Under 19.5 Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the point of Under 19.5? It sounds harsh but if you cant get a kick in the reserves when you are 18 then give up.

In my opinion the EDFL need to go back to Under 18.

Its no point having old blokes running around in the reserves when kids who are not at senior level are playing Under 19.5.

Good Senior footy is made better by having a strong reserves team.
Maybe they should go back to u18 or instead add an under 21 or 23 age group

Has the league decided on this years age group is it 19s or 19.5s. Clubs may loose players to the local ammo clubs.
Will clubs filled teams as season 18 lacked talent

Under 19’s next year announced last year
Will Avondale Glenroy and EDS field teams who has the best list if we base it off the 17s it will be Strathmore and Aberfeldie I can’t see Maribyrnong being a threat as their 17s didn’t fair that well in this age group.

Thoughts

You wouldn't have many people playing if that was the stance. Some people develop at a slower rate. So what level were you at when 18?

I dont think it really matters as I’m now I’m now 50.
I was captain of my Under 18 team and played Senior footy straight away the next year.

I can’t think of anyone that could not play reserves footy as an 18 year old that amounted to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think it really matters as I’m now I’m now 50.
I was captain of my Under 18 team and played Senior footy straight away the next year.

I can’t think of anyone that could not play reserves footy as an 18 year old that amounted to anything.

Who says you have to amount to anything all players are different so you might not be a senior player but you could be a handy reserves player and a great club man if we followed your lead then I think most clubs would be short on depth and playing stock . By chance are you involved with coaching as if you are I would not want my kids any where near you . As I think you would be a win at all cost and only look after the good players type of coach.

Who says you have to amount to anything all players are different so you might not be a senior player but you could be a handy reserves player and a great club man if we followed your lead then I think most clubs would be short on depth and playing stock . By chance are you involved with coaching as if you are I would not want my kids any where near you . As I think you would be a win at all cost and only look after the good players type of coach.

Players are better off playing against men from an earlier age.

It’s much better having 18 year olds in the twos gaining valuable experience to get better....

It’s no good having clubs make up numbers in the reserves with old players. It dilutes the standard... It’s much better to give kids a go...

I did coach juniors and did do rotations and gave all kids a go.....

I think seniors clubs are different.

Under 19.5 standard would not be very good. All the good young 18 and 19 year old players would be playing senior footy.......

The lesser players have to play against men at some stage. The EDFL once went up to only Under 17. What’s the point of diluting the standard of the reserves and senior competition to give a few players that are not up to it a game?

If you are not up to reserves level then go down to a lower division club.... anyone can get a game in Div 2 reserves level.

Last edited:
Players are better off playing against men from an earlier age.

It’s much better having 18 year olds in the twos gaining valuable experience to get better....

It’s no good having clubs make up numbers in the reserves with old players. It dilutes the standard... It’s much better to give kids a go...

I did coach juniors and did do rotations and gave all kids a go.....

I think seniors clubs are different.

Under 19.5 standard would not be very good. All the good young 18 and 19 year old players would be playing senior footy.......

The lesser players have to play against men at some stage. The EDFL once went up to only Under 17. What’s the point of diluting the standard of the reserves and senior competition to give a few players that are not up to it a game?

If you are not up to reserves level then go down to a lower division club.... anyone can get a game in Div 2 reserves level.

I agree with some of your reasoning but this bit "If you are not up to reserves level then go down to a lower division club.... anyone can get a game in Div 2 reserves level." is so narrow minded so you have a young man who has played in your club from juniors and he and his family are invested in the club and because you don't think he is as good as everybody else you would tell him and his family to go to another club .In this day and age it is so hard to get players and families of players to invest time and effort and participate in club activities instead of telling him he is not good enough I would work hard to get a senior thirds side up and keep people and players around a club invest in a good development coach and give the blokes a chance and you never know you might unearth a diamond in the rough .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as this year and the year before. Problem is if they just have senior thirds, the young boys can be playing against men, who will hit them harder than they have ever been. So better that they just play up a maximum of 2.5 Years rather than 10.

I’m hearing a lot clubs struggling to fed a U 19s in all divisions.
I’m hearing
Airport west
Avondale
Glenroy
EDS
Will not field a side will the EDFL promote div 1 clubs such as East Keilor
West meadows Hillside or will they have a 6 team comp.
Aberfeldie
Keilor
Strathmore
Pascoe Vale
Greenvale
Marby Park which are not certain to field a team either.

I’m hearing
Airport west
Avondale
Glenroy
EDS
Aberfeldie
Keilor
Strathmore
Pascoe Vale
Greenvale

EDS will know this week whether they will have a side, 50/50 at the moment
APW not expected to field a side at this stage but are still trying to drum up numbers
Avondale will have a side, spoke to a bloke on the weekend and they currently have 24 listed with and expect to increase that by 4 in the next few weeks, lot of hard work behind the scenes so well done there
Glenroy long odds to field a time , just been too hard to get enough numbers together in that area
Marby will field a team

Bloody tough division for players pretty much everywhere these days. I wonder if the leagues would ever consider a combined comp, or is that not feasible?
Go back evens that will resolve the world as boys are still at school and play footy with their mates
Not hard to work out this will also fix the U 17s as TAC don’t allow boys to play Sunday football

Go back evens that will resolve the world as boys are still at school and play footy with their mates
Not hard to work out this will also fix the U 17s as TAC don’t allow boys to play Sunday football
Are you sure about the TAC & not playing Sunday footy? Or do you mean play TAC sat & U17 Sunday same weekend not allowed as I agree that wouldn't happen.

Ist year TAC cup kids would need to play U17 local on Sun if not picked & would be allowed to play.

I’m hearing
Airport west
Avondale
Glenroy
EDS
Aberfeldie
Keilor
Strathmore
Pascoe Vale
Greenvale

They need to detach the U19s from the Seniors (yes I appreciate the logistics with grounds) then have a graded three tier competition with equal number of teams

Five days out of the season opener and there are still no fixtures. What the * are the league doing.

No Thirds either and only two rounds of the Women's

Five days out of the season opener and there are still no fixtures. What the **** are the league doing.

No Thirds either and only two rounds of the Women's
Reason being that another 2 clubs pulled their teams over the weekend so the drafted fixture had to be re-done yesterday. Fixture for the next couple of weeks will be released by the end of today.. This one not the EDFL fault, if clubs can't commit either way if they have a team then they can't fixture.. And EDFL wanted to give clubs a much time as possible thus giving them this late..

Will be interested to see who has and who doesn't have a side and who has two or more sides in the 17's and 19's age groups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back