Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

One would think so but given the delay and that this is the AFL we’re talking about, it could well be the AFL is trying to finesse a 12 month ban and negotiating with ASASA to get them to accept the reasoning. Who knows, it will all come out eventually.
My money is on the AFL having stuffed up their drug awareness training. Told Murray and all other newbies that cocaine clears your system in 48 hours. Murray gets done for using cocaine much longer than 48 hours before game day. AFL says whoops. Murray's lawyers say fix it and threaten to not just challenge this case but the law itself. ASADA tell the AFL to fix it. AFL running around in circles like headless chickens.

Just a theory with no knowledge.

My money is on the AFL having stuffed up their drug awareness training. Told Murray and all other newbies that cocaine clears your system in 48 hours. Murray gets done for using cocaine much longer than 48 hours before game day. AFL says whoops. Murray's lawyers say fix it and threaten to not just challenge this case but the law itself. ASADA tell the AFL to fix it. AFL running around in circles like headless chickens.

Just a theory with no knowledge.

Why would ASADA care what Murray's lawyers or the AFL say? He tested positive to a PED, so he gets banned. They have nothing to threaten ASADA with

Why would ASADA care what Murray's lawyers or the AFL say? He tested positive to a PED, so he gets banned. They have nothing to threaten ASADA with

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the AFL tribunal have to bring down the finding against Murray, so they view it as their call but it has to be ticked off by ASADA.

My theory is that the AFL would have been dumb and arrogant enough to have given Murray's lawyers a wink and done a deal for him to get 12 months. ASADA say no. AFL try to bully ASADA. ASADA run to WADA. WADA laugh and say he got done for cocaine on match day, he gets 4 years. AFL boss calls WADA and says "Do you know who I am? He's only getting 1 years." WADA reply with "No and He's getting 4 years."

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the AFL tribunal have to bring down the finding against Murray, so they view it as their call but it has to be ticked off by ASADA.

My theory is that the AFL would have been dumb and arrogant enough to have given Murray's lawyers a wink and done a deal for him to get 12 months. ASADA say no. AFL try to bully ASADA. ASADA run to WADA. WADA laugh and say he got done for cocaine on match day, he gets 4 years. AFL boss calls WADA and says "Do you know who I am? He's only getting 1 years." WADA reply with "No and He's getting 4 years."

I'm pretty sure that's nothing at all like what happens? Why would the AFL tribunal get involved?

It's between Murray and ASADA/WADA, and he's in no position to demand lesser sentences

I'm pretty sure that's nothing at all like what happens? Why would the AFL tribunal get involved?

It's between Murray and ASADA/WADA, and he's in no position to demand lesser sentences

Did you miss the Essendon Saga? There was an AFL tribunal that cleared the Dons players and then ASADA appealed the decision and the Dons went down.

Did you miss the Essendon Saga? There was an AFL tribunal that cleared the Dons players and then ASADA appealed the decision and the Dons went down.

Okay I really don't understand the process then because I haven't heard or seen anything about the AFL tribunal getting involved so far.

Okay I really don't understand the process then because I haven't heard or seen anything about the AFL tribunal getting involved so far.

It's ASADA rules, but the sport's governing body is responsible for applying the rules, the AFL sets up a tribunal to hear the case. If ASADA aren't happy with the tribunal's finding it gets appealed and ASADA re-hear the case. After the stuff up with the Dons, where the AFL came off looking dodgy for clearing the players, the AFL will probably run their judgement through ASADA before announcing if they're giving less than four years. That's my guess about where we are at. The AFL are trying to give him 1 or 2 years rather than 4 and trying to get ASADA approval. I think thats the most feasible explanation for the delay.

It's ASADA rules, but the sport's governing body is responsible for applying the rules, the AFL sets up a tribunal to hear the case. If ASADA aren't happy with the tribunal's finding it gets appealed and ASADA re-hear the case. After the stuff up with the Dons, where the AFL came off looking dodgy for clearing the players, the AFL will probably run their judgement through ASADA before announcing if they're giving less than four years. That's my guess about where we are at. The AFL are trying to give him 1 or 2 years rather than 4 and trying to get ASADA approval. I think thats the most feasible explanation for the delay.

Only a minor point of correction to the above: ASADA doesn’t rehear an appeal, that’s not their role. Appeals go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) that is independent. The party doing the appealing would be ASADA.

or, WADA reply - "Yes, we know who you are and the guy before you but we wish we didn't".

Ugh I always anticipate a small sense of impending relief (one way or another) when I see posts in this thread ... and end up walking away disappointed every time.

Either that or WADA and ASADA are like...."My brain hurts", "my heads stuck in the cupboard"...."how do we scam our next round of gubment funding?"

If he was suspended for 12 months I assume it would be retrospective. If so conceivably when would he be eligible to play again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was suspended for 12 months I assume it would be retrospective. If so conceivably when would he be eligible to play again?
Yes all the time since he was provisionally suspended counts towards the final penalty.

You’d be looking somewhere in August or so.

Reality is this has become a joke and a farce. We would already know what the penalty is in any other sport last year, then it would be up to him to appeal the decision handed down.
And what’s with him training at his old home club, if he is been given permission there, why not at his current club.
Just finding this whole matter very sus indeed.

Named premature when rules indicate you aren't guilty to the b sample comes back

Forced to be unavailable for a finals run although technically not guilty as b still not in

No media coverage wtf
ALLOwed to train wtf

Purple arsed by Eddie
Just purchased a mustang

Hope it's a colour Sam likes
Legal case
Afl website
Purple

This may get real ugly

The longer this goes the more likely it is

The silence is deafening

Have we conclusively ruled out a pony based explanation for this mystery?

Have we conclusively ruled out a pony based explanation for this mystery?

Because we all know that if the ponies had a hoof in this then it'd be a marquee man like JDG in the firing line, perhaps Pendles as well, rather than this twilight zone where we're waiting for the destiny of a fringe type.

Because we all know that if the ponies had a hoof in this then it'd be a marquee man like JDG in the firing line, perhaps Pendles as well, rather than this twilight zone where we're waiting for the destiny of a fringe type.

you might be forgiven for thinking that, but...

Just purchased a mustang

I sense the stirrings of the juvenilequine horror.

I agree except for the wording of your last line. The AFL will not be the ones giving out the punishment. This is very different to the Essendon saga, where I don't believe there were any individual positive tests (which would've been dealt with automatically by ASADA) but the exposure of team-wide doping with a very likely (99%) banned substance, and the coverups by the club (+/- AFL) that followed. It only escalated because ASADA/WADA were not happy with how the AFL dealt with it.

Murray's result goes straight to ASADA, and they will be the ones handing down the punishment - which they AFL will very likely have to comply with. AFAIK, the AFL are not really supposed to have involvement in the actual process, but it's very likely that they will be scheming to get the best outcome for the AFL. (which could be try to push for soft sentence, which would go along with their shitty illicit drugs policy, and appease the AFLPA, or less likely, try and push for a harder sentence, if they want to make an example out of this case) - ultimately though, ASADA decide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back