year

Got rid of the depth
Richmond same and picked up picks
Swans same

Now you're just being irrational.

Yes, Grundy was pick 18, same draft we took Kennedy @ 19, Broomy @ 20. Yes Beams was pick 29 but equally we could discuss McLarty (30), Freeman (10), McCarthy (31), Dawes (28), Stanley (21), Cook (23), Egan (10), Rusling (23), Morrison (17).

The draft is a lottery, no matter how well informed we are, a players potential career is even more a lottery.

We could be equally well placed by keeping the quality we have and utilising our later draft picks, and it doesn't risk destroying the fabric and cohesion of the team in the process.

People on here over inflate our team ( romanticism )

Media over rate our team and we've got lots of average players

Last night was benny hill like

Too much caution
Poor skills
Loose defending

I started this thread to raise awareness , same blokes again let us down

To think media scribes think Phillips is a grade , well disposal like that will change opinion fast

And the others I mentioned in the op

Well let's revisit that later

We have lots to worry about

Geelong with 6 new players 4 kids
Danger field, sellwood, menegola Hawkins blicavs Duncan all had average games below their standard
And no toohey

People on here over inflate our team ( romanticism )

Media over rate our team and we've got lots of average players

Last night was benny hill like

Too much caution
Poor skills
Loose defending

I started this thread to raise awareness , same blokes again let us down

To think media scribes think Phillips is a grade , well disposal like that will change opinion fast

And the others I mentioned in the op

Well let's revisit that later

We have lots to worry about

Geelong with 6 new players 4 kids
Danger field, sellwood, menegola Hawkins blicavs Duncan all had average games below their standard
And no toohey
You're an awfully sad case!! You either really are a 12-year-old or you act like one. Why not just support your team, rather than try and score cheap points. Most of the points you have been trying to make in this thread have been made to look utterly stupid, but you're still going. Sad, sad, sad!!!

You're an awfully sad case!! You either really are a 12-year-old or you act like one. Why not just support your team, rather than try and score cheap points. Most of the points you have been trying to make in this thread have been made to look utterly stupid, but you're still going. Sad, sad, sad!!!

What you feeding your eye dog mate

Didn't you watch last night
CERTAINLY BACKED UP MY ARGUMENT
, my predictions and others
Phillips peaked in value round 12 last year biggest butchered of the ball on our list AND THATS SAYING SOMETHING

What happens if Langdon doesn't intercept mark ( zip)

How did Thomas go

Geez write it off as a aberration , a once off

Get your pea brain around this
You sell high buy low

We should have got a trade done at peak value

For
Thomas
Phillips
Langdon

Or at least tried, very obvious we were short of currency

No first round next year I'll remind you

WATCH A REPLAY IVE WATCHED IT 3 times already

Which points
Langdon Phillips aren't up to it and cost us games again and again
Can't handle pressure with ball in hand?
Slow descision makers and poor option choosers

4 goals by their players

Proved wrong not last night

Denial ain't just in Egypt is it

Phillips peaked in value round 12 last year biggest butchered of the ball on our list AND THATS SAYING SOMETHING

How did Thomas go

You sell high buy low

For
Thomas
Phillips
Langdon

Too small a sample size to put a line through players.

How did Thomas go

You sell high buy low

For
Thomas
Phillips
Langdon

Last night didn't validate your arguments. Last night was a farce in which every player tried to outdo their teammates in providing comical relief. Almost all of them looked foolish at some stage, and most of them looked ridiculous for most of the night. I have favourite and less-favoured players, but I recognise that it's impossible to confirm or deny the virtues of an individual player in the context of such shitstorm. To suggest otherwise seems like pointless grandstanding.

How did Thomas go

You sell high buy low

For
Thomas
Phillips
Langdon

I made a suggestion to the mods quite a few posts back (they either didn't see it or chose to ignore it) that this appalling thread be closed down, to stop it from turning into even more of a sh**fest, and to stop you from continuing to make a complete clown of yourself, and annoying almost everyone!! It was inevitable that you'd come out swinging if we didn't perform all that well last night, yet if we had you would have copped it from all sides.

You need to learn how to post properly (remember the no caps lock rule that almost everybody understands), and try and act in an adult way. There was one poster here who was at least trying to stick up for you (a very kind-hearted soul) and you've seemingly even managed to alienate him. We have/have had some very ordinary posters around here over the years, but I'd say you would be up there with the worst.

I'm not wasting my time (or risking wearing out my "pea brain") arguing about the football side of things with you - I've not really ever seen many posts from you that I thought made much sense, so there's no point to that. If you could ever learn to post properly and just talk in a reasonable fashion your obvious enthusiasm for the cause just might one day see you taken seriously around here, but that seems a long way off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back